PA route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Astharia

OB1gynobi
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I obviously want to work with people, particularly women, educate them, and serve them in any capacity I can. I want to work in rural populations with the under-served, and ultimately want to be a physician, but I believe I would be happy with being a PA as well.

I've recently applied this year to medical school, and although I'm still waiting to hear back, I'm wondering about PA programs and wondering if I should apply, because I'm not expecting much from MD/DO.
My uGPA is 2.87, sGPA 2.7 my current grad GPA in an MSBS program is 3.5, should graduate with 3.7. I have an MCAT of 503 and a GRE of 314. I had 40 hours of DO shaddowing at time of application, andI also have 3300+ hours of working as a unit secretary, registration, and all sorts of roles in various hospitals. It's not directly clinically related, but I did do the 750 hour CNA course, and I had frequent exposure to patients admitted and ER patients.

My PS reflects my difficulties and why my GPA is low, three kids, health issues of my youngest and myself, and my husband being absent for two years while he was finishing an intense statistics graduate degree. I'm obviously doing well in my Master's program and have good letters from my PI's, a couple of other professors, and one DO. I did get a DO interview at my Master's school but was ultimately rejected (I find out next week what happened, though I suspect its usGPA and not my interview skills). I still have 9 secondaries out with a pre-II hold at one, and silence from the rest. I understand it's early in the cycle but everything was in for me in July so I feel that it's not looking good at this point. I will try again next year, but ultimately I wonder if I'm a more competitive PA candidate.
TIA

Members don't see this ad.

It might be possible to gain admission to a PA school, however your ugpa is below the 10th percentile of matriculants at pa schools(3.2)
Another limiting factors is that PA schools require certain pre-reqs that you would have to complete prior to matriculation.
Lastly a majority of schools place a large emphasis on direct patient care some schools have hard cut-offs for this .

You might benefit from asking questions on the PA subforum or maybe even another website where designed for PAs.

Student Surveys and Reports
upload_2018-9-30_16-34-27.png

Members don't see this ad :)
it is my understanding your prereq GPA is what matters the most and they don't care so much about extra classes, so that is a struggle. For example, a business major who aced the prereqs might be over a biochem major who barely passed the prereqs. We know which one of those majors is more difficult, but doesn't matter.

Do you have healthcare experience? From what I know, most PA programs require this , such as I have seen some asking for at least 1000 hours and others saying only in the hundreds, but strong preference is given to those who have more. I am sure some are more relaxed on this. My local PA program seems to put more emphasis on your experience than your prereqs , at least that is how they discuss it on the info page.

it is my understanding your prereq GPA is what matters the most and they don't care so much about extra classes, so that is a struggle. For example, a business major who aced the prereqs might be over a biochem major who barely passed the prereqs. We know which one of those majors is more difficult, but doesn't matter.

Do you have healthcare experience? From what I know, most PA programs require this , such as I have seen some asking for at least 1000 hours and others saying only in the hundreds, but strong preference is given to those who have more. I am sure some are more relaxed on this. My local PA program seems to put more emphasis on your experience than your prereqs , at least that is how they discuss it on the info page.
My prereq GPA is actually pretty decent. I'd have to calculate it though but I'm pretty sure it's over 3.2. My Jr and senior year of undergrad in bio killed my GPA because I was taking only science classes and had a lot of issues outside of school that influenced my grades.

I have over 3300 hours of general healthcare experience. It depends on how clinical they want it. Did I directly care for patients in any way? No. Did I routinely interact with patients and families? Yes. I also got to provide minimal care when they were waiting in the ER and needed ice or gauze. I got to witness a lot of health care while being in the ER registering patients in their treatment room or in inpatient rooms. I worked in the ER of a rural hospital and basically got to shadow the PAs running the show. They were pretty awesome. I would have to shadow a PA officially first though before application.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Oh this sounds good, you have some experience and over a 3.2 is good. Actually it is great you got to see PAs in action already :) Yes, shadowing a PA is needed as you mentioned.

Can't hurt to try right?