P1 student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiderluver

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I am here to seek some advice...

I just started pharmacy school this August - currently in my first semester and I started really looking into the profession recently. Throughout my undergrad and pre-pharm school years everyone talked so highly about the pharmacy profession and how it is a great career path to follow (however my mistake was definitely networking with much older pharmacists instead of newly graduated pharmacists that just entered the workforce). I did well during my undergrad and PCAT but was driven away from med school because of how highly competitive it is to get in. I currently have very mixed feelings about the pharmacy profession especially seeing how the BLS released the new job growth rate at -3%?

This is all really hitting me right now and I am unsure of what to do. I do not want to stay in school accumulating debt just to graduate and not have a job. I have been thinking of actually leaving pharmacy school after this semester and seeking a second bachelor's in mechanical or civil engineering.

Has anyone in pharmacy school felt this way before??? If so did you stay or leave?

BTW is this also the clinical and industry route?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go for that degree in engineering and don’t look back. You will enjoy a far better quality of life with less debt, better work conditions, and decent salary without the $200k+ student loans and 4 additional years in school.

The best time to drop out was before starting pharmacy school. The next best time to drop out is now.

Reactions: 3 users
Drop out now. You won't regret it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get out now before those dirty pharmacy schools get your money. They know exactly how bad the saturation is in the pharmacy job market. Just remember that the school may help you pass your boards but after that, you're on your own finding a job.

Reactions: 1 users
Get out now before those dirty pharmacy schools get your money. They know exactly how bad the saturation is in the pharmacy job market. Just remember that the school may help you pass your boards but after that, you're on your own finding a job.
are you a recent grad?

1604177189447.gif

• Haha
You can always pause your pharmacy school career. They are desperate for anyone right now so you can always jump back in later if you decide on something else which I highly recommend.

Reactions: 1 user
Cut your losses, drop out now. There's no point in wasting your time and finishing the semester IMO.

Civil and mechanical engineering are great careers. The cost of a BS in engineering is very low for in state tuition. Just be aware they are significantly harder degrees than a pharmD.

Engineers are all working from home now while pharmacists have to go to work and risk getting Covid. When there's no pandemic, you'll have your own cubicle or office with a comfy chair and no customers or nurses to deal with. You'll have a lunch break and can use the bathroom or go to the break room and grab free coffee whenever you want.

I was pretty much in the same boat. I'm a P1 that started this August too. Throughout the quarter I was literally depressed with the thought of having to go through all of pharmacy school and not getting a job, but once I decided to dropout for another career, I've never been happier. Since I'm almost done with my quarter and won't be getting a refund, I decided just to finish the quarter strong to use the classes I took as pre-reqs for another program. I'm going to drop out before the start of the second quarter.

Clinical and industry jobs are unicorn jobs where hundreds of applicants are fighting for 1 or 2 spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I was pretty much in the same boat. I'm a P1 that started this August too. Throughout the quarter I was literally depressed with the thought of having to go through all of pharmacy school and not getting a job, but once I decided to dropout for another career, I've never been happier. Since I'm almost done with my quarter and won't be getting a refund, I decided just to finish the quarter strong to use the classes I took as pre-reqs for another program. I'm going to drop out before the start of the second quarter.

Clinical and industry jobs are unicorn jobs where hundreds of applicants are fighting for 1 or 2 spots.

If you don’t mind me asking, what career are you pursuing that allows you to use the PharmD classes for their program?

If you don’t mind me asking, what career are you pursuing that allows you to use the PharmD classes for their program?
I'm planning on pursuing a career as a clinical laboratory scientist. Only 2 of my classes would count as pre-reqs for the program. Biochem and Medical Microbio. Which is better than nothing.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm planning on pursuing a career as a clinical laboratory scientist. Only 2 of my classes would count as pre-reqs for the program. Biochem and Medical Microbio. Which is better than nothing.
That sounds great. Good luck :)

I can't see why anyone would go to pharmacy school for any reason and under any circumstances. Even when there good job prospects a decade and half ago, the job had serious limitations. I would define what your financial and career goals are and find a field that can help you achieve them. Drop out asap and reboot your education.