PA is chief of hospitalist service at VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
I don't think Maine has what you'd call a full service VA system. The COS is an administrative role. I seriously doubt any of the physicians there are upset or envious. The COS for psychiatry is often advertised as any of psychiatrist, advanced practice nurse, psychologist, or social worker. I don't think the credential of the administrator has an impact on patient care.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think Maine has what you'd call a full service VA system. The COS is an administrative role. I seriously doubt any of the physicians there are upset or envious. The COS for psychiatry is often advertised as any of psychiatrist, advanced practice nurse, psychologist, or social worker. I don't think the credential of the administrator has an impact on patient care.
Yeah, I have a feeling it was one of those things like “so no doc wants this job, and this physician assistant wants to try out a management role really really badly. Let’s run with this since it’s right in front of us”.

It’s the VA… the providers there aren’t in it to get rich, they are in it in large part for lifestyle factors or personal satisfaction. Running a department and showing up to more meetings for a department that runs itself means needless headaches and ruined fishing trips. All any of the 11 docs would have had to do is raise their hand and say “sure, I’ll take it”, and that physician assistant would still be back to attending 8 fewer meetings a week, and quit pretending that he does more than just makes a schedule and move papers around. It’s the VA… the workforce below you is unionized and tells you what do do, and the budgeting and allocation is codified. His pay might not have even increased when he took that role. He will be in that role until A) a physician wants it, or B) he crosses a physician. If physician assistants really do end up with scut work, then that’s the ultimate scut work role. If it’s lauded and touted by his peers, then it’s likely because it’s cheaper to nod and say “oh that’s a really prestigious role, and he’s a natural fit just like a doctor” vs. hiking his wage. YMMV on what I suggest, but I’ve been in situations at places I’ve worked where a leadership role opens up, and everyone is walking around with their phones turned off hoping nobody in management comes by to voluntell you for it. If it was worthwhile, any of the 11 docs would have stepped in to fill it, but apparently it wasn’t even good for a resume boost. I should note that I could say anything I noted here if we were talking about an NP instead of a physician assistant in that role.

In theory, and with obvious limitations, my boss can tell me what to do. Since my boss is an MBA, and not a medical person, the real clout is their ability to fire me vs actually having power over me to compel me. The compulsion ends at the point where I’m willing to leave. My boss would then be accountable for me leaving, and may therefore be asked to leave if I left. In any event, my boss makes considerably less than I do. I’ve never thought of trying to go around my boss, but I could if I wanted, and would probably have more power over a situation where I did that than would my boss. So who gets to brag? Me… or my boss? My boss could go ahead and make my life complicated, but only as far as I wanted it to go until I started taking note and passing up the chain. Again… who is the boss?

Last edited:
I worked as Associate Chief of a community ED about 20 years ago. I got 10% over base pay plus actual admin hrs worked. It wasn't worth it.
There was 1 MD chief, 2 MD associate chiefs, and me. We each had our little areas of control. I did all the hiring, firing, discipline, and scheduling for a group of 12 PAs and NPs. I wrote the schedule for the PAs/NPs. For physician disciplinary actions, I had one vote out of 4. A few docs were let go for gross negligence based on my vote. I remember one particular doc who could not intubate a critical pt and refused to let anyone else try, including myself and several physicians. The pt died.

Reactions: 1 users
I worked as Associate Chief of a community ED about 20 years ago. I got 10% over base pay plus actual admin hrs worked. It wasn't worth it.
There was 1 MD chief, 2 MD associate chiefs, and me. We each had our little areas of control. I did all the hiring, firing, discipline, and scheduling for a group of 12 PAs and NPs. I wrote the schedule for the PAs/NPs. For physician disciplinary actions, I had one vote out of 4. A few docs were let go for gross negligence based on my vote. I remember one particular doc who could not intubate a critical pt and refused to let anyone else try, including myself and several physicians. The pt died.
Indeed, I have several NP friends who are or have been the lead over the nonphysician providers. It’s added responsibility with little reward. Overall, good for that physician assistant of he wants that role. The folks who think it’s terrible are overreacting, and so are the folks who think that’s a new benchmark of the profession.