PA school applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madamepreDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for honest feedback/advice regarding my situation. I graduated from engineering school in 2011. I had one W and one semester of all C's. I took a gap year after graduating where I shadowed and volunteered. I then got an engineering job, but after the training it was not the best fit. So then I went back to volunteering at free clinics and mentoring an at risk child while taking refresher courses at the community college. I was then offered a scribe job. In August 2015, I was in a MA Biomedicine program and got a 3.6. I was withdrew from the Spring semester as I had to go back home to take care of a personal issue, which is now resolved.

My final undergrad gpa was a 3.08; not sure about science. In community college, I got all A's but there is one F from a class i took while I was a senior in high school that will be on record.

I am just confused if I should go back the school to finish my MA; it will take me 2.5 years instead of 2 and I will be a few months shy of turning 29 when I graduate. My biggest fear is not getting an interview.

I appreciate all advice and honesty about my chances of getting into PA school.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you are looking for honesty, I feel obliged to tell you that since PA's are basically MD's (practice-wise) you really need to be at the top in terms of grades, responsibility, reliability etc. Your undergraduate GPA is probably about 0.5 points below what you would need to get in and even though your MA GPA is very good, they will likely take both into consideration. Your academic track record that is basically sprawled all over the place makes you seem unreliable and uncommitted (just an honest opinion, I have no idea if you're really like that). I also think that your work experience is not up to par with what other students will be applying with. All in all, I don't think there's anything wrong with your situation or statistics but I just think the competition out there will overwhelm you. I would suggest maybe getting a good, steady health-care job and finishing your MA or maybe even considering another career: there are so many more options out there than just Dr., Nurse, PA, etc. Good luck!