Overnight Hospital Pharmacists

Started by illusions
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

illusions

Believe & U Can Succeed
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious on the staffing at various hospitals on the overnight shift? How many pharmacists? what is the census? what is the workload like?
 
varies GREATLY.

some places are small and the orders pickup in evening but stop for the most part. nothing big, most meds distributed earlier on so no big missing med issues. only some emergency ivs here and there for a crashing person in the ICU. that is about it though. depends where you are though
 
3rd shift is probably one of the busiest at my hospital b/c doing fills that aren't done during the day (ie surgery) - and we just have one tech and one pharmacist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I worked overnight at a 300 bed hospital, was alone for 4 hours of the night. Routinely did 15 admits, including some per pharmacy stuff. It could be absolutely miserable. But some nights only 2 or 3 admits and just some occasional odds and ends. Overall---I would rather work days or 2nd shift from a stress perspective.
 
I work at a 276 bed hospital and overnights is 1 RPh and 1 tech. When working this shift, I'm the only pharmacist in the building from 2230-0700.

Workload is variable. One night, it can be nonstop, the next it can be quiet.
 
I work at a 276 bed hospital and overnights is 1 RPh and 1 tech. When working this shift, I'm the only pharmacist in the building from 2230-0700.

Workload is variable. One night, it can be nonstop, the next it can be quiet.

Ditto this. I work in a 400 bed hospital. We have 2 pharmacists and 3 technicians on 3rd shift. I'm not one of the 3rd shift pharmacists but do occasionally work it. In addition to being responsible for the orders on their shifts, thirds also fill and deliver the envelopes for the entire hospital, do the morning pick for the med cabinets (takes a good 1&1/2 hours or more for a tech and pharmacist to do) and prepare the cardioplegia for open heart surgery. It can definitely be crazy. I am always happy to see a 1st shift pharmacist walk in the door at 5:30am.
 
two pharmacists and two techs on my nightshift. workload varies; we take care of three hospitals for our system which totals just over 600 beds.
 
850 beds (but patient census is currently pretty low). Including satellite pharmacies, 6 pharmacists and 10 techs. With the low census, not so bad. But it can get hectic.