Seeking Advise on dropping out of RN to do prerequisites for MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalfwayKing

Reaction score
I obtained a Bachelors(2017) from a virginia state school in Health Science with major of the classes being public health concentrated. I did poorly in science classes due to poor studying skills and dedication to school. I graduated with a 2.61 GPA. I have since worked as a paramedic for the past 6 years and currently work as a flight paramedic.

I have since started a ADN RN program that I have finished the first of two years. Currently have a 3.3 GPA. During this program, I have really come to the conclusion that I do not want to be a nurse but only wanted to do my current job with a higher salary. This whole program has made me realize that I need to pursue a career as a physician or I'll never be fully satisfied with my career.

I am looking for advise on whether or not dropping out of nursing school to pursue taking all the prerequisites of DO/MD would look bad for applications. Or if finishing out my final year of nursing and then starting my prerequisites would look better.

I am fully expecting to need to complete a master's degree after finishing my prerequisities to build my GPA and be a competitive applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

The only masters that would help for medical school would be an SMP. These are rather expensive and performing like you have done in the RN program so far would close the door to medical school. I am not very confident in your ability to ace the pre-reqs or the intensive courses found in the SMP.