PA VS DPT-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dylanh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up? So I posted the same topic in the DPT thread and the PAFORUMS and wanted to know about peoples opinion here as well.

So I want to ask if anybody was stuck between dpt vs pa before they got into the PA field?? if yes, do you regret not going for the dpt or happy with your decision?

is the autonomy better in dpt vs pa?

salary?

job wise?

future of the field?

I have shadowed both professions and I am still confused. I dont think either is a bad choice but I want to make sure I make the right move. Recently I read a thread about pa school being easier than med school and seasoned PAs were going on about how they thought pa isnt satisfactory after 5 years or so of practice and maybe not enjoy it much (came off so)etc

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

very different professions like comparing dentistry and podiatry.
you need to figure out what you enjoy first, not worry about the money, etc
If you really like teeth and like the lifestyle you become a dentist. if you really like feet, working with dm pts all the time, etc you become a podiatrist.
if you like rehab medicine you look at DPT vs PM&R physician.
PA is basically meant to be a 2nd career in medicine, not an entry level job. it is a next step, not a first step.

PA being a second career has been supplanted significantly by being a lot of PAs first real job. It USED to be that way. I sat in on a local PA lecture when I was looking into it that program as an applicant. Obviously I wasn't privy to the specific backgrounds of the class as a whole, but it was clear to see that the dominant demographic represented by far was female in her early 20s. Many of them could have been nurses, but I highly doubt it (I'm a nurse and have yet to meet a nurse that has expressed any interest in PA school... One individual did, but needed up becoming an NP when that PA program rejected them. That applicant had a background that included paramedics, flight, and critical care. The school didn't want that person because they are focused on grades, gre and humanitarian volunteer activities). Even if there were nurses or paramedics in that room that were just out of school, they wouldn't have been more than mere rookies.

In any event, shadowing is a great thing.