P/NP in nonmajor, nonprerequisite class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

interyeti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer I took multivariable calculus with the P/NP grading option. This class is not a major requirement for me, not a med school requirement, and I have already completed the 1 year calculus requirement with A's. I planned to take this class P/NP from the beginning, purely out of interest. I wanted to see what really "finishing" calculus would entail.

But now, I am worried I made a huge mistake. I have read on this forum that P/NP is viewed negatively no matter what. Is this true? Have I really sabotaged my chances at med school based on this one decision?

That would be terrible, because I have A's (3 semesters of chemistry, both semesters of biology, both semesters of math, and second semester of physics) in all but one of my prerequisite classes (B in first semester of physics) so far....If this one P/NP ruins me then what was all that work for in the first place?

Members don't see this ad.

Meh.

I have two P/NP and a withdrawal on my transcript.

I wasn't even remotely worried about them. After reading this thread, I'm still not even remotely worried about them. Prepare an answer for the unlikely event that they ask you about it, and find something else to worry about.

It's difficult to see how taking an EXTRA class, P/NP or not, would be considered detrimental.

Thanks for the response. Can others share their opinions on this matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Royal f-up. Time to apply Caribbean, kid. Any ADCOM with some sense in them will see that you took the easy way out because you're lazy. Can't have that in real medicine.

Meh.

I have two P/NP and a withdrawal on my transcript.

I wasn't even remotely worried about them. After reading this thread, I'm still not even remotely worried about them. Prepare an answer for the unlikely event that they ask you about it, and find something else to worry about.

It's difficult to see how taking an EXTRA class, P/NP or not, would be considered detrimental.

This.

Royal f-up. Time to apply Caribbean, kid. Any ADCOM with some sense in them will see that you took the easy way out because you're lazy. Can't have that in real medicine.

:laugh: