PA to MD Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

23katie23

Reaction score
Hi All!
Looking for some advice in planning my timeline for medical school. I am currently in my clinical year of PA school and will be graduating in less than a year. I’ve known for a while that I want to pursue the MD route, but had hoped those feelings would subside. At this point, I know in my heart I will not be completely fulfilled being a PA and that the scope of practice will limit me if I ever want to do international work (which is a huge interest for me). Would you advise applying for medical school straight out of PA school or try to work a few years as a PA? Does it look bad to admission committees if I start applying to medical school without even being done with PA school or without truly working as a PA? Overall, I think I am a fairly well rounded applicant, even though my science GPA could be higher. My undergrad GPA is a 3.64, science GPA is a little low at 3.2, >4000 hours as a CNA, lots of volunteer work in a free clinic & food bank, played basketball in undergrad with many other extracurriculars, and currently president of my PA class. My grades fell a little bit sophomore and junior year in my science classes, but senior year science classes were 3.7. My post-graduate GPA is a 3.55. I still need to take the MCAT, but have a study plan in place and have been reviewing nightly with Kaplan, Anki Decks, and Khan Academy. Any advice on how to go about this would be appreciated, especially any other PAs turned MD/DO!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t know you still came over to SDN anymore! Nice seeing you over here
Thanks. I am working a lot and I was bored and a lot of the prior trolls here have moved on. Going to try to not get into any pissing matches and just provide helpful info without getting into PA vs MD VS NP, etc type discussions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I am a PA currently and will be starting at LECOM Seton Hill next year. I initially applied to the 3 year accelerated PA to DO program but ended up choosing the four year DO program. FYI, PAs who matriculate have an average of 5 years experience as a PA. Not sure how much that factors into the admission decision. I’ve been a PA for 7 years. Good luck and feel free to message me for other info.