Owning a dog through medical school

Started by Day man
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Day man

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any kids in medical school already have experience with this? I am not working really (EK and undergrad tutor 3 times a week), have no school, ect. so I would have plenty of time for a dog now. I really wanted to have one through medical school, but the argument is I won't have enough time to spend with it. Thoughts?
 
I'd like to know this too. 😛
How about if I'm living w/ my girlfriend and she's working 9 to 5?
 
I'm not so sure having a dog is a good idea for a medical student, as it would require a lot more care and attention than, say, a cat. A lot of my friends in med school have cats, and apparently it works out great.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i think i might get a cactus.
i don't know how much attention im going to deliver to a dog or cat. Whatever amount I do give, im sure itd be far less than what is considered healthy and possibly result in accusations of neglect from the local animal police types.
 
cats suck. get a dog.

I had one all through undergrad and it was great. She currently lives with my parents where she has lots and lots of room to run around which she wouldn't have if she lived in the city with me.

However, I probably wouldn't recommend it. Yes, the dog would be awesome and if you have a nice yard and the ability to have two dogs so that they entertain each other it would rock. The big problem is that you aren't going to have a lot of time to care for the dog(s) and that isn't really fair to them. I want a dog so badly that I often volunteer to dogsit and make regular visits to my parents just to see my dog.

So if you think the dog will be happy and you will be too then go get a dog (rhodesian ridgeback ftw). If you don't think the dog or you would be happy then don't get one.

But in either case, don't get a stinking cat.
 
i personally am getting a dog. i know it will be difficult, but long hours of study and four issolating years, it is something selfish i am willing to make work- but i think we [dog owners] have to to committed to the dog as well. i mean- skip going out post lecture to take the dog out, getting up early, etc. dogs cannot be left alone more than 4 hours, without a dog walker. could be another $$$$$ to add on to MD school.
 
Hate cats, not an option. I'd get fish or gerbils before a cat.

And my parents have ridgebacks, great dogs. I think I would be fine through medical school, but residency might be awful. I will have a roommate and girlfriend to help dogsit, still not sure it'd be fair to the dog. Choices, hmmmm...
 
Totally unfair to the dog. Don't do it. Who'll take care of it during 3rd year, or residency?
 
haha sure thing, i'll make them mate and ship you a puppy. certified lion killer in 3 years flat.

I couldn't handle training one of those though, waaaaayyyy more difficult then I'm going for. Any ideas on what a good breed would be for a student? Standard lab? Whippet maybe?
 
I think it's definitely okay if you can either get two dogs, or even better, if you'll be living with someone else who'll be less busy than you.

Admittedly, I'd probably still do it even living alone and with just one dog. I already have a parrot (green cheek conure) though, and she's more than enough work for now. I know there's people who say there's no way a med student will have enough time for a parrot, but if she's okay on my current schedule, she'll be okay then, and somewhere down the line I'll probably attempt to either get another bird that she gets along with, or at least another one that she hates but who will still be good company even if they're living in separate cages.
 
Hey, a suggestion for those of you who enjoy the company of animals but won't have much time to spend with them in the long-term. Think about fostering animals from a shelter. It's temporary and you'll be doing them a huge favour. Sometimes, foster animals are mildly sick (kittens with upper resp tract infections) or just need some one on one attention and loving care (stressed out cats, pregnant cats, dogs).

But if you must own an animal, let it be a cat, way less maintenance than a dog. Raising a puppy is like raising a child and doggie daycare is not subsidized..
 
Do any kids in medical school already have experience with this? I am not working really (EK and undergrad tutor 3 times a week), have no school, ect. so I would have plenty of time for a dog now. I really wanted to have one through medical school, but the argument is I won't have enough time to spend with it. Thoughts?
There is a thread in allo that address this: Getting a dog in med school
 
Or here's another option:

Instead of adopting puppies and other small pets; we could try to earnestly connect with other human beings around us! lol, now i know it sounds outlandish and downright silly, but i think it COULD work 😉

I was exaggerating a bit...but i think the point stands--if we want to live in friendlier neighborhoods, we have to learn to be able to open up to more than just our pets. We ought to consider offering that unconditional love to that neighbor down the street that we have to meet...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or here's another option:

Instead of adopting puppies and other small pets; we could try to earnestly connect with other human beings around us! lol, now i know it sounds outlandish and downright silly, but i think it COULD work 😉

I was exaggerating a bit...but i think the point stands--if we want to live in friendlier neighborhoods, we have to learn to be able to open up to more than just our pets. We ought to consider offering that unconditional love to that neighbor down the street that we have to meet...
Getting a dog doesn't make you less social. In fact, it makes you more social. Many dog owners are very friendly and most of them seem to go to the park to socialize first and let their dogs socialize second. So a community with more dogs should be friendlier and healthier.
 
The part of med school & residency I'm dreading is the inability to care for a dog. I wont repeat all the good reasons people have already posted but if the unfairness to the dog isn't enough to have you thinking this will: A dog that is home alone can (and most times will) become neurotic and do you know what those dogs do? Chew, bark, chew, bark. That is their life and it sucks!
 
A dog that is home alone can (and most times will) become neurotic and do you know what those dogs do? Chew, bark, chew, bark. That is their life and it sucks!

I have a golden retriever who stays home alone every day of the week between 2-12 hours. He does just fine. I just make sure he has lots of toys to play with and has gone to the bathroom before I leave. Even after 12 hours by himself, he won't use the bathroom right away when I take him outside. He wants to play first. He's never chewed, and he doesnt bark unless he hears strangers outside. I've been thinking about getting him a buddy to play with to help with the boredom, but I just don't know if I can take on two dogs...
 
I have a golden retriever who stays home alone every day of the week between 2-12 hours. He does just fine. I just make sure he has lots of toys to play with and has gone to the bathroom before I leave. Even after 12 hours by himself, he won't use the bathroom right away when I take him outside. He wants to play first. He's never chewed, and he doesnt bark unless he hears strangers outside. I've been thinking about getting him a buddy to play with to help with the boredom, but I just don't know if I can take on two dogs...
12 hours is really too much. I hope you're at least giving him a lot of exercise when you get back. If you don't, then your dog is more of an exception. Most breeds in that situation would become very destructive.
 
Golden Retrievers can be less high maintenance if you're lucky but most breeds are more tricky. I have a lab, golden, and two puppy gold-lab mixes and the two puppies actually behave worse when we're gone because I think they feed off each others' anxiety. Seeing how the behavior of the dog can vary so much, it's not worth the risk to get one and hope that it does well by its self.
 
<----Pic is the dad of the puppies (not one of my dogs) and he's alone at home often and my friend and I decided to film him and he breaks every rule he has when he's not being watch (jumps up on couch, gets into people food)
 
If you are by yourself, 3rd and 4th years will be difficult. However, with an SO it becomes much more possible. My GF and I just got a dog (rescue, St. Bernard, Retriever, German Shepherd mix, 8 months just shy of 50lbs). She's awesome.
 
If you are by yourself, 3rd and 4th years will be difficult. However, with an SO it becomes much more possible. My GF and I just got a dog (rescue, St. Bernard, Retriever, German Shepherd mix, 8 months just shy of 50lbs). She's awesome.

U should put a pic up because that mix sounds adorable.
 
n5714435_42140069_3423.jpg
U should put a pic up because that mix sounds adorable.
 
12 hours is really too much. I hope you're at least giving him a lot of exercise when you get back. If you don't, then your dog is more of an exception. Most breeds in that situation would become very destructive.

Yeah, I agree, that is too much, and I hated doing it, but he handled it quite well. Even after I would get home, he would play around outside for 3-4 minutes before actually going to the bathroom. Usually this was only on the weekends when I went to work, but now I keep him outside at my grandparents, so he can empty his bladder anytime he pleases. Now the only time he's left by himself is when I have classes, which is anywhere from 2-8 hours a day.

I also agree that he is an exception. Most of my friends dogs are pretty destructive when left alone for a long time. My dog is very well behaved, though. I've spent probably hundreds of hours training him, and he can practically read my mind. He knows more visual/sound commands (finger snapping/pointing/looking at him) than he does vocal, which is cool.

Anyways, this post doesn't really have a purpose. I just like to brag on my dog. 🙂

23750500-IMG_0368.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
reading this thread makes me miss my dog terribly (hes my avatar). I'ts a good thing I'm going home tommorow 🙂

One of my roomates has a dog and it takes quite a good chunk of time commmitment to keep it healthy. There's times when he'll be gone for eight hours a day and the dog is stuck in his room. Granted, he's a very small dog and has everything he needs in the room, but I could never do this to an animal so I imagine I won't be getting a dog if I get into medical school.
 
Has there been a thread for posting pics premeds' of dogs? Because if not, this would be a great one to start.
 
i think i might get a cactus.
i don't know how much attention im going to deliver to a dog or cat. Whatever amount I do give, im sure itd be far less than what is considered healthy and possibly result in accusations of neglect from the local animal police types.

I had a cactus once. Though it died on me they do need some love and attention. I didn't water it for three months.

Bamboos and cacti are cool to have though (srsly). So long as you're not gone the entire summer.
 
I've got a puppy and a picture of him, but I don't know how to upload it on here as a picture (just as an attachment).
 
I have a dog who is a labrador/shar pei mix. She's 9 years old but still pretty active. She stays at home alone while I'm at school and she's not at all destructive.

With that being said... If you are looking to get a dog, I would recommend adopting an older dog. A puppy is way too high maintenance for medical school. Besides taking it out and feeding it multiple times a day you will have to spend lots of time training it. Unfortunately medical school does not allow for the consistent training time which is crucial for a puppy.

My dog is perfect now, she is amazing. As a puppy though, she was extremely destructive due to separation anxiety and teething.

Adopting an older dog usually means they are over the whole puppy thing (chewing, having accidents, etc) and they usually need less stimulation and activity than puppies do.

For the most part, even when I am home all day, my dog just sleeps.

By the way, breed choice is extremely important and often overlooked. If you plan on being away and wont have the time to exercise the dog intensely every day then you obviously shouldn't get a breed that requires an hour a day of running.
 
Maybe all of us who want a dog should geographically divide and share custody...kidding, but I REALLY want one.
 
I will be starting med school in the fall and I have an 11 moth old puppy that I will be taking with me. I think that you should only get a dog if you know that you will have to put it first. I've already accepted that I will have to go home during lunch to walk him and come home right after class. With that said, I do think it's possible to have a social life as well. It's all about balance. And I'm sure there are other students with dogs that you can bond with and even help each other out.
 
I have 3 dogs! I have been out of school for 5 years and it has been easy keeping them happy with my work schedule (worked close to home so could go walk them during lunch hour or breaks) and with my huge yard. Of course now that I am trying for med school things will get tricky but I could never give them up. Thank god they are all past the puppy stage!

I second Revived's comments and I also suggest rescuing an older dog. Would be much easier to give them the exercise they need. Also, don't get a whippet! Most sighthounds are very needy (I should know, I have 2). They need lots of exercise and are really attached to their people so would not do well to be left alone for too long during the day.

Definitely try fostering dogs for different rescue groups as a trial run to see if you could handle it before getting your own. 🙂
 
I've had golden retrievers in my house my whole life. I'd love one in med school, but I know it just wouldn't be fair to him/her.
 
I have an 8-month old Lhasa Apso. I have seriously considered having him stay with my parents in VA for MS-III/IV. After you get past the initial 6 months or so of training (potty training, sit, lay-down, come, stay, etc.) dogs are Very low maintenance. But, some dogs are more energetic and need to be exercised. One of my friends actually got two dogs at once to remedy this issue. They play w/ each other all day in the yard until she gets home after 12-16hrs at the hospital.

If you want a dog just be smart going about it. Have a contingency plan in case you decide you need to have the pup looked after while you are in school. This could mean hiring a walker, placing your dog in daycare, or seeing if your parents could take him/her during your tough years.
n598308023_957702_1275.jpg
 
Last edited:
It's definitely do-able. My wife works all day but we have two cats and a dog (yellow lab). Cat's are pretty self-sufficient, as long as there is food, water, and a clean littler box they're fine.

Doing the day I try to stop by the house after lunch at some point just to let the dog out. We adopted her full grown so she was already house broken and we didn't have to mess with any puppy stages..... high recommended if you are not going to have a lot of spare time to spend at home. She is also VERY laid back and does really well at home if we have long days away or something.

So unless you're going to be home a lot (b/c of the curriculum), have a spouse/sig other who will be home, then I'd recommend maybe avoiding doing the puppy thing right now. And also too think long and hard before getting a breed that needs a lot of space to run and exercise.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just get a dog from the shelter, play with him for these next few months, then send it back when school starts