PA school personal statements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmilyHua

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently working on my PA school apps and I'm concerned about my personal statement. The simple prompt this year is what motivated you to become a PA. 1000 characters, about 450 words - simple enough.

So I had a good honest answer ready, but my essay pretty much contradicts the advice I've heard. My motivation stems a from childhood and adolescence and my decision to pursue a PA career has been mainly from personal research of the profession and evaluation of what I want in life. I've had mainly volunteer experience, and typical bio classes and history (my two majors).

The advice I've gotten so far says to leave out anything from pre-college and to rely on work experience and school. Although school and volunteer work did help me decide, to say that is my main source of motivation is a lie.

Also, my life has been highly influenced by travel and financial struggles in my adult life. What I've seen while traveling has been part of my motivation, and I'd like to include that. The financial struggles limited what I could do in college. I was constantly struggling to support myself. Looking back, I wish I had done more to gain experience - it just didn't happen. This really shaped me and taught me a lot, but I'm not sure if this really fits in my essay.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I'm currently working on my PA school apps and I'm concerned about my personal statement. The simple prompt this year is what motivated you to become a PA. 1000 characters, about 450 words - simple enough.

So I had a good honest answer ready, but my essay pretty much contradicts the advice I've heard. My motivation stems a from childhood and adolescence and my decision to pursue a PA career has been mainly from personal research of the profession and evaluation of what I want in life. I've had mainly volunteer experience, and typical bio classes and history (my two majors).

The advice I've gotten so far says to leave out anything from pre-college and to rely on work experience and school. Although school and volunteer work did help me decide, to say that is my main source of motivation is a lie.

Also, my life has been highly influenced by travel and financial struggles in my adult life. What I've seen while traveling has been part of my motivation, and I'd like to include that. The financial struggles limited what I could do in college. I was constantly struggling to support myself. Looking back, I wish I had done more to gain experience - it just didn't happen. This really shaped me and taught me a lot, but I'm not sure if this really fits in my essay.

Any advice?[/QUOTE]

Unless you plan on whoever helps you write your statement to go through PA school for you, you should write your own statement.