Overqualified and Rejected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applyingnotfun

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to be overqualified for a school? I am just wondering because today I was waitlisted at USF, a school that I thought I would almost certainly get in. I have interviewed at schools like Duke, Penn, and Vanderbilt, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't get into USF. Anyone have any idea on this topic? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are from Florida? USF virtually take only Floridians.

i would say it's not a matter of OVERqualification, more a matter of not meeting THEIRqualifications. Admissions is a pretty random process (you can do searches on this forum and see that time and time again, this is the ultimate conclusion.) Don't take offense that you didn't get into a "sure thing" school and think the same will happen somewhere else. some people are "over", others "under", some happened to use a font that the application reviewer liked.... there's no way to predict. 4.0, 45T will get rejected just as easily as a 2.7, 24M

Members don't see this ad :)
One word. Interview.

Could be many reasons eg. after a second review they did not like the way you responded to a secondary question, they particularly did not like your interview response(s) etc. You can never know the answer.

Though I agree that one can be rejected or put on hold for many reasons, I also think that it's possible, even likely, that schools intentionally waitlist applicants that they feel are overqualified. A school has absolutely no reason to accept an applicant that is likely to decline the offer. It would push their selectivity rating down. From their perspective, it's more prudent to offer you the waitlist and see what happens later in the year. If you're still interested in April, then they can give you a second look.

Why do you think they ask how many schools you applied to? They wouldn't ask unless they used this information. If you're "overqualified" and you tell them that you applied to 20 schools, then they are likely to think that you'll be heading elsewhere.

Originally posted by IluvMCAT
Though I agree that one can be rejected or put on hold for many reasons, I also think that it's possible, even likely, that schools intentionally waitlist applicants that they feel are overqualified. A school has absolutely no reason to accept an applicant that is likely to decline the offer. It would push their selectivity rating down. From their perspective, it's more prudent to offer you the waitlist and see what happens later in the year. If you're still interested in April, then they can give you a second look.

Why do you think they ask how many schools you applied to? They wouldn't ask unless they used this information. If you're "overqualified" and you tell them that you applied to 20 schools, then they are likely to think that you'll be heading elsewhere.

Yep. I agree, if only to make myself feel better. I was waitlisted at USF along with one of my friends. We both have stats well above USF's average, and we are sure that our interviews went well. Oh well, we both have acceptances elsewhere, so it really doesn't matter, although it still makes me wonder what happened . . .

ditto. waitlisted at usf and uf, but accepted to uva out-of-state, offered interview at tulane. i think usf wants to see if you're still interested at the end of the year. uf is another animal altogether...

i think there is some validity to this argument, but it is certainly not a definite reason. i say that because i know for sure that usf adcom people know that they are a backup for me, and i still got in. so that would make me say that schools sometimes let people in that they think may turn them down eventually.

at the same time, miami didn't even offer me an interview, and i have to think that is because they feel i'm overqualified and they don't want to waste their interviewer's time, thinking i wouldn't attend.

so i realize i've given example both supporting and refuting the notion here, so the point is... this is all just a huge crapshoot.

Agreed. I haven't heard from Miami, either. I am officially confused about how schools decide. I know that my EC's aren't the best in the world, but they are at least average. My essays probably weren't amazing either, but I sure hope they weren't so bad to negate my GPA and MCAT completely. I worked hard on those two suckers.:confused:

who knows. i have an interview at Miami coming up over winter break. they'll probably waitlist me just like USF. maybe I could get waitlisted at every school i interview at. that would have to be some kind of record. or maybe i should try to have crap interviews and see if i can get accepted that way.

I know USF's waitlist is about a mile long, so have no fear. Last year they sent out a slew of acceptances after the new year (my friend got in that way).

As for Miami, I interviewed there on Monday and they told all of us to not expect to hear anything until mid to late January. Damn them!