PA-any helpful info to increase chances getting in..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDKid89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am totally blanked out now...I feel I am doing alright to be a PA, but reading all these posts is making me have doubts and now I'm a wreck. I have some clinical experience and my GPA is not bad at all and I feel safe enough to get in but I'm not sure now. For a PA, what is the best way to increase your chances of getting in? What GPA would you need to get to get a chance to be admitted. I KNOW having the minimum is not going to get you in. I would like to start applying now.

Members don't see this ad.

I am totally blanked out now...I feel I am doing alright to be a PA, but reading all these posts is making me have doubts and now I'm a wreck. I have some clinical experience and my GPA is not bad at all and I feel safe enough to get in but I'm not sure now. For a PA, what is the best way to increase your chances of getting in? What GPA would you need to get to get a chance to be admitted. I KNOW having the minimum is not going to get you in. I would like to start applying now.

2007 admissions survey data mean and median GPA was 3.5 overall, 3.5 science. Experience required varies from school to school, but the more you have, the better your chances. Best way of increasing chances is to work for pay as a CNA, LPN, RN, EMT-P, EMT-B, etc. (not greeter, ward clerk, and other non-hands on folks). If your grades are not up to par, take classes that have a bearing such as immunology, virology, genetics, etc and get As.

Around here the number of people applying to PA programs has increased dramatically in just a few years. In 2008, you had a good shot at getting in, by 2010, not so much.

UC Davis PA Program

Applicants 2008 2009 2010
Total # of Applicants 270 405 1252

%Interviewed 50% 28% 9.1%

Students 2008 2009 2010
% Offered Admission 22% 17% 5.5%

By comparison, the CRNA program has better odds... (provided you have all the requirements of course).

CRNA Statistical Information
Please note that fall 2010 data will be posted in August 2010.
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Total Applicants .[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Total Enrolled .
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fall 2007 79 23.
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fall 2008 118 26.
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fall 2009 . 113 29

Last edited:
It helps to have lots and lots of volunteer experience built up through the years ... but of course you've been doing that all along, so I'm sure there's nothing to worry about there :)