Owning a Horse- AFTER Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dream7Catcher

I'm on a Horse
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! Long-time lurker here.

To start off, horses are a huge part of my life. They have shaped who I am. I always imagined myself owning a couple horses, competing regularly, the works. I want to be a part of the equestrian community.

I don't own a horse as of now, and don't plan to buy one before/if I attend vet school, as I know I'll be busy studying. However, I started thinking about my future as a vet- the long hours, the massive debt (slightly less massive as I am moving to New Zealand soon and would be attending Massey as a resident, after I've lived there a couple years of course).

My dream job is to be a veterinarian. I love science, health, animls, helping people... Everything about it fascinates me. I have shadowed a few different vets, and every time I finish a day of observing it convinces me more and more that this is what I want for my life.

I hate the thought of giving up on my lifetime dream for the sake of money. :bang: Call me a hippie, but I do strongly believe in doing what makes you happy and living without regrets. However, I know money is important when owning/showing horses.

In your opinion, will it be possible to be a vet and own/compete horses? If I attended Massey, my debt would be roughly $55K (according to their tuition and cost of living as a resident) and my salary would be ~$45K starting.

Thank you for the responses! I need some other people's opinions on this, as it's driving me crazy. :help:

(PS- how do you make your avatar a gif? I have been trying to upload one without success. If it helps, I'm using an iPad.)
 
Last edited:
I don't think you have to choose between your two passions. 2 out of 3 Large animal veterinarians I have worked with own horses and compete with them. I'm not sure on the details of how they make it work financially, but it is possible.
 
I have found a lot of equine doctors own horses and compete with them (or have a gf that does). It's good for building business since you are seen in that community. Of course that can backfire if your horses do consistently poorly.
Also, it's also something to tinker with. I know a vet that would frequently take a broke down racehorse the owners couldn't afford to try and fix and rehab it just to see if they could. As a vet you have resources a lot of people don't and can find some really nice horses. I remember a beautifully put together young colt came in for pre purchase & had horrible djd in its hocks. The guy was going to get rid of the horse because no one would buy one like that.
Doc asked if he could have the horse & the guy agreed. Doc gave the horse to his assistant for a trail horse. She would bring him to work every once in awhile to have his hocks done & rode him for 20yrs.
If I were you, I would look for a 1/2 lease. Granted it may take awhile to find both a horse and an owner you mesh with. Typically you only pay 1/2 expenses. If you are busy there is another person to spend time with them. If you don't get out there for a few days you're not necessarily coming to ride a wild animal. The owner will arrange for housing, blacksmith appointments etc. if the horse gets sick the owner needs to be there, not necessarily you. All these little things that can pull you away from work unexpectedly.
The biggest advantage is you are not tied to that animal to where you can't go anywhere. That everyday, at least once a day, you HAVE to be at the barn. Now I know there is lots of "full" care situations but it's very difficult to find a barn that will handle things appropriately. Most of them honestly just don't know. They go to extremes. (I have a horse that takes a nap at 1pm every day. Every time he laid down 3 people would come in and start poking around until he got up. Then they would report they went in his stall and he pinned his ears at them. He would get up and lay back down as soon as they left. He must be sick. No just let him sleep. Some horses do nap in the day) but then walk by a horse blowing his brains out all day that didn't eat breakfast and never notice. In short, if you're not there you really don't know what's going on.
In my current situation, my SO & I rarely travel together because someone must always stay behind with the horses. Sure you can pay someone to look in and feed but they don't have the investment you do. They're not necessarily going to notice if they don't clean up their grain right away, run in take their temp, and then make sure they have meds to keep it stable.
It's totally doable to have horses, but I'd work my way in slow until you are settled with life.
Just some things to think about.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There were a few reasons I got out of equine med, but one of them was the time being taken away from future enjoyment and ownership of horses. The equine vets I worked with prior to and during vet school all owned horses but none rode (never mind competed) on a regular basis. The sentiment circulated was that you can have time to work on them or enjoy them, but not both. That was just my experience.

Looking at more the budget side of things, I think it's feasible to do it within a modest budget but with realistic expectations. There's quite a wide range of how much it would cost depending on what level of horse you're looking at, where you're boarding, if you're considering professional training for it and/or yourself, cost of competition, etc. as I'm sure you know.

For example, I'm wanting to get back to owning when I graduate but I know very well that I won't have much money to start out with. As much as I would like to go out and buy a nice warmblood and get back into showjumping right away, I'm thinking of buying a TB to mess around with and explore different areas such as competitive trail riding that I never experienced with my competitive tunnel vision.

So I think it's really what you want to get out of it, but there are definitely ways to be happy even if there's compromise. 🙂
 
The sentiment circulated was that you can have time to work on them or enjoy them, but not both.

I was going to post that when I saw you had 😀

I agree with everything Caia has said: it depends on what you want or expect. If you want to be showing every weekend, riding multiple times per week, starting a greenie...it's likely possible but not very reasonable, if that makes sense. (There is always someone who knows someone who managed to do x/y/z...often times those anecdotes are big exceptions and not nearly the rule). Similarly, if you want to be showing all over the country, training multiple days a week and riding a fancy critter, the money won't really be there for that for a while, if ever.

The equine veterinarians I have known often do own one or a few ponies but rarely have time to enjoy them other than the occasional trail ride. Which is fine for many people (myself included!) and often fine with the right horse, but isn't usually very cost-effective or even good for certain horses' mindsets. (You know, the horse than anyone can saddle up 10 years after the last time it was ridden and everything is great versus the other horse that gets hot and crazy if you haven't ridden in 24 hours.)

If your potential future horse is amenable and you're okay with more casual showing or training, odds are you can make it work. But don't forget that plenty of people don't have time for their horses and need someone to lease or even ride for free 😉

(Also, @shortnsweet may be able to add some valuable input if she isn't too busy...)
 
Thank you for all the responses 😀 ideally, if I could ride 3x a week or more and hit a few shows in the summer, I'd be a happy camper. I am just so happy that I won't have to give up my dream of being a veterinarian in order to own horses! :biglove:

For example, I'm wanting to get back to owning when I graduate but I know very well that I won't have much money to start out with. As much as I would like to go out and buy a nice warmblood and get back into showjumping right away, I'm thinking of buying a TB to mess around with and explore different areas such as competitive trail riding that I never experienced with my competitive tunnel vision.

I know a lot of TBs that excell at jumping 🙂 I hear ya, though- I'd love to have a big, flashy warmblood to ride. I'm partial to Dutch Warmbloods. 😀
 
My question: Is it crazy to own a horse as a vet (SA, zoo, wherever I end up) just for a pasture ornament if I've had no prior ownership experience? If I ever did take the plunge I'd do my best to find a good horse for it...once that didn't need a 'job' I guess. I'm just attached to one of our teaching horses and they periodically go up for adoption once they stop tolerating palpation and research.

While I'm not 100% familiar with costs, I know it's not cheap and that there are more aspects to the good care of a horse than meets the eye. This is also assuming I get land and a house zoned for horses. I wouldn't get a horse just to board it elsewhere out of personal preference.
 
I was going to post that when I saw you had 😀

I agree with everything Caia has said: it depends on what you want or expect. If you want to be showing every weekend, riding multiple times per week, starting a greenie...it's likely possible but not very reasonable, if that makes sense. (There is always someone who knows someone who managed to do x/y/z...often times those anecdotes are big exceptions and not nearly the rule). Similarly, if you want to be showing all over the country, training multiple days a week and riding a fancy critter, the money won't really be there for that for a while, if ever.

The equine veterinarians I have known often do own one or a few ponies but rarely have time to enjoy them other than the occasional trail ride. Which is fine for many people (myself included!) and often fine with the right horse, but isn't usually very cost-effective or even good for certain horses' mindsets. (You know, the horse than anyone can saddle up 10 years after the last time it was ridden and everything is great versus the other horse that gets hot and crazy if you haven't ridden in 24 hours.)

If your potential future horse is amenable and you're okay with more casual showing or training, odds are you can make it work. But don't forget that plenty of people don't have time for their horses and need someone to lease or even ride for free 😉

(Also, @shortnsweet may be able to add some valuable input if she isn't too busy...)

I haven't had time to ride since breaks on vet school.
Sat on my techs horses a few times, but haven't gotten to really ride at all.

Granted---I am a resident. My intern mate from last year works GP private practice and gets in a ride or two a week.
 
My question: Is it crazy to own a horse as a vet (SA, zoo, wherever I end up) just for a pasture ornament if I've had no prior ownership experience? If I ever did take the plunge I'd do my best to find a good horse for it...once that didn't need a 'job' I guess. I'm just attached to one of our teaching horses and they periodically go up for adoption once they stop tolerating palpation and research.

While I'm not 100% familiar with costs, I know it's not cheap and that there are more aspects to the good care of a horse than meets the eye. This is also assuming I get land and a house zoned for horses. I wouldn't get a horse just to board it elsewhere out of personal preference.
There is no harm in owning a horse for a pasture ornament! Horses don't care whether they're ridden or not 😉 Themain concern is knowing how to care for them. As you're a veterinary student, I assume you know the nutrition requirements... But what about handling? Horses can be very dangerous if you don't establish yourself as the herd leader. If you haven't had any previous experience owning horses, I would get a beginner's book on handling horses and go from there. 🙂

Shortnsweet, do you plan on owning/leasing a horse after your residency?
GP and/or emergency is where I'm aimed right now... Granted, I might change my mind once I get to experience the specialized classes first-hand... But I hope if I do end up GP, I'd at least be able to ride more than twice a week! 🙁
 
There is no harm in owning a horse for a pasture ornament! Horses don't care whether they're ridden or not 😉 Themain concern is knowing how to care for them. As you're a veterinary student, I assume you know the nutrition requirements... But what about handling? Horses can be very dangerous if you don't establish yourself as the herd leader. If you haven't had any previous experience owning horses, I would get a beginner's book on handling horses and go from there. 🙂

Shortnsweet, do you plan on owning/leasing a horse after your residency?
GP and/or emergency is where I'm aimed right now... Granted, I might change my mind once I get to experience the specialized classes first-hand... But I hope if I do end up GP, I'd at least be able to ride more than twice a week! 🙁
I've got a beginner's level of experience and have handled (fairly well, at least) a handful of ***hole horses haha. It's just a little dream of mine. My boyfriend absolutely doesn't want me to have a horse, but we'll see about that. I'll play it by ear. This only came about after I met this particular horse at my school lol.
 
I'm a third year vet student and have four horses. Three are in mostly full-time work. Two have been to finals up and down the East Coast with myself and one just turned five and is getting his career started. I've had a friend and my trainer working with them while I'm gone but I've shown (with pretty decent success, I might add) on my breaks from school and will continue to do so next year. After that, I hope to get an internship with my parents and ride after work and on weekends that I'm not working. My barn has a ring with lights so that makes it a little easier for me and my horses (should be) okay with the shadows.
As someone that used to be out of town and showing almost every weekend, all year, the change was definitely difficult. I don't think I'll ever be showing every weekend again, partially because of money and partially because of time. I do think it's entirely possible to ride and show as a vet, though.
 
I'm a third year vet student and have four horses. Three are in mostly full-time work. Two have been to finals up and down the East Coast with myself and one just turned five and is getting his career started. I've had a friend and my trainer working with them while I'm gone but I've shown (with pretty decent success, I might add) on my breaks from school and will continue to do so next year. After that, I hope to get an internship with my parents and ride after work and on weekends that I'm not working. My barn has a ring with lights so that makes it a little easier for me and my horses (should be) okay with the shadows.
As someone that used to be out of town and showing almost every weekend, all year, the change was definitely difficult. I don't think I'll ever be showing every weekend again, partially because of money and partially because of time. I do think it's entirely possible to ride and show as a vet, though.
That is great to hear 😀 I am okay with not showing every weekend. I'd like to hit some in the show season. I'd love to climb the levels in dressage or eventing.
 
That is great to hear 😀 I am okay with not showing every weekend. I'd like to hit some in the show season. I'd love to climb the levels in dressage or eventing.
I think that's possible, it just depends on the area you live in and how long you're willing to make your days. I never did dressage or eventing but most show seasons are year-round. Florida has a big winter circuit but there are shows every weekend all year. I went from showing in the 3'6" adult jumpers (and winning) to showing in the 3'-3'3" (depending on how I'm feeling) and still winning. I plan on moving back up to the 3'6" next year depending on how much I can ride and then moving up from there to mini prix or grand prix height on my five year old. Just to give you an idea of what I think is possible 🙂
 
I think that's possible, it just depends on the area you live in and how long you're willing to make your days. I never did dressage or eventing but most show seasons are year-round. Florida has a big winter circuit but there are shows every weekend all year. I went from showing in the 3'6" adult jumpers (and winning) to showing in the 3'-3'3" (depending on how I'm feeling) and still winning. I plan on moving back up to the 3'6" next year depending on how much I can ride and then moving up from there to mini prix or grand prix height on my five year old. Just to give you an idea of what I think is possible 🙂
This is all I could think about:

 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think that's possible, it just depends on the area you live in and how long you're willing to make your days. I never did dressage or eventing but most show seasons are year-round. Florida has a big winter circuit but there are shows every weekend all year. I went from showing in the 3'6" adult jumpers (and winning) to showing in the 3'-3'3" (depending on how I'm feeling) and still winning. I plan on moving back up to the 3'6" next year depending on how much I can ride and then moving up from there to mini prix or grand prix height on my five year old. Just to give you an idea of what I think is possible 🙂
Wow, you are quite talented! I could only dream of reaching the Grand Prix levels :claps:
 
My question: Is it crazy to own a horse as a vet (SA, zoo, wherever I end up) just for a pasture ornament if I've had no prior ownership experience? If I ever did take the plunge I'd do my best to find a good horse for it...once that didn't need a 'job' I guess. I'm just attached to one of our teaching horses and they periodically go up for adoption once they stop tolerating palpation and research.

While I'm not 100% familiar with costs, I know it's not cheap and that there are more aspects to the good care of a horse than meets the eye. This is also assuming I get land and a house zoned for horses. I wouldn't get a horse just to board it elsewhere out of personal preference.
I wondered about those animals when I was on tour. I thought that must be a helluva life.
Nothing wrong with pasture ornaments just know it's a bit more involved than just fencing in an area and forgetting about them. And like I said before once you have horses on your own land you are tied down. And there are many costs people don't consider which is why you board. Equipment is expensive. (Personally I never understood how anyone could have horses without a truck and trailer) And time..it's a lot of time. Not even with the horses themselves but everything else.
It's a life style that's for sure.
 
I wondered about those animals when I was on tour. I thought that must be a helluva life.
Nothing wrong with pasture ornaments just know it's a bit more involved than just fencing in an area and forgetting about them. And like I said before once you have horses on your own land you are tied down. And there are many costs people don't consider which is why you board. Equipment is expensive. (Personally I never understood how anyone could have horses without a truck and trailer) And time..it's a lot of time. Not even with the horses themselves but everything else.
It's a life style that's for sure.
I have a truck and I have friends with a truck and trailer. Really not as hard as you think. Most people I know, with horses, do not have their own trailer but either have trainers ship their horses (like I do) or borrow a trailer (like I've done).

Wow, you are quite talented! I could only dream of reaching the Grand Prix levels :claps:
Thanks! It's all dependent on the horse! I bred my guy out of my mare that did the Nations Cup and stuff like that and then the stud was known for throwing babies that made it to that height, so we'll see if he can as well.

This is all I could think about:
I've successfully avoided that interview for years. Years! 🙁
 
I have a truck and I have friends with a truck and trailer. Really not as hard as you think. Most people I know, with horses, do not have their own trailer but either have trainers ship their horses (like I do) or borrow a trailer (like I've done).
Yea I don't think that's a very good contingency plan.

Now if you have a trainer hauling the horse I'm sure they're charging you. I do.
What do you do in an emergency though? Try and line up a truck and trailer at 2am to go to a university. That's when you find out who your friends are.

What you need to start to consider in this life is that if you borrow something and it gets wrecked can you afford to replace it? How much insurance do you have? Cause mine isn't going to cover you driving my rig.
Probably not or you would have your own. If I were to wreck my truck and trailer right now it would cost me a minimum of $30k to replace it. And that would be if I'm lucky to find a rotted out Chevy with a two horse bumper pull to get me by.

What if that animal gets hurt while I'm hauling it? What if it slips off the ramp and tears a suspensory? Who's responsible? If you've got a high dollar show horse I highly doubt you'll say, "gee that's a bummer. Thanks for the ride!"
What if I get hurt? Are you gonna take care of my stable until I recover? What if you get hurt? I know a guy just this fall who was unloading a filly for somebody that reared up struck him in the head. He was in the hospital for 4months! How many 10's of thousands in hospital bills do you think that was? Not considering time lost from work.

And we didn't touch on what it costs to maintain such things. It's hardly worth the $50 in gas money.

As you can tell this is a major pet peeve of mine. Not at all sorry. Don't know what it is with people they think cause I have a rig sitting there and they don't have one I'm just obliged for them to take it for a spin.
 
Yea I don't think that's a very good contingency plan.

Now if you have a trainer hauling the horse I'm sure they're charging you. I do.
What do you do in an emergency though? Try and line up a truck and trailer at 2am to go to a university. That's when you find out who your friends are.

What you need to start to consider in this life is that if you borrow something and it gets wrecked can you afford to replace it? How much insurance do you have? Cause mine isn't going to cover you driving my rig.
Probably not or you would have your own. If I were to wreck my truck and trailer right now it would cost me a minimum of $30k to replace it. And that would be if I'm lucky to find a rotted out Chevy with a two horse bumper pull to get me by.

What if that animal gets hurt while I'm hauling it? What if it slips off the ramp and tears a suspensory? Who's responsible? If you've got a high dollar show horse I highly doubt you'll say, "gee that's a bummer. Thanks for the ride!"
What if I get hurt? Are you gonna take care of my stable until I recover? What if you get hurt? I know a guy just this fall who was unloading a filly for somebody that reared up struck him in the head. He was in the hospital for 4months! How many 10's of thousands in hospital bills do you think that was? Not considering time lost from work.

And we didn't touch on what it costs to maintain such things. It's hardly worth the $50 in gas money.

As you can tell this is a major pet peeve of mine. Not at all sorry. Don't know what it is with people they think cause I have a rig sitting there and they don't have one I'm just obliged for them to take it for a spin.
I have quite a few horsey friends (one travels the country pulling horses out of bad situations and turning them around, really amazing). It looks like their inner horse friend rings are pretty ride or die....a 2AM phone call wouldn't be ignored.
 
Yea I don't think that's a very good contingency plan.

Now if you have a trainer hauling the horse I'm sure they're charging you. I do.
What do you do in an emergency though? Try and line up a truck and trailer at 2am to go to a university. That's when you find out who your friends are.

What you need to start to consider in this life is that if you borrow something and it gets wrecked can you afford to replace it? How much insurance do you have? Cause mine isn't going to cover you driving my rig.
Probably not or you would have your own. If I were to wreck my truck and trailer right now it would cost me a minimum of $30k to replace it. And that would be if I'm lucky to find a rotted out Chevy with a two horse bumper pull to get me by.

What if that animal gets hurt while I'm hauling it? What if it slips off the ramp and tears a suspensory? Who's responsible? If you've got a high dollar show horse I highly doubt you'll say, "gee that's a bummer. Thanks for the ride!"
What if I get hurt? Are you gonna take care of my stable until I recover? What if you get hurt? I know a guy just this fall who was unloading a filly for somebody that reared up struck him in the head. He was in the hospital for 4months! How many 10's of thousands in hospital bills do you think that was? Not considering time lost from work.

And we didn't touch on what it costs to maintain such things. It's hardly worth the $50 in gas money.

As you can tell this is a major pet peeve of mine. Not at all sorry. Don't know what it is with people they think cause I have a rig sitting there and they don't have one I'm just obliged for them to take it for a spin.
Sorry that it's such a pet peeve of yours. Not sure what aspect or industry of horses you're in but I can tell you that as far as what I do, this is incredibly normal. Yes, I pay my trainer to haul my horses. Yes, I have the money to help you if you wreck your truck and trailer. Yes, I can line up a truck and trailer at 2 AM to go to a hospital if need be.

You're right in that my insurance currently prevents me from driving a trailer. I'm under 25 and either can't get insurance for a trailer or would have pretty awful insurance. I've been advised by many people to wait until I'm 25. I don't see a problem with that.

I've been doing this for a long time, and I know what I'm doing. It's fine if you're not comfortable loaning out your trailer but you should be aware that a lot of people are. I'm sorry if people assume their can just take your trailer. I would never do that, and have never done that. Just assuming such a thing is rude.
 
Yea I don't think that's a very good contingency plan.

Now if you have a trainer hauling the horse I'm sure they're charging you. I do.
What do you do in an emergency though? Try and line up a truck and trailer at 2am to go to a university. That's when you find out who your friends are.

What you need to start to consider in this life is that if you borrow something and it gets wrecked can you afford to replace it? How much insurance do you have? Cause mine isn't going to cover you driving my rig.
Probably not or you would have your own. If I were to wreck my truck and trailer right now it would cost me a minimum of $30k to replace it. And that would be if I'm lucky to find a rotted out Chevy with a two horse bumper pull to get me by.

What if that animal gets hurt while I'm hauling it? What if it slips off the ramp and tears a suspensory? Who's responsible? If you've got a high dollar show horse I highly doubt you'll say, "gee that's a bummer. Thanks for the ride!"
What if I get hurt? Are you gonna take care of my stable until I recover? What if you get hurt? I know a guy just this fall who was unloading a filly for somebody that reared up struck him in the head. He was in the hospital for 4months! How many 10's of thousands in hospital bills do you think that was? Not considering time lost from work.

And we didn't touch on what it costs to maintain such things. It's hardly worth the $50 in gas money.

As you can tell this is a major pet peeve of mine. Not at all sorry. Don't know what it is with people they think cause I have a rig sitting there and they don't have one I'm just obliged for them to take it for a spin.
My thoughts exactly. When I had a trailer and truck for hauling horses, I barely ever lent it out to other people. If they couldn't afford to buy a trailer, then they couldn't afford to replace mine if it was totaled in an accident. It is a huge misconception that if someone has their own truck with full coverage insurance, then whatever trailer they are pulling is also covered (it's not...only covers the damage the trailer does to another vehicle or property). Granted at that time I purchased my horse trailer new from a dealer and owned it for 6 years. If my trailer was old and had little value...then I wouldn't be so against lending it out to friends with prior towing experience.
 
Last edited: