PA to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Persevere_84

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would look at DO schools being a non grad with low MCAT and below average UG GPA. They seem to be more holistic and may over look you low MCAT, and like your story of being a PA.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for replying! It's nice to hear from other non traditional applicants who were in similar situations as currently, I am not sure where I stand or how I will be evaluated compared to other applicants. I have actually already started the application process for both MD and DO schools. I submitted my primary applications in early June as I wanted to get the verification process rolling pending my MCAT score. My primary apps have already been verified and I have already received secondary apps from some MD and DO schools, but I know it doesn't mean anything since some schools do not screen. I have nothing against DO schools. I will be applying to DO schools as well but also didn't want to give up on MD schools as I am not sure how far my experience practicing medicine will carry me in my application. I would like to think that having medical experience would be looked upon favorably. I am also planning on applying to my state schools.

I tried to look into the MSAR you had mentioned, did you have to purchase it to gain access to it?

Awesome! Seems like you are doing everything you need too!

Yes, I purchased MSAR but I actually emailed nearly every school I applied to in order to confirm my pre-reqs were fine.
How are you doing with Letters? I found that to be my most limiting factor when applying a lot of individual school restrictions so look closely to each specific schools website.

You are a step ahead of most and are at an amazing advantage for Step and COMLEX, I hope you get in!

Hopefully @Goro will look at your list and give some more recommendations too.

Yes

Last edited:
I am a practicing PA that is applying this cycle to medical school. I also have a family and have been out of undergrad since 2010. I would hold off applying this cycle and wait until next cycle because of that MCAT score if you are only interested in an MD school. Start studying for the MCAT from scratch (I have some tips for you that worked for me if you want them).

The good thing about your ER schedule is you can cut down your hours to 3-12s. That leaves you a lot of time for studying. You can do this.

Your GPA should not limit you. I think the MCAT might. I have a similar GPA and ECs (and likely similar in age to you) with a 520 MCAT and have received many early IIs.

As far as LoRs are concerned all schools have accepted my LoRs with substitutions for PA faculty rather than undergrad faculty along with supervising physician letters. I doubt that will be an issue for you.

I think you should add OUWB to your MD schools

Reactions: 1 users
You may want to consider the philly schools but may avoid Drexel since their teaching hospital is closing. Add Oakland-Beaumont, Rush, I was interview waitlist at Arizona-Tucson(state school) because of my interest in rural med. For DO I applied to:
ARCOM
Burrell
UIW
ACOM
ICOM
WESTERN-COMPNW
PACNW
VCOM- only school I didn’t get an interview offer from, in fact they didn’t even send me a secondary app
CAMPBELL

Are you URM, I believe Morehouse and Howard prefer to admit URM students.

Goro has a list of DO schools he likes:

MUCOM
PCOM
CUSOM
NYITCOM
VCOM
KCOM
KCU
DMU
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
UIW
Both AR schools
CCOM
AZCOM both Westerns
BCOM
All LECOMs

He also always says:

Avoid: LUCOM, LMUCOM, Nova, TouroNY, and WM Carey

MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

UNECOM: apply if you're from the NorthEast. Or consider PacNW if you're from that region.

RVU, never been impressed with their match lists and their for profit status, although the latter is not a deal breaker for me. Their being owned by the criminals who run SGU might be.

Thank you so much for your comprehensive list! Yes, I would consider myself URM. I will certainly look into applying to those schools! Is there a reason to avoid those osteopathic schools you listed?

I’m not really sure and too be honest I’m not the best to give advice. I know LUCOM is very religious and LMU is having academic issues. I’m sure you can search threads for his specific answers about those schools. Also being URM opens a lot more doors and your MCAT May be fine for several allopathic schools. You may want to post in what are my chances forum..

Thank you for replying! Glad to see another PA looking to transition to MD. My main concern as well as my advisor's was that my prerequisites that I took in undergrad was reaching a 10 year mark and I would prefer not to have to retake them solely due to financial and time concerns. Did you end up doing a post bac as I see that you graduated college earlier than me. How long did you give yourself to study with (I'm guessing) your full time work schedule?
My schedule is actually not as easy as 12 hour shifts, I work 4 days a week at night with alternating weekends.

I haven't had any issue with my prereqs. My basic sciences were taken in 2006. I wouldn't bother retaking any IMO. I didn't take a pos-bacc. I studied for around 4 months, the first month I was setting up a routine and the last 3 months I really went hard at it. I was working 5 days full time, typical family medicine schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone applying here from prior careers PA or DPT etc... did you pay off all your grad school loans prior to attending?

For everyone applying here from prior careers PA or DPT etc... did you pay off all your grad school loans prior to attending?

Hahahahahahhahhaha no...............

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Hahahahahahhahhaha no...............

I'm considering applying next cycle - as even as a home care DPT I am limited in what I can do for my patients. But I still need to see if it is worth more debt.

What made it worth it for you? The Autonomy? The ability to do more than mobilizing a first rib in the public sector?

Just curious - as I notice I'm not the only DPT/PT considering

I'm considering applying next cycle - as even as a home care DPT I am limited in what I can do for my patients. But I still need to see if it is worth more debt.

What made it worth it for you? The Autonomy? The ability to do more than mobilizing a first rib in the public sector?

Just curious - as I notice I'm not the only DPT/PT considering

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I know you posted this a while ago but I am a current PA applying in 2020. Did you find any success in your application? How was your experience viewed? Any tips? Thanks

I know you posted this a while ago but I am a current PA applying in 2020. Did you find any success in your application? How was your experience viewed? Any tips? Thanks

I’m in the same boat. We should keep in touch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, look into the bridge program that I think LECOM offers for PAs. There are limited seats but I think you can finish med school in 3 years

I’m in the same boat. We should keep in touch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure! Currently in a prerequisite class before applications open. Feel free to PM to discuss applications!

Also, look into the bridge program that I think LECOM offers for PAs. There are limited seats but I think you can finish med school in 3 years
LECOM is a great tool for PAs to utilize. However, some turmoil is occurring within the program. The new PD is offering APAP applicants 4 year medical seats. Apparently he doesn't seem to care for the APAP track at all.

PA practicing for 3.5 years.
Accepted into LECOM APAP program at Seton Hill - matriculation fall 2020, DO class of 2023
Happy to answer any questions if you want to PM me
Good luck

LECOM is a great tool for PAs to utilize. However, some turmoil is occurring within the program. The new PD is offering APAP applicants 4 year medical seats. Apparently he doesn't seem to care for the APAP track at all.

I am just curious. Is he not in favor of a bridge program or just the fact that it is 3 years and not 4?

I am just curious. Is he not in favor of a bridge program or just the fact that it is 3 years and not 4?
From my understanding and what I have learned through students and interviewees was it was more that it was 3 years. Apparently he wasn't in favor of their accelerated tract either.

Status
Not open for further replies.