Overqualified applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehappydoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey SN people,

so first i want to clarify that me myself am not overqualified for any medical school (altho i wish i was haha) but i have heard that some overqualified applicants are so much higher than the avg gpa/mcat of the school that they are screened out? just heard about this and could not believe it!!!

Members don't see this ad.

hey SN people,

so first i want to clarify that me myself am not overqualified for any medical school (altho i wish i was haha) but i have heard that some overqualified applicants are so much higher than the avg gpa/mcat of the school that they are screened out? just heard about this and could not believe it!!!

Jealous adcoms who couldn't get a 40 on the MCAT 40 years ago.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
OP---I think there is some concern with top tier applicants applying to lower end schools as a safety.

If a 40/4.0 applicant is applying to a bottom ranked school--and based off the secondary it appears he is using the school as a safety--some AdComs dislike this and might screen.

They have limited interview seats thus wanna offer them to people who they feel will come.

hey SN people,

What you've heard is a load of crap.

I was accepted to two schools where my MCAT score was 13 points above their matriculant average and my GPA was .4 above their matriculant average.

No one gets screened out simply because their stats are "too good", unless there are some schools out there manned by complete and utter *****s.

There isn't such a thing. Most low/mid-tier schools have legitimate reasons for not jumping out of their seats for a superstat applicant (don't have a strong focus on research, don't think they're a good candidate to be a doctor, etc.)

What you've heard is a load of crap.

I was accepted to two schools where my MCAT score was 13 points above their matriculant average and my GPA was .4 above their matriculant average.

No one gets screened out simply because their stats are "too good", unless there are some schools out there manned by complete and utter *****s.

Did you have regional ties to these schools?

I think this does happen, based on anecdotal evidence.

I heard about this first from a group of med students who all applied to the med school closest to where we live ( all live in the sam area). the school which is very popular was bottom tier and had avg gpa/low mcat and all the people in this group were much higher in gpa.mcat...they wanted to go to this school to stay close to home but say they were rejected because they were "too good"

just wondering if they were telling the truth?

I heard about this first from a group of med students who all applied to the med school closest to where we live ( all live in the sam area). the school which is very popular was bottom tier and had avg gpa/low mcat and all the people in this group were much higher in gpa.mcat...they wanted to go to this school to stay close to home but say they were rejected because they were "too good"

just wondering if they were telling the truth?

They were speculating.

true...but have you guys also heard of this? know any schools who do it?

I'm sure schools are hesitant about stellar applicants with no obvious reason (IS, family, etc) for applying other than it being a safety school for them.

I don't think that's a good enough reason (in the adcoms mind) to outright reject them though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much any school is going to reject you if you don't show interest. When this happens at a lower-tier school, people like to say that they are "over-qualified." More likely, you were using the school as a safety or you didn't convince the adcoms that you wanted to go there.

Bottom line, take all of your secondaries seriously. Schools want to interview people that might actually attend. If your friends did want to go to that school, then they must not have been very convincing.

A dean of a lower tier md school who is a friend of one of my professors came to my school to talk about admissions to a few students and outright told us they will reject people who have too high of stats because they know they'll get in/go elsewhere. I'm sure this isnt the case at every school, but I know this definitely isn't made up considering I heard it straight from the dean of a school.

Pretty much any school is going to reject you if you don't show interest. When this happens at a lower-tier school, people like to say that they are "over-qualified." More likely, you were using the school as a safety or you didn't convince the adcoms that you wanted to go there.

Bottom line, take all of your secondaries seriously. Schools want to interview people that might actually attend. If your friends did want to go to that school, then they must not have been very convincing.
A whole lot of safety schools (i.e private, lower ranked schools) don't have secondary essays, so I just don't understand how they can tell if an applicant is truly interested.

A whole lot of safety schools (i.e private, lower ranked schools) don't have secondary essays, so I just don't understand how they can tell if an applicant is truly interested.

I didn't run into too many like that when I was applying, but I guess it's possible.

You can also tell quite a bit from the personal statement, which can give an idea about what type of career one is expecting. If someone is applying to a low-ranked private school wanting to do research and be a leader in medicine, there is very little chance they will get an interview.

My point is that you shouldn't be too worried about being rejected for being "overqualified." Most schools can easily find some other reason to reject you. I wouldn't let it stop you from applying anywhere you would like to go.

I didn't run into too many like that when I was applying, but I guess it's possible.

You can also tell quite a bit from the personal statement, which can give an idea about what type of career one is expecting. If someone is applying to a low-ranked private school wanting to do research and be a leader in medicine, there is very little chance they will get an interview.

My point is that you shouldn't be too worried about being rejected for being "overqualified." Most schools can easily find some other reason to reject you. I wouldn't let it stop you from applying anywhere you would like to go.
I know of several because I specifically sought them out when I was applying. I didn't wanna write essays for schools I didn't want to go to, but I was told I needed more "safeties". There's no way they could have known, but still, I didn't get interviews at these schools haha.

Schools have missions. If you have a 4.0, 45, but come from a white suburb and have no service or experience in an urban area or with an urban, racially diverse population, you probably won't get any love from the inner city public, service-oriented medical schools like BU.

this absolutely happens, its not even up for debate. mid- and low-tier schools can't interview everyone they think is qualified. They have to select for students who they think are likely to attend if accepted.

schools like rosalind franklin would be accepting over 1000 students to fill each class if yield protection was not a real thing.

This definitely happens- why would a school waste their time interviewing an applicant when they know from previous years that this applicant is going to matriculate someplace else 99% of the time.

OP---I think there is some concern with top tier applicants applying to lower end schools as a safety...some AdComs dislike this and might screen.

I finally get it now. Yale, Penn, Dartmouth, and NYMC all rejected me out of fear that they were merely my backup to Hopkins.

images

It totally happens. I know that the University of Utah School of Medicine screens off the top 10% of the pool because they assume that they will go somewhere else.

Pretty much this. I think a lot of people confuse "screening" out applicants with great stats with simply raising the threshold for expected demonstrated interest. From the perspective of a school, they have no reason to assume top applicants are serious about attending their school. Thus, unless applicants convincingly demonstrate otherwise, it's probably more expedient to simply reject them. However, that doesn't mean that it is impossible for an applicant to demonstrate that they are serious, which is what people are suggesting when they whine about their rejections being because they were "too qualified" for the school. Every school loves to have higher MCAT/GPA averages, but you have to convince them that you're worth their time first.

This definitely happens- why would a school waste their time interviewing an applicant when they know from previous years that this applicant is going to matriculate someplace else 99% of the time.

They wouldn't unless they gave them reasonable cause to believe that the applicant may be serious (convincing essays, personal connections, geographic favorability, etc). To those claiming that Deans have personally confessed to just skimming the top of their applicant pool--I have to call BS on this unless you show some sort of evidence. This is an extraordinary claim and can't just be accepted on hearsay. Keep in mind that if even a single applicant is accepted with high stats, that means the school absolutely does not skim applicants at that level...thus that would mean that every year after year after year not a single applicant with high stats is accepted. Some people are suggesting that they don't even offer any of these applicants interviews? This is hardly likely, and it's instead more likely that these schools raise the threshold for demonstrated interest that they expect from applicants with high stats.

Pretty much this. I think a lot of people confuse "screening" out applicants with great stats with simply raising the threshold for expected demonstrated interest. From the perspective of a school, they have no reason to assume top applicants are serious about attending their school. Thus, unless applicants convincingly demonstrate otherwise, it's probably more expedient to simply reject them. However, that doesn't mean that it is impossible for an applicant to demonstrate that they are serious, which is what people are suggesting when they whine about their rejections being because they were "too qualified" for the school. Every school loves to have higher MCAT/GPA averages, but you have to convince them that you're worth their time first.

They wouldn't unless they gave them reasonable cause to believe that the applicant may be serious (convincing essays, personal connections, geographic favorability, etc). To those claiming that Deans have personally confessed to just skimming the top of their applicant pool--I have to call BS on this unless you show some sort of evidence. This is an extraordinary claim and can't just be accepted on hearsay. Keep in mind that if even a single applicant is accepted with high stats, that means the school absolutely does not skim applicants at that level...thus that would mean that every year after year after year not a single applicant with high stats is accepted. Some people are suggesting that they don't even offer any of these applicants interviews? This is hardly likely, and it's instead more likely that these schools raise the threshold for demonstrated interest that they expect from applicants with high stats.

You are so wrong and it's not even funny.

Overqualified applicants do exist and get rejected by school frequently. I have interviewed at five top 10 schools, and five top 20 schools. I have been rejected by ONLY schools ranked in the 30-70 range. I was seriously interested in attending those programs because of their curriculum, and I spent the same time writing their secondaries as I did with the top 20 schools; some of those schools didn't even have secondaries. They should really put on their admissions site, that "we don't accept overqualified applicants" or "we are attention who*es and need you to email us in order to get an interview."

Overqualified applicants do exist and get rejected by school frequently. I have interviewed at five top 10 schools, and five top 20 schools. I have been rejected by ONLY schools ranked in the 30-70 range. I was seriously interested in attending those programs because of their curriculum, and I spent the same time writing their secondaries as I did with the top 20 schools; some of those schools didn't even have secondaries. They should really put on their admissions site, that "we don't accept overqualified applicants" or "we are attention who*es and need you to email us in order to get an interview."

Not even sure this is oblique enough to be considered a humblebrag...

Reactions: 1 user

I'm very sympathetic to your perspective. I've wondered aloud on SDN many times in the past week whether some schools screen out very qualified applicants.

However, I agree with Namerguy to a certain extent. I've searched enough SDN threads to see that despite the fact that people are "open minded" about attending lower-ranked schools, groupthink eventually takes over when decision time comes. Friends & family are going to influence the applicant to pick the more well-known school. People have come on here in the past trying to find the courage to pick the best school for them. People have ridiculed others on SDN in the past for considering any other school over Harvard.

Most of the time, people will choose an MD school over a DO school
Most of the time, people will choose a Top 20 MD school over a regular MD school
Most of the time, people will choose a Top 5 MD school over a Top 20 MD school
Most of the time, people will choose Harvard over any other MD school

I guess you didn't convince the adcoms enough that you would choose their school over others.

Last edited:
Not even sure this is oblique enough to be considered a humblebrag...

Not bragging, just trying to substantiate the idea that there are overqualified applicants. I have heard that one of the questions you get asked when you interview at Harvard is "how quickly did BU reject you?"

Not bragging, just trying to substantiate the idea that there are overqualified applicants. I have heard that one of the questions you get asked when you interview at Harvard is "how quickly did BU reject you?"

Ironic considering Narmerguy is probably one of the most qualified applicants literally ever and got a BU interview invite. :laugh:

Heh, I agree with you that overqualified applicants exist, I'm just poking fun at your post. That being said, I also think students with higher stats are quick to conclude that they're "too good" for any school below some arbitrary ranking that rejects them, rather than considering that there may have been other reasons. I felt somewhat similarly to you last cycle, but additionally most of my II's outside the top 20 came later in the cycle. At the time I figured they were waiting for me to withdraw my apps, but in retrospect again I think that's perhaps an easy and self-serving way for me to justify a whole lot of events outside of my control about which I know very little.

Then again, I eventually got invited to BU and not to Harvard, so maybe I wasn't overqualified enough. :smuggrin:

Ironic considering Narmerguy is probably one of the most qualified applicants literally ever and got a BU interview invite. :laugh:

Yeah I had the same thought.