-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Oxytrol patches are OTC?!?!?!?
Started by rph3664
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I just heard a commercial for this! Are they serious? I am not comfortable with this.
😕
Yup. As of the first of the month.
Anyone know if these can be used in place of scopolamine patches for motion sickness?
Off the top of my head, the only major contradiction to using oxybutynin would be enlarged prostate, so that explains the marketing toward only women. Did I forget anything?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I didn't know anything about this until I saw it on a display on our counter. I was like, "Huh".
Meh.
Meh.
I personally don't anticipate that they will be a big seller.
the thing that's confusing me is, aren't most OTC stuff for short term use only? almost everything OTC says "do not use this longer than X days/weeks" bc self-treating is limited to short tem therapy....this stuff is for chronic use which I thought FDA wanted anything for chronic use to be Rx only
the thing that's confusing me is, aren't most OTC stuff for short term use only? almost everything OTC says "do not use this longer than X days/weeks" bc self-treating is limited to short tem therapy....this stuff is for chronic use which I thought FDA wanted anything for chronic use to be Rx only
Plenty of chronic disease states can be managed OTC- allergies, acid reflux, arthritis, etc.
I'm excited for Nasacort OTC
+1 for Nasacort!
Plenty of chronic disease states can be managed OTC- allergies, acid reflux, arthritis, etc.
I'm excited for Nasacort OTC
I'm pretty sure every acid reflux med says it's for short term use on the packaging (thus chronic users should go to an MD to get evaluated for Barrett's esophagus and H. pylori infection). Allergies and arthritis are probably good examples, though.
Plenty of chronic disease states can be managed OTC- allergies, acid reflux, arthritis, etc.
I'm excited for Nasacort OTC
Ya but they all say "do not use longer than 14 days or contact your doctor"....the meds CAN be taken longterm under physician supervision, the idea behind it is the FDA wants patients to be seen by a doctor before diagnosing themselves and taking something chronically w/o knowledge of a physician. These patches are different though which is interesting
I'm pretty sure every acid reflux med says it's for short term use on the packaging (thus chronic users should go to an MD to get evaluated for Barrett's esophagus and H. pylori infection). Allergies and arthritis are probably good examples, though.
I have a bit of self-diagnosed reflux that flares every now and then (yay middle age), and I just take some OTC Pepcid every day for a week or so and it goes away. But yeah, if that didn't work, I'd investigate further.
And I saw an ad for Oxytrol patches, with an accompanying coupon, in yesterday's paper. I'm really looking forward to the TV commercials (NOT!). 😳
Ya but they all say "do not use longer than 14 days or contact your doctor"....the meds CAN be taken longterm under physician supervision, the idea behind it is the FDA wants patients to be seen by a doctor before diagnosing themselves and taking something chronically w/o knowledge of a physician. These patches are different though which is interesting
PPIs, yes...but it is totally fine to use antacids or H2RAs on and off.
You can treat allergies without going to the doc, or cold symptoms, for pretty much as long as you want without limits on the packaging.
I don't know of any statement from the FDA that OTC means "short term." It means "safe for the vast majority of the general public." Oxybutynin and Nasocort are pretty dang safe.
Yup. As of the first of the month.
Anyone know if these can be used in place of scopolamine patches for motion sickness?
Off the top of my head, the only major contradiction to using oxybutynin would be enlarged prostate, so that explains the marketing toward only women. Did I forget anything?
or it can aggrevate alzheimers and you loose the effects of the meds used to slow down its progression. Cause dry mouth, dizziness, falls and you break you hip. no biggie
Eh, look what Tylenol or aspirin can do to you
Want to be terrified. Think about Tagamet being used OTC. Holy ddi
Want to be terrified. Think about Tagamet being used OTC. Holy ddi
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Eh, look what Tylenol or aspirin can do to you
Want to be terrified. Think about Tagamet being used OTC. Holy ddi
Good point - I have seen people attempt to kill themselves wth apap and benadryl and cause more permanent damage that most other meds. I guess I just have lost faith in most of humanity to think most of them can adequately take care of themselves.
Aspirin would certainly not be OTC if it was approved today.If Tylenol weren't grandfathered in, I doubt the FDA would approve it by today's standards.
I believe cold medicines and antipyretics tell you to go to the doctor after some length of time. They don't want someone with lung cancer taking robitussin forever instead of finding out their diagnosis.PPIs, yes...but it is totally fine to use antacids or H2RAs on and off.
You can treat allergies without going to the doc, or cold symptoms, for pretty much as long as you want without limits on the packaging.
I don't know of any statement from the FDA that OTC means "short term." It means "safe for the vast majority of the general public." Oxybutynin and Nasocort are pretty dang safe.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 4K