PA Program Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jalmostpa

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in becoming a PA but I have a few questions. First, I haven't been able to find too much info about prgrams from an objective source (like U.S. News and World Report rankings). How do I tell good programs from not-so-good ones? Second, I know PA's don't specialize. However, I am very interested in working in pediatrics and I've been looking at programs like the one offered at the University of Colorado. My question is, is this bad because it is specialized? I wouldn't want to get a degree after 3 years and then not be able to switch to another setting if I wanted to. Is it better to go with a more traditional prgram and then pick a setting to work in after graduating with a degree? Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

The US News rankings won't help you much with PA schools. Their latest rankings for PA's was in 2000 and they only give the top five. I would say that if you are not completely positive that you want to go into pediatrics, go to a program that is not specialized. Most, if not all, programs will have a required Peds rotation and you can then determine if that is what you want. Specialized programs are few and far between and it might give you the upper hand at some point but there is no guarantee. I think that Post-grad residency programs would be more beneficial than just a program with a particular emphasis. Hope this helps!

If you graduate from PA school you are a PA...and can change careers like any other PA...

Something to keep in mind though is that you have to take the same PANCE as someone who graduates from a program that concentrates on surgery, or a graduate from a program that focuses on primary care....