P/np

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

krzyboodah

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys,

I'm new here and you guys probably already answered this question but how do Medical Schools calculate P/NP grades into their system?

Here's the deal: I'm 21 years old and still an undergraduate. I'm a political science major.

I have a P in General Biology (i.e. non chemistry based biology)
I have a NP in Chem 3A (first semester organic chemistry)

Now, I know that the NP is probably a F, but how do the P's work?

I don't intend on applying to medical school now (closest I think I'll be applying is about 5 years from now). I don't even have all the prereqs done, but I want to keep the notion alive at least for the next few years (esp. if I don't like what I'm doing in the meantime).

I took these classes P/NP on purpose because by the middle of the sem. I realized I wasn't going to do well, but I can't believe I didn't P Chem. 🙁

Thanks for your help
 
Do you have credit hours at your school? If so, I don't know how P/F conversion will work for you, but I can tell you what they did with my record. I attended a completely P/F school with no credit hours for UG. AMCAS calculated me as having no GPA and no credits for college. My AMCAS transcript looked like I was a second-semester freshman except that I had a BA, an MS, and a PhD on there along with my grad school grades, credits and GPAs. :laugh: I was dual enrolled at a community college during HS and spent a summer studying at a third school; those classes did have grades and credit hours. The 0.00 GPA from my main UG institution was not averaged in with my other credits, thankfully. 😱