Overview of critical care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hothause

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a book with a good overview of critical care geared towards the medical student/resident level? I was recently looking at Critical Care Medicine: The Essentials but wasn't sure if there was another resource out there. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would add to the OP's post, what was the sequence of books/resources you read progressing through your training? I.e. started with Marino as a PGY-1/2 then started to read Principles of Critical Care by Schmidt, Hall, periodicals, etc. as a PGY 3/4.

I would be interested to here from the fellows and attendings in particular in terms of what books/resources they used and thought were helpful vs. those that were a waste of their time throughout their training.

I read Marino as a PGY-1....OK book but really don't want to read it again. I bought Critical Care Medicine: The Essentials for my PGY-3 year. Heard it was a better read. I will let you know how it goes :)