Overcoming low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mars41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my DIY post-bac at a local college this semester. I have received a ton of help and encouragement from this forum and hope I can inspire others as well.

As a low gpa non-trad, the DO route seems to be my best option.

I am afraid however that I am in a hole too deep to dig out of and the Caribbean may be my only option.

Situation:

2.5 undergrad GPA

140+ IQ with no motivation and health issues throughout my prior years of study

liberal arts grad with 0 science credits

President of college surf team

Director of non-profit

5000+ volunteer hours with Special Olympics, Wounded Warrior Project, Florida School for the Deaf and Blind

Confident in my standardized test taking abilities and potential for success in future coursework.

Problem:

My only courses I got below a C in during my undergrad work was 4 1000 level art/music electives. Would it really be helpful for me to stay an extra year to retake art and music???

Even if I ace my postbac my cumulative GPA will still be 2.8ish.

Hypothetical 2.8 overall, 3.7 science, high MCAT, good LOR's and clinical experience.

How do you overcome that low overall GPA with 120+ credits???

All advice greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Edit: accidentally posted twice from cellphone

Last edited:
I think that if you get a 3.7+ on your post bac then it will trump whatever you go in UG.

Also AACOMAS does grade replacement so you can retake those music courses if you wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You apply anyway, broadly, and hope that human eyeballs will save you from the autoscreen. Ideally, if you could do a SMP at a school like TUNCOM, TUCOM-CA or PCOM, to name a few, then that would be your backdoor into med school.

So apply broadly, warts and all. Contact some Admissions deans to see if you'd still be competitive.

I am starting my DIY post-bac at a local college this semester. I have received a ton of help and encouragement from this forum and hope I can inspire others as well.

As a low gpa non-trad, the DO route seems to be my best option.

I am afraid however that I am in a hole too deep to dig out of and the Caribbean may be my only option.

Situation:

2.5 undergrad GPA

140+ IQ with no motivation and health issues throughout my prior years of study

liberal arts grad with 0 science credits

President of college surf team

Director of non-profit

5000+ volunteer hours with Special Olympics, Wounded Warrior Project, Florida School for the Deaf and Blind

Confident in my standardized test taking abilities and potential for success in future coursework.

Problem:

My only courses I got below a C in during my undergrad work was 4 1000 level art/music electives. Would it really be helpful for me to stay an extra year to retake art and music???

Even if I ace my postbac my cumulative GPA will still be 2.8ish.

Hypothetical 2.8 overall, 3.7 science, high MCAT, good LOR's and clinical experience.

How do you overcome that low overall GPA with 120+ credits???

All advice greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro I am not very familiar with the SMP programs. Would that be the alternate route AFTER I have taken my necessary prereqs and attempted applying to med school or would I do the SMP INSTEAD of the DIY postbac???

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice @Goro. You have been so helpful to me on my journey to med school. I wouldn't have thought it were possible to become a physician if it wasn't for your words of wisdom and encouragement. I truly appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
If you do a DIY post-bac program, also retake some of those "C" grades, and that cumulative GPA will be up above 3.0. In reality, many schools auto-screen anything below a 3.0, (some below a 2.8, others below a 3.2, but 3.0 seems to be the median), so try your hardest to break that.

I had a similar problem except I was a science major. After fall of junior year I was around 2.7 cumulative. Took around 90 hours of additional courses and 12 retake hours to get to tmdsas 3.4 and aacomas 3.5. Then I did the 1 year smp at unthsc to help with my chances in TX. Ended up with a 3.8 there and an offer to stay in TX. My gpa repair started spring semester 09 and orientation for 1st year starts Monday. It's been a LONG journey so far.

Good luck. Just remember that it's not going to be easy, but it's doable.

Reactions: 1 users