PA in Neonatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsomething

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that NNPs are the dominant mid level practitioners in neonatology but is it still possible to work as a PA in the discipline? As a nursing student, I had the oppotunity to shadow in the NICU and really liked it. I have since decided to pursue PA school over nursing but still would like to work in the neonatal unit. I could pursue nursing again if it's the only way to get in there but I would prefer the PA route. Thanks in advance for your insight! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I also had the same question. I have met several PA's in the NICU, but there are definately more NP's. I would love to hear some feedback from others too!

hey guys,

i am interested in this as well. I wonder what the reply would be if a pa were to apply to a job posting for an ARNP in neonatal. Why do u guys think the field is dominated by NP's? Thanks for any insight.

brandon

Members don't see this ad :)
"Why do u guys think the field is dominated by NP's?"

I think nursing has generally dominated any medical specialty related to women's health/maternity and children

e.g., midwives, NNP, pediatric NP, women's health CNS

I think these particular specialties relating to women and children seem to mesh perfectly with their nursing philosphy and maybe thats why they've thrived in the specialties. Maybe these specialtie require more nurturing and emotional support which goes along with the nursing philosophy?

I am a new PA that graduated in May, and I recently started as a neonatal PA working in two NICUs in Philadelphia. I am doing a residency for the next ten months with the guarantee of a full time position when I am done. Both NICUs have only used NNPs, so I am the first PA in both units. I recommend doing a rotation in a NICU while you are still in PA school in order to make connection. Applying to NNP job postings can never hurt, and just making cold calls to various NICUs can be quite helpful.

I will gladly answer any questions about finding a job, residencies, etc....just drop me an email: [email protected] :)

are you doing the informal residency at Temple? How do you get into it? I am very interested in working in the NICU, and may be interested in residency-type training to boost my education and resume.

optimist819 said:
hey guys,

Why do u guys think the field is dominated by NP's? Thanks for any insight.

brandon

I would guess because the NNP's were NICU nurses and are already known to those who hire. And they sort of have a inside advantage even when going to a new hospital as they have already dealt with a very special patient. Which means they already have developed the skills and have had many hours observing what the drs, other NNP's and PA's are doing. So getting their foot in the door is so much easier.