1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

P/NP in nonmajor, nonprerequisite class

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by interyeti, Jul 22, 2011.

1. interyeti

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This summer I took multivariable calculus with the P/NP grading option. This class is not a major requirement for me, not a med school requirement, and I have already completed the 1 year calculus requirement with A's. I planned to take this class P/NP from the beginning, purely out of interest. I wanted to see what really "finishing" calculus would entail.

But now, I am worried I made a huge mistake. I have read on this forum that P/NP is viewed negatively no matter what. Is this true? Have I really sabotaged my chances at med school based on this one decision?

That would be terrible, because I have A's (3 semesters of chemistry, both semesters of biology, both semesters of math, and second semester of physics) in all but one of my prerequisite classes (B in first semester of physics) so far....If this one P/NP ruins me then what was all that work for in the first place?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. centrigeugle

centrigeugle less qq, more pew pew
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Meh.

I have two P/NP and a withdrawal on my transcript.

I wasn't even remotely worried about them. After reading this thread, I'm still not even remotely worried about them. Prepare an answer for the unlikely event that they ask you about it, and find something else to worry about.

It's difficult to see how taking an EXTRA class, P/NP or not, would be considered detrimental.

4. interyeti

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the response. Can others share their opinions on this matter?

5. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Royal f-up. Time to apply Caribbean, kid. Any ADCOM with some sense in them will see that you took the easy way out because you're lazy. Can't have that in real medicine.

6. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This.

:laugh: