Overcoming bad grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering how the best way to overcome bad grades (1 C + 2C+'s +2 B-'s) all in bcpm courses would be. I have a 3.1 gpa currently which is really bad and I am a sophomore. I calculated what my grades would be with straight A's from now on and I could get a ~3.4 bcpm and ~3.5 overall by the end of junior year...would this still be too low or since the last 3 semesters before I apply are solid 4.0's would it be okay? I am thinking of retaking physics again (1 C & 1 C+) next year. If I get A's then, would it show improvement and so it would be better? or is it best not to retake them but to take other upperlevel classes instead? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

improvimg your gpa that much in that period of time makes a strong statement about your work ethic and ability.
while your overall gpa would not be outstanding, the recent trend in your grades would probably gain interest from schools, especially with a strong performance on the MCAT

It happens. Better now than during your junior year or senior year.

I got 2 C's and a C+ my freshman/sophomore year (all BCPM). Upward trends in your GPA are definitely taken note of. This is not that big of a deal. Just do very well in all the rest of your BCPM courses and knock the MCAT out of the park. Fortunately, my C's came in my 2 strongest subjects (physics and gen chem) and I did very well on PS section of the MCAT to somewhat displace the poor grades in those subjects.

Don't get down on yourself. It takes time and hard work. Good luck! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was wondering how the best way to overcome bad grades (1 C + 2C+'s +2 B-'s) all in bcpm courses would be. I have a 3.1 gpa currently which is really bad and I am a sophomore. I calculated what my grades would be with straight A's from now on and I could get a ~3.4 bcpm and ~3.5 overall by the end of junior year...would this still be too low or since the last 3 semesters before I apply are solid 4.0's would it be okay? I am thinking of retaking physics again (1 C & 1 C+) next year. If I get A's then, would it show improvement and so it would be better? or is it best not to retake them but to take other upperlevel classes instead? Thanks!

improvimg your gpa that much in that period of time makes a strong statement about your work ethic and ability.
while your overall gpa would not be outstanding, the recent trend in your grades would probably gain interest from schools, especially with a strong performance on the MCAT

The above advice is good but I would encourage you to figure out WHY you performed so poorly in your coursework before you invest a single dollar in re-taking coursework. You have a long road ahead of you and you need to be sure that your study skills are outstanding because you have little room for error. Spend some time figuring out what you need to achieve those As and get the job done. It's a long haul and it's doable but you need to make sure that you have a strong foundation that will enable you to master anything.

yea..i realize that getting straight A's will be difficult..but I have been thinking of getting a tutor for orgo 2 since that class will probably be my most difficult one..another thing is I have been reading a lot of study tips and am determined to do well..I have also thought intensely about why I haven't been doing very well..and think I have narrowed it down and will work to not fall into the same path..

so provided I get atleast a 3.7 or above (hopefully solid A's) each semester from now on...do I have a chance as a traditional applicant?

Also, should I start studying for the mcats now or wait until the summer?

yea..i realize that getting straight A's will be difficult..but I have been thinking of getting a tutor for orgo 2 since that class will probably be my most difficult one..another thing is I have been reading a lot of study tips and am determined to do well..I have also thought intensely about why I haven't been doing very well..and think I have narrowed it down and will work to not fall into the same path..

so provided I get atleast a 3.7 or above (hopefully solid A's) each semester from now on...do I have a chance as a traditional applicant?

Also, should I start studying for the mcats now or wait until the summer?

Do you have a chance? The honest answer depends a LOT on your MCAT scores. If they are great, then yes you do. If they are just okay, then you still have a chance but maybe not a great one, if they are bad then no you don't.

Don't let the grades you have now dissuade you, keep working hard, get good grades from now on and kick butt on the MCAT and you can do it!

The above advice is good but I would encourage you to figure out WHY you performed so poorly in your coursework before you invest a single dollar in re-taking coursework. You have a long road ahead of you and you need to be sure that your study skills are outstanding because you have little room for error. Spend some time figuring out what you need to achieve those As and get the job done. It's a long haul and it's doable but you need to make sure that you have a strong foundation that will enable you to master anything.

Listen to Njbmd...lots of experience. This post takes the thought process about grade trends a step further. If you don't have a very solid grasp on what happened to make you perform poorly in your earlier years, then it is very dangerous to continuing taking courses. You must know exactly why, and how to alter your core behaviors so you can get the grade trend you want. If you don't have that motivation and understanding, then taking more courses might actually hurt you instead of help! so make sure you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. Aim for that 4.0 every single time and do whatever it takes to get it and you'll have a good shot. Take it from me, I've been there.

It's easy to look back and say, "I was stupid back then, I should have done better," and think that you'll just retake everything for A's. Most people think that way. We look back and think of each class individually and think of all the mistakes we made, not spending enough time on this assignment, not studying enough for this midterm, but it's easy to forget that once you pile these classes on top of each other and you have to juggle 5 classes at a time along with all the other things going on in your life, it's no picnic.

If you messed up the first time, that means the next time you have to fundamentally change your approach. For me, it's all about doing the reading before class (which I never did), going to class (I used to skip class a lot) and studying in the library (I procrastinated way too much when studying at home, but the atmosphere of the library focuses me). Those are the major things, but there are also little things like sleeping earlier and waking up earlier, and working out every day without fail to keep me sharp for the rest of the day (Obama is a good role model for that).