PA/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stayce

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I am a 23 year old student torn between becoming a PA and a DO. I truly love the philosophy of DO, but have heard about people that have no life outside of medicine once they graduate. I completely understand the meaning of full dedication, but not at the cost of having a family or life outside of work. I am the daughter of a PA and feel that it is a wonderful career, but at the same time am ready to re-evaluate and dive into the med school application process. My GPA is not perfect, butI do have a lot of experience in health care and am determined. Maybe too determined. :)

Any advice from DO's or students would be terrific. Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

As there are stories of having "No life" after med school, there are also wonderful stories about having a "life" after med school....

I feel that you have to search within yourself of what type of things you want to do within the health care field.... I'm sure you know the limitations of being a PA and you know the shortcomings of being a DO....

Decide what's best for you. There are many stories out there. Both sides of the argument.... Good luck and best wishes

My former medical director of my ambulance service was a cardiovascular surgery PA before becoming a DO. I asked him the very same question that you are asking? DO or PA?

He told me that if you have any thoughts of becoming a doctor or have always wanted to be a doctor then most definately DO NOT go the PA route. He said that you will always feel like you settled and that PA is not what you REALLY wanted.

I'm not badmouthing PA's by any means, but this is what the doctor told me. Do what you REALLY want to do.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
I considered becoming a PA instead of a physician. My thought was, why only do 90% of anything? If you are going to give that much, might as well go for 100%.

As far as lifestyle, we all make sacrifices. It is part of the process. My family is extremely supportive and understands what I am doing. Before I even began taking pre-med classes, I gave my parents a book the same book I read regarding applying to medical school and the life of a medical student. Plus, I discussed my decision with a few close friends and enlisted their help! On the "bad" days after an Organic Chem test or when I was exhausted, their support and encouragement kept me focused.

I may not have all the time I did for my family and friends, but I do have time. In fact, I make a point of spending quality time with my family and friends weekly.

Good luck with your decision...

stacye,

I'm a second year student at MSUCOM. I have a classmate that was a PA for a couple years and now is going to be a DO. I think he'd be a great resource for you. Email him at [email protected]