PA versus RN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaptistNurse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can a PA do that an RN cannot if they both work for a Physician?
I am currently an RN in Texas and I found several Physicians that are lokking for a PA. What can a PA do that I cannot, other than write prescrpitions? If I am seeing patients in a hospital... can I write orders just like a PA can?
Thanks for any info you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently an RN in Texas and I found several Physicians that are lokking for a PA. What can a PA do that I cannot, other than write prescrpitions? If I am seeing patients in a hospital... can I write orders just like a PA can?

Are you for real?

Members don't see this ad :)
just a few minor differences....pa's do:
history and physical exams
admissions, progress notes, hospital discharges, outpt follow up
first assist in the o.r.
interpret and analyze laboratory and dignostic radiology studies
perform procedures
write prescriptions and orders
authorize specialty referals, physical therpay and time off work, etc

if you meant a nurse practitioner the comparison is more appropriate.
pa's and np's are providers.
rn's are ancillary staff like resp therapists and can't write any orders on their own unless following a protocol(apply o2 for sat less than 95%, etc)

Believe it or not, I'm going to go out on a limb here...

There were a few (few) docs in PP who had--in the past--nurses in their practice who would go in to the hospital and make something along the order of a "pre-round" on their pts. and even write a progress note, then report back to the doc. Sort of a "heads up" method, if you will. I haven't heard of this in years, maybe even a score--that tells you how long ago it's been since I've heard of it. But I have heard of it.

But for sure, an RN did not write orders. And any RN asking if he/she can write orders makes my index of suspicion for this being a troll post go way up. However, I'm feeling generous tonight, so this once, I'll give the OP a partial pass on the question. :laugh:

You do realize that the RN takes the orders from the PA, right? RN's also don't write orders. Stop posting crap.

Believe it or not, I'm going to go out on a limb here...

There were a few (few) docs in PP who had--in the past--nurses in their practice who would go in to the hospital and make something along the order of a "pre-round" on their pts. and even write a progress note, then report back to the doc. Sort of a "heads up" method, if you will. I haven't heard of this in years, maybe even a score--that tells you how long ago it's been since I've heard of it. But I have heard of it.

But for sure, an RN did not write orders. And any RN asking if he/she can write orders makes my index of suspicion for this being a troll post go way up. However, I'm feeling generous tonight, so this once, I'll give the OP a partial pass on the question. :laugh:
Still happens. I've seen this as recently as a year or two ago. Admittedly its rare. The RN writes the note and then the physician comes by and signs it. The RN also can write "verbal" orders for the physician. I really don't have a problem with RNs that are hospital employees writing verbal orders, but you have to wonder when they are practice employees.

David Carpenter, PA-C

There's a huge difference between a telephone/verbal order v. what I think the OP is thinking of. Writing your own orders as an RN? I don't think so.

You're on really thin ice if you assume to write an order thinking a doc is going to cover you. Do it with the wrong doc, or do it in a situation where the pt. suddenly tanks and then watch how that formerly "oh so supportive doc" wants nothing to do with you. It's best to always adhere to your scope of practice.

Simple, really. PAs Write Orders and Practice Medicine. RNs follow orders and do not. When an RN fills a precription, it is at the direction of a PCP. For obvious reasons, Protocols and Algorhythms are by direction of the PCP; Not the result of independent medical thought (It is really at the same level as a therapist, who adjusts or holds a medication per their individual, standardized training. Clinical accumen is needed in these positions of course, but neither the intellect nor the responsibility of designing the medical PLAN is required). Because of the protocol nature and inflexibility of NP licensing and training, it could also be argued that PAs are more involved in making their own medical decisions, as well as have vastly superior carreer prospects, not to mention the hostility by MDs towards NPs that the DNP movement has garnered; But I digress...

P.S. - This is stuff most people know, but don't discuss openly for fear of starting a row. Enjoy it while you can. The truth is hard to come by:D

Last edited:
Because of the protocol nature and inflexibility of NP licensing and training, it could also be argued that PAs are more involved in making their own medical decisions, as well as have vastly superior carreer prospects, not to mention the hostility by MDs towards NPs that the DNP movement has garnered; But I digress...

Yeah. Whatever that meant.