PA specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUC78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre-health student looking into pursuing the PA route. I was curious about the application process behind working in specific departments and how competitive it is.

From my research it seems like some departments may require residencies, but other sources say residencies are not so commonly pursued as on the job training is available.

I'm specifically interested in neonatology so any insight on that would be really helpful as well.

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Residencies are not required to get a job. With that being said, most of the midlevels working in neonatology seem to be NPs. You may want to consider dong a residency as it will make you more marketable to employers and will help with the steep learning curve that many PAs working in the NICU experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the reply! Are there certain departments where most PAs tend to work/there is the most demand for them?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a big demand for PAs in primary care. Many work in primary care, emergency medicine, urgent care and surgical subspecialties.

There is a big demand for PAs in primary care. Many work in primary care, emergency medicine, urgent care and surgical subspecialties.

Do you know if there's any additional steps to doing PA surgical subspecialty? And if so, what are they?

PAs education is well rounded, and they come out of school ready to practice as generalists. You just go and find a doctor to work for that does surgery.

I would say that if interested in a specific surgical subspecialty then try to do an elective rotation in that specialty. Otherwise, no.

I would say that if interested in a specific surgical subspecialty then try to do an elective rotation in that specialty. Otherwise, no.

Would be uniquely interested in neurosurgery subspeciality if possible.