PA Psychologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine really enjoys research and psychotherapy, but also wants to learn basic medicine and psychopharmacology. She does not want to endure 8 years of medical school/residency, and is solely interested in working in psychiatry/psychology. Would PA be a good option for her? Also, would clinical experience as a psychologist satisfy the clinical experience requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to post in the clinicians forum. I'm researching Nurse practitioner programs, and I know that there are Psychiatric NP's who prescribe and learn psychotherapy. It's a relatively new NP specialty.

First she'd have to get an RN degree first, but if she already has a bachelor's, the RN part would be 1-2 years depending on the program. Then she'd have to get the Psych NP degree which can be another 1-2 years.

PublicHealth said:
A friend of mine really enjoys research and psychotherapy, but also wants to learn basic medicine and psychopharmacology. She does not want to endure 8 years of medical school/residency, and is solely interested in working in psychiatry/psychology. Would PA be a good option for her? Also, would clinical experience as a psychologist satisfy the clinical experience requirement?

you might want to go to allnurses.com, they have good info. on all NP and CRNA programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your friend is already a psychologist with experience, then 1) yes, her work as a psychologist ABSOLUTELY fulfills the need for clinical experience and would be viewed very positively by any admissions committee as it involves significant patient responsibility and 2) PA is a viable option. She would still have to do all of the PA coursework, all the routine rotations (internal medicine/peds/OB-GYN/surgery/EM/family medicine etc., etc.), take and pass NCCPA certification exam, get a state license and a supervising physician (ideally a psychiatrist). It would be WISE for her to do one of the PA psychiatry residencies--a year long or so, I think a colleague of mine did one in Iowa. There's also a national society for PAs in psychiatry...go to the AAPA website and look for specialty organizations. Plenty of information.
No reason to go to nursing school to be a PMHNP if she's already a psychologist--would just be another 2-4 years of training before she can get into a PMHNP program.
Lisa PA-C

nev said:
you might want to go to allnurses.com, they have good info. on all NP and CRNA programs.

thats true...I agree with primadonna

I am about to graduate from a PA program & we are one of the places that has a 'psych' residency for PAs.

I have also seen several 'psychiatric' PA job postings for the Houston area, so the jobs are out there.

Take care,
Mon

I think it is a great idea for psychologists interested in medical aspects of the field to go to PA school, but in Ca psychology counts very little towards so called "clinical experience" by the UC system. I checked it out, and was told just this about 10 years ago...may be different now. ;)

I was speaking from my personal experience as a PA admissions committee member/reviewer/interviewer. It would score very high in my book.
Lisa

psisci said:
I think it is a great idea for psychologists interested in medical aspects of the field to go to PA school, but in Ca psychology counts very little towards so called "clinical experience" by the UC system. I checked it out, and was told just this about 10 years ago...may be different now. ;)

Yeah. FYI, for those of you wannabes, this is the formula we used at my school in weighing clinical experience: number of hours x level of patient responsibility on a 5-1 scale (5=high, 1=very low). So, a psychologist, RN, chiropractor, etc. (primarily people with an independent license) has a high degree of patient responsibility and scores high. EMTs are medium-high. MAs, phlebotomists, etc. are medium to medium-low depending on job description. Lab researchers e.g. people who have little or no patient contact are low responsibility. So, the higher your number of clinical hours + the higher your level of responsibility, the better score you have for clinical experience. Many times this has made up for a so-so academic score.
L.

psisci said:
I am glad things have changed!!! ;)

Absatootely! Great faculty at my alma mater was a prolifically published (And clinically involved;) ). Psych PA. Don't buy into having to be an NP. Everybody will be doing everything soon anyways. Exs: NICU PA's now (Formerly NP territory), and CV Surgery NP's (Yes, NP's!).

The only problem with the psych-PA thing is that you would have to carry 2 separate licenses, and two separate malpractice plans. Also if one were primarily practicing psychology with med management you would be under the control of an MD for your Rx'ing, but not the rest of the job (Dx, assess,tx), and that could be weird if your supervising MD was not a psychiatrist. I still think it is a good option for psychologists. I also think RxP will explode real soon, and I expect to see a bill in Ca very soon. Regardless of what critics say the MSCP program is equal in didactics to an MSN,PA program, but much more focused on psych. What the MSCP needs as good standardized residency with supervision component.

:)

Recent posting for PA psych opening and job requirements.

Position Requirements:
EDUCATION: Physician Assistant A. Bachelor's degree from a PA Training Program certified by the Accreditation Review Commission of Education of Physician Assistants, ARC-PA (formerly CAHEA) and one year or practice as a PA; or a Master's Degree in a health care occupation or health related science and BA/BS degree from a Physician Assistant Training Program certified by ARC-PA; or Master's degree from a PA training program which is certified by the ARC-PA. B. Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants. C. Must obtain an Iowa License. Nurse Practitioner A. Master's degree form an NLN accredited Nurse Practitioner Program. B. Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a Nurse Practitioner in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. C. Must obtain an Iowa License. QUALIFICATIONS: A. A minimum of two years independent practice as a Physician Extender is prefer

I see nothing that says this person ahs to be anything but a PA. We were discussing people who want to be psychologists and prescribe, so they go out and get a PA license in addition to the psych license.