This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shootbigshootbigger

Reaction score
I go to an extremely large public school and am having a hard time getting professors to agree to write a LOR.
I reached out to a random professor I had, and surprisingly he said that he would be happy to edit/sign a draft that I write.
I know that good letters are powerful, and that mediocre letters can be damaging. I want the letter to be very complimentary but idk how far I can take it. I got an A in the class, but I never spoke to the professor. I don't know how to go about describing soft skills. Can I comment on my personality traits or would that be weird for him to read?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, this is why you should make an effort ahead of time to at least interact with profs who you intend to use as your letter writer.

In your case, just write the strongest letter you can and include some personality traits. without being completely over the top. If he has a problem with anything you write he will edit the letter.

Reactions: 1 users
Google “writing a good med school reference letter” to get tips on format and what should be included.

Reactions: 1 user
If you wrote a good paper or gave a good class presentation, you could mention that. He will see in his grade book that you earned a good grade and so he will recall that what you've written is true.

If the faculty member offered office hours, you can mention that you attended or, if you did not, you can mention that you did well despite not attending office hours.

Those are just a couple things I've seen in LORs.

Reactions: 1 users