Oxblood/cordovan and black suit a fashion faux pas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Life101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For men is a oxblood/cordovan shoe appropriate to wear with a black suit? Just wanting to break up the boring black on black for interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not...

If you only have a black suit and don't want to swing for something of a different color, then a cheaper option would be to get some new shoes - try shades of gray which is an emerging trend but probably won't draw most people's attention.

@Jello: Hahahahaaa. I get your point.
@Gutonc: I get your point too.

Well it doesn't hurt to try something new or maybe I am wrong. Are black suits not the norm anymore for residency interviews? Never heard of black suit with gray shoes though.

Are black suits not the norm anymore for residency interviews?

There's nothing wrong with a black suit, but a navy, or gray suit is just as appropriate. You'll never be wrong in a dark suit in those colors. However, more fashion forward applicants will probably have suits in shades of brown or with muted patterns - in particular checks/plaids/herringbone patterns are very "in" at the moment. Pinstripes/chalk stripes/etc are also totally acceptable and will not appear dated at all so long as they aren't overly bold or on the extreme side of things.

Navy, greys and blacks are the choice of suits. Even in the forward fashion people, those colors are timeless.

For shoes, however, I chose only black for dress shoes.

But as personal preference, I will avoid earth tones/browns like the plague. I never looked right in them, despite family trying to force me into them.

The only way to stand out on residency interviews is on paper. Otherwise make sure you look like a mortician, same as everyone else. You will be noticed if you wear a blazer or sport coat, but it won't be in a good way.