Overnight Healthcare professionals!! Cancer maybe linked to over night shifts!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feelit83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw that on the news too! I immediately thought of our night shift pharmacists on here. :eek:

Hopefully that's not true...I mean it almost seems like just about anything could be linked to cancer. (<-- that statement had NO scientific basis BTW)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm ALOT more concerned with me falling asleep while driving home and getting into a car wreck (only 8 hrs sleep the last two days; at most 2 consecutive hrs....) :sleep:

my momma always said I'm gonna get cancer anyways cause I don't eat fruits or vegetables :D

hmm, i was really considering working the graveyard shifts.

I dunno. So many variables & really not a documented study - just observation & not published in a signifcant peer reviewed journal.

Cancer has so many variables.....gender, age, comorbidities, genetics, stress, etc.

To focus on just one aspect of a person's life, the time they work, without ruling out all other aspects seems a bit narrow focused & "hysterical" in nature.

It certainly makes for good press though!

prevention beats treatment anydays..
its best to prevent cancer by not working nightshifts
then to wait around until a scientific research confirms
the study.. by that time you'll have cancer already n
it'll be too late to treat it..

even if future studies disprove this hypothesis, your
prevention will still give you a good night sleep..

one of my overnight pharmacists smokes like a chimney...so if anything is going to get her....

interesting article, but not really any strong science. and, honestly, what DOESN'T cause cancer?

prevention beats treatment anydays..
its best to prevent cancer by not working nightshifts
then to wait around until a scientific research confirms
the study.. by that time you'll have cancer already n
it'll be too late to treat it..

even if future studies disprove this hypothesis, your
prevention will still give you a good night sleep..

unless you're that patient who needs the expertise of a pharmacist in the middle of the night.....then I'd have restless sleep if I was the person who said I absolutely refused a night shift because of a groundless fear.

I can't tell you how many cardioplegics, dopamine drips, phenylephrine drips I've mixed or doses of antibiotics I've calculated so somebody's treatment can get started in the middle of the night.

Remember - there is a patient at the other end & healthcare is a 24/7 job. Somebody is going to be there if you or your family member is in the hospital....or even discharged from the ER at night.

No problem in saying you just don't want to work nights....but, a dop will laugh right off his chair if you said that to him/her.

Wow, this is scary considering i just signed on for an overnight position with CVS :(

well,let me tell you something, if you are working with CVS night shifts are good for u, it is extremly stressful working with CVS for day shifts ,many pharmacists are qutting from CVS, myself a victim of CVS.

on the other hand, if I get cancer, I can mix my own chemo and adminsiter while at work :smuggrin: