PA to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue128K

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you Physician Assistants trying to get into Med. School? I was wondering how long you have been out of school, what else you had to do to apply, how difficult it was, and how medical schools look at your app (Has experience in med. field or do they look at it in a bad way?). Just wondering...Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Whoops, I thought you were looking for travel times from Pennsylvania to Maryland for an interview.

Complimentary bump!

LOL

Me too.

That is an interesting question though. Ask your prehealth advisor. It might be hard to answer the question: why medicine. Ie why since you are a PA will you spend 200k+ dollars and 8 years of your life to become a physician. Im sure you have a bunch of great ideas though ...

Dr Anyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by periodic
Whoops, I thought you were looking for travel times from Pennsylvania to Maryland for an interview.

Complimentary bump!

lol, me too. i was gonna say, dude its not that far, and there was a thread on it a week ago. anyways, free bump!

check out the nursing forum. i know it's not PA, but there are quite a few threads on there about nurses going to med school. good luck!!

I did it. In fact, everyone I interviewed with was surprised that few PA's go this route. Generally, it is well-regarded. Of course, the main factor for any school will be MCAT score.

Originally posted by PA_to_MD
I did it. In fact, everyone I interviewed with was surprised that few PA's go this route. Generally, it is well-regarded. Of course, the main factor for any school will be MCAT score.

What are the odds of this? Wow. Her first post too. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm no expert but I have heard that some schools look hard at the PA or Nurse to MD path. You have to have a pretty good story and personal statement because I guess it's sort of a medical predjudice or something. I'm not sure why, but this is what I have heard.

It doesn't seem like it would make sense but they seem to prefer someone coming in from a different field than from a physician's right hand side. But I would post in the PA or the Allopathic forum and see who bites your line. It can be done - no question about it, tho.