Oxygen group? (4E - Chemical and Physical Foundations)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintysilver237

Reaction score
Hi,
I was studying for category 4E. This was listed on the AAMC MCAT website. I could not find much for it on Khan Academy or my previous notes and textbooks. Can someone help me out, please and thank you!
1588905043925.png

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like it is referring to the chalcogens which is Group 16 to the left of the halogens, sometimes stylized as the oxygen group.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Sounds like it is referring to the chalcogens which are Group 16 to the left of the halogens, sometimes stylized as the oxygen group.

Med School Tutors
Thank you! I had a hunch that it was that but I just wanted to make sure. Would you happen to know what representative elements mean? Very lost for that one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I had a hunch that it was that but I just wanted to make sure. Would you happen to know what representative elements mean? Very lost for that one.

From the University of Hawai'i: "The Representative Elements are those elements within the first two families (Groups I and II on the far left) and the last six families or groups (on the right) of the Periodic Table. "

Basically everything not a transition metal. It's shotty wording, but truth be told most outlines are. They are not usually designed to be read by students.

Med School Tutors

From the University of Hawai'i: "The Representative Elements are those elements within the first two families (Groups I and II on the far left) and the last six families or groups (on the right) of the Periodic Table. "

Basically everything not a transition metal. It's shotty wording, but truth be told most outlines are. They are not usually designed to be read by students.

Med School Tutors
I see, thank you for clarifying this :)