Owning a patent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schrizto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How impressive would it look for medical school if someone owned a (science/medicine related) patent? I'm just wondering, I don't have a patent myself or anything.

Members don't see this ad.

How impressive would it look for medical school if someone owned a (science/medicine related) patent? I'm just wondering, I don't have a patent myself or anything.

Probably not that impressive. It might be a bit unique, but you often end up getting patents in the process of doing research. Also, it really depends on the patent. There's no requirement that your innovation be interesting or particularly innovative to be patentable, it just needs to be sufficiently unique with some possibility of being useful. Therefore, a lot of stupid crap gets patented.

If you own a bunch, of some particularly useful patents, then it might say something. Otherwise, I'd count a scientific patent on par or slightly less than a research paper.

I have this really cool multicolored slinky which is how I got into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it shows a lot, considering I think it's still in the ballpark of under 8,000,000 patents issued in the US total. It shows a fair amount of intelligence, original thinking, and follow-through. Patent prosecution can last years from when the application is filed to when it is issued as a patent. It's more rare when the application is filed to it being allowed right away, because very very few things at this point are clearly not obvious compared to the prior art.

I guess bottom-line, it can't hurt you. I disagree that a lot of people have patents issued in the course of their research. If that were the case, there would have been way more patents issued in the US considering the large amount of research that has been undertaken since the patent office has been up and running (since 1790).

Most of the time, the rights for the patent are assigned to a corporation/company whose resources were used in the discovery of the invention, i.e. the company retains any profit generated and the right to exclude other corporations and companies from using the invention for the full term of the patent assuming maintenance fees are paid at 3 1/2, 7 1/2 and 11 1/2 years from issuance. Of course, others are always welcome to license the patent, but that's another story.

If you're applying to my school and you have a patent from your research, the adcomm will be impressed.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll attempt at a patent from my asthma research on g proteins but the writings gonna be an itch dude

I had a feeling people would misread it as patient :oops:. It can be read as patient if you skim thread titles quickly, especially for medical-minded folks, considering all it needs is an extra i in the middle.

In fact, I thought you were talking about owning a virtual patient, or one of those high-tech dummies that they use in medical school. I was starting to think "UBER GUNNER" until I re-read! haha.

My friend knows a guy who has patents where he switched Deuterium for Hydrogen in a bunch of prescription drugs to elongate drug delivery time. I'm not sure if that would really be the most impressive patent in the world, although it's definitely a creative idea that pharms are starting to get in to!

In fact, I thought you were talking about owning a virtual patient, or one of those high-tech dummies that they use in medical school. I was starting to think "UBER GUNNER" until I re-read! haha.

My friend knows a guy who has patents where he switched Deuterium for Hydrogen in a bunch of prescription drugs to elongate drug delivery time. I'm not sure if that would really be the most impressive patent in the world, although it's definitely a creative idea that pharms are starting to get in to!

Any chance you have a paper on this? I'd be interested in reading it. I'd be surprised if the KIE would be enough to substantially lengthen the half life of a drug, but then again D2O can be fatal at moderate doses, so go figure.

Last edited:
Any chance you have a paper on this? I'd be interested in reading it. I'd be surprised if the KIE would be enough to substantially lengthen the half life of a drug, but then again D2O can be fatal at moderate doses, so go figure.

I don't have a paper, unfortunately. I believe using D instead of H halves the frequency of the intramolecular vibrations. I haven't taken this part of pchem yet, but it should work, in theory.

lololol what would I do with a high-tech simulation dummy? I'd be creeped out if I owned one because sometimes I find dolls freaky.

For the low cost of $200,000 plus another $50,000 for related equipment and monitors (maybe a little cheaper since you can use decommissioned equipment) and $20,000 for training you can own your personal Med-sim Eagle patient simulator:D You can make the eyes roll and dilate, the arms twitch, chest moves, and it can talk!

For the low cost of $200,000 plus another $50,000 for related equipment and monitors (maybe a little cheaper since you can use decommissioned equipment) and $20,000 for training you can own your personal Med-sim Eagle patient simulator:D You can make the eyes roll and dilate, the arms twitch, chest moves, and it can talk!

If I was going to spend this much I'd just make a hot sexy robot that looks like Megan Fox.