PA to MD and prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceb2022

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working as a PA for two years and want to pursue an MD degree. My cumulative GPA for undergrad and my master's program is 3.96, and I feel like completing a PA program with a high GPA helps demonstrate that I likely can perform well in an MD program. However I did not complete one full year of undergrad biology lab (missing one section of lab) and did not take a full year of organic chemistry (I took one semester of inorganic chemistry with lab and one section of organic chemistry with lab). Some programs require these courses, but some "recommend" them. Assuming I perform in the >/=90th percentile for the MCAT/am otherwise a competitive candidate, will I still be considered for matriculation with my prerequisite background? I am curious what other PAs have done.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It sounds like you meet the prerequisites for some schools but not others. I'm in a similar boat as you where I did part of the biology requirement, then did other upper division Biology classes so I meet some schools' biology requirements but not others. I'm planning to call around to see what different schools actually mean when they say "1 year biology with lab" and don't specify whether that only applies to lower division biology or also counts upper division classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prepare to jump through any and all hoops while applying to med school. The one exception I know of is LECOM (which is why I applied there as a former PA).

Also be aware that most programs (especially MD) are not impressed by PA training and will not relax their admission requirements. Believe me, I tried and got nowhere with that strategy. I had 7+ years in practice and 3.9+ GPA yet they wouldn’t even budge on their shadowing requirements.

I would plan on completing all listed prereqs and crush the MCAT. That way you can apply broadly to improve your chances.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
I recommend speaking to the schools to clarify their stance on shadowing and expectations for pre/reqs.
As an n of one: I am a PA with nearly 20 years experience (that included teaching and research), okay but not perfect undergrad and PA GPA and MCAT. I did not have to retake old undergrad coursework. I completed org2 in person at a community college. Having worked in PA admissions, I knew traditionally taught pre-reqs would be preferred, but even in a city with multiple universities, it was impossible to find class schedules that worked with my full-time PA job. COVID happened right after I finished org 2 so I completed the remaining pre-reqs online (biology via community college and biochem via UFlorida). There are some medical schools who have now returned to pre-COVID requirements for traditional coursework but many haven’t. I spoke to adcoms at a Texas schools pre-med event who advised that they were flexible with PA experience being considered in lieu of shadowing.

In my case, I received 3 ILs for Texas schools, and was accepted to my first choice (Texas) MD school, which, to be totally transparent, is the same institution where I attended and taught PA school and worked clinically.

I am currently an MS1. And loving it!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users