P/np

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krzyboodah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm new here and you guys probably already answered this question but how do Medical Schools calculate P/NP grades into their system?

Here's the deal: I'm 21 years old and still an undergraduate. I'm a political science major.

I have a P in General Biology (i.e. non chemistry based biology)
I have a NP in Chem 3A (first semester organic chemistry)

Now, I know that the NP is probably a F, but how do the P's work?

I don't intend on applying to medical school now (closest I think I'll be applying is about 5 years from now). I don't even have all the prereqs done, but I want to keep the notion alive at least for the next few years (esp. if I don't like what I'm doing in the meantime).

I took these classes P/NP on purpose because by the middle of the sem. I realized I wasn't going to do well, but I can't believe I didn't P Chem. :(

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have credit hours at your school? If so, I don't know how P/F conversion will work for you, but I can tell you what they did with my record. I attended a completely P/F school with no credit hours for UG. AMCAS calculated me as having no GPA and no credits for college. My AMCAS transcript looked like I was a second-semester freshman except that I had a BA, an MS, and a PhD on there along with my grad school grades, credits and GPAs. :laugh: I was dual enrolled at a community college during HS and spent a summer studying at a third school; those classes did have grades and credit hours. The 0.00 GPA from my main UG institution was not averaged in with my other credits, thankfully. :eek: