Barely survived P1 Fall, onward to a 19-credit Spring. Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hihi1413

Reaction score
As the title states, I managed to get by P1 Fall as a 31-year-old transfer who previously had not been a full-time student since 2019. My only "failure" was in Biochemistry, in which I finished with a D. However, the way my program works is that they'll still let me take the class in the Spring that I needed Biochemistry for (Principles of Drug Action I), but I would have to retake Biochemistry in a future Fall semester (P2 Fall was suggested to me, but I'd rather it be P3 Fall, where I would have fewer standard credits that I would already need to complete for that semester). In total, as I look to this upcoming Spring, I have 19 credits spread across 7 or so classes staring back at me.

One thing that helped me rally late in the Fall was my Student Affairs Director telling me to view the program as a 9-5 job. I already had the sense that I had to view it that way even before I started, but the overall adjustment period kind of clouded things for me, and I started getting in my own head. At any rate, there are three big things looming over me moving forward. Firstly, I have to manage 19 credits and find a system for staying on top of important dates and assignments this Spring. Secondly, I have to deal with Principles of Drug Action when Biochemistry practically destroyed me (at least it's not the same instructor, for the most part). And thirdly, I eventually have to retake Biochemistry and find a way past those exams that caused me so much agita, with its questions like sucker punches.

I'm just putting this out there with the hope that someone might be able to give me pointers or any sort of outside perspective on how I can minimize the drama and maximize the results this upcoming Spring and beyond. In particular, any credible resources for Pharmacy School Biochemistry would be greatly appreciated, as Khan Academy did not agree with my instructor's specific material. I already plan to hit the ground running in a few weeks, but hopefully there's other tips or advice that someone here might care to share. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

As the title states, I managed to get by P1 Fall as a 31-year-old transfer who previously had not been a full-time student since 2019. My only "failure" was in Biochemistry, in which I finished with a D. However, the way my program works is that they'll still let me take the class in the Spring that I needed Biochemistry for (Principles of Drug Action I), but I would have to retake Biochemistry in a future Fall semester (P2 Fall was suggested to me, but I'd rather it be P3 Fall, where I would have fewer standard credits that I would already need to complete for that semester). In total, as I look to this upcoming Spring, I have 19 credits spread across 7 or so classes staring back at me.

One thing that helped me rally late in the Fall was my Student Affairs Director telling me to view the program as a 9-5 job. I already had the sense that I had to view it that way even before I started, but the overall adjustment period kind of clouded things for me, and I started getting in my own head. At any rate, there are three big things looming over me moving forward. Firstly, I have to manage 19 credits and find a system for staying on top of important dates and assignments this Spring. Secondly, I have to deal with Principles of Drug Action when Biochemistry practically destroyed me (at least it's not the same instructor, for the most part). And thirdly, I eventually have to retake Biochemistry and find a way past those exams that caused me so much agita, with its questions like sucker punches.

I'm just putting this out there with the hope that someone might be able to give me pointers or any sort of outside perspective on how I can minimize the drama and maximize the results this upcoming Spring and beyond. In particular, any credible resources for Pharmacy School Biochemistry would be greatly appreciated, as Khan Academy did not agree with my instructor's specific material. I already plan to hit the ground running in a few weeks, but hopefully there's other tips or advice that someone here might care to share. Cheers.
If you just "barely survived" your 1st semester of pharmacy school then you should not treat it as a 9-5 job. It should be a 9a to 10p job instead. Things will only get more challenging from now. Maybe you should make friend with people who do well in your class and see how they study.

Reactions: 3 users
Yea, I am not sure what they mean as a 9-5 job...for most jobs (to some extent), you can leave work at work. That's definitely not the case as a student. If you're struggling this much before you dive in deep into your didactic pharm-therapeutics, I would see if you could join a study group. If you're currently working while in school, you may have to consider cutting back your hours, or not work at all.

Although biochemistry was a meaty topic (first exam I had when I was a student), your future classes are going to be that much more difficult. Does your school have help-services for students? Have you attempted to strategize and have a planner with you 24/7 (that made all the difference for me)?

I would start with being a part of a study group, minimize outside work, then I would take a mental break for every 1.5 to 2 hours of studying (light work out, binge-watch short youtube clips for 20 min, start studying again).

Members don't see this ad :)
That mentality sure has changed. The general standard was at least 30 minutes outside of class for every didactic hour in, which is an 11 to 12 hour day including lecture time.

Here’s the thing. You need to get an honest diagnostic whether your struggling was study skills related, outside issues, or scholastic inability. That’s usually the order of why students don’t succeed, and if you were admitted,someone thought something positive of your academic ability.

Reactions: 3 users
That mentality sure has changed. The general standard was at least 30 minutes outside of class for every didactic hour in, which is an 11 to 12 hour day including lecture time.

Here’s the thing. You need to get an honest diagnostic whether your struggling was study skills related, outside issues, or scholastic inability. That’s usually the order of why students don’t succeed, and if you were admitted,someone thought something positive of your academic ability.
I was always told at 1-2 hours of study time for every 1 hour of class time during undergrad. Once I actually kept track of my study hours and I was averaging about 1.5 hours of study time for every 1 hour of class time (not counting the three hour lab classes) but then again, I graduated 3rd in my class (humble brag) :)

Reactions: 1 user