own tutoring "buisness"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eagleye2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. I was looking for a meaningful volunteering opportunity and thought that i could start up my own volunteer tutoring "business" with 1 hour sessions. I would pass out flyers in mail boxes and im confident my services would be needed because there are a lot of high school kids struggling with chemistry. My only issue is i wanted the opinion of adcoms to see if this would be a meaningful non-clinical opportunity. I know alot of them say it should for be underprivileged people. Another issue with it is that I wouldnt have "contact" info for a supervisor or boss. Any opinion would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I like this (as long as you do it responsibly and effectively). I see this being a leadership opportunity, a teaching opportunity, and a service opportunity. You're identifying a real need and doing something about it.

You won't have a supervisor, but I'd bet some of the parents would be happy to advocate for you in a LOR.

As for the contact info, it can be someone you work with or someone familiar with your work. That's what I did for my startup.

I read "buisness" in Strongbad's voice

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a way to contact the chemistry department or student counseling departments of local high schools and ask if the schools could promote your volunteer service to kids who are both needy and in need of tutoring? That might be a way to identify the kids who are most in need of tutoring and least likely to obtain tutoring due to poverty. The added benefit of this route is to have a HS teacher or counselor who could serve as your contact person when you submit your application.

Also, for your own protection, meet these students in a public place or in an area where you can be observed by others (e.g. library, coffee shop, etc or in their home with a parent present) Don't do any one-on-one tutoring where you are alone with a kid.

Reactions: 1 users
Your local schools might already have programs in place for people to tutor on a volunteer basis (I know that the high school in my town does). Before reinventing the wheel, I would spend some time on their websites to see if something like that already exists.