PA Programs that Start January '09?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reappMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Many PA programs won't take an MCAT score as pre-requisite. Many if not most require the GRE instead. I know on interview days at my school, if they see you have an MCAT score it's considered a potential sign that you're not "serious" about PA school. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Generally, programs will differ somewhat on where the cut-off is for GPA, test score, hours of experience, etc. And those differences might be regional things, preferences based on previous classes, or some other unknowable. All you can do is research carefully and get a sense of what the individual program likes.

Plus, as I forever like to say, you should make YOUR application as good as it can be, rather than trying to meet what you take to be the critical threshold for entry to a hypothetical program.

It's natural to worry, but the only possible real answer to a question like that would be that the program where you will eventually wind up probably has accepted someone with exactly your stats... and they've probably denied someone else with exactly those stats, too. It really is about more than the numbers.

generally PA schools have a bit higher gpa acceptance. At least those in the top 50. However, a gpa in of itself is meaningless. Did you obtain that GPA in 4 years while taking challenging courses with extracurriculars, research and employment? or did it take you 6 years with a non medically related major while binge drinking. :shrug:

generally PA schools have a bit higher gpa acceptance. At least those in the top 50. However, a gpa in of itself is meaningless. Did you obtain that GPA in 4 years while taking challenging courses with extracurriculars, research and employment? or did it take you 6 years with a non medically related major while binge drinking. :shrug:

How about splitting the difference - 5 years bio/chem, work, extracurriculars, and binge drinking?:laugh:

I'd leave the MCAT out of the equation for PA school as it raises too many questions, but that is just me. Many schools will consider people who meet their minimum in the 'numbers' but offer other traits that most other students don't have (the big picture; who you are as a person, not just a student). As the above posts state, work on being the best applicant you can be and then apply.

Hey there, I have previously applied to med school but now I think I may prefer PA. I am interested in fp and derm (I've done derm research) but would really enjoy doing rotations and checking out the different fields of medicine. Are there any programs still accepting applications for January '09?

THANKS!

have you found any yet? I am still looking for some that start in Jan