PA vs. MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Truth_seeker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a question. I'm definitely going into medicine but am struggling with deciding whether I want to go to PA school or Med school. I'm taking pre-reqs. now but will have to decide soon whether to do post-bac at a large university or keep plugging away at community college. I want to pursue surgery in either arena. I have a family, wife and a little boy w/ a baby girl on her way, that I'm 100% devoted to so I've heard PA makes room for that. However, I want the responsibility that comes with being in complete charge of my patients. I know PA's can get pretty involved with their patients but there still seems to be that lack of complete responsibility. OR, I may be totally wrong on that. Anyway, I'm not afraid of the work or time as I'm wholly committed to making this happen. I don't want to get through school and then say, dang, I wish I would have gone all the way and gotten my MD. I mean I guess it's possible to go from being a PA to being an MD if that's the case but I've got to imagine, that's gotta be another tough road. Any ideas or suggestions you all might have would be invaluable.

Members don't see this ad.

Truth_seeker said:
I've got a question. I'm definitely going into medicine but am struggling with deciding whether I want to go to PA school or Med school. I'm taking pre-reqs. now but will have to decide soon whether to do post-bac at a large university or keep plugging away at community college. I want to pursue surgery in either arena. I have a family, wife and a little boy w/ a baby girl on her way, that I'm 100% devoted to so I've heard PA makes room for that. However, I want the responsibility that comes with being in complete charge of my patients. I know PA's can get pretty involved with their patients but there still seems to be that lack of complete responsibility. OR, I may be totally wrong on that. Anyway, I'm not afraid of the work or time as I'm wholly committed to making this happen. I don't want to get through school and then say, dang, I wish I would have gone all the way and gotten my MD. I mean I guess it's possible to go from being a PA to being an MD if that's the case but I've got to imagine, that's gotta be another tough road. Any ideas or suggestions you all might have would be invaluable.

I understand what you are going through. I contemplated the same thing over and over again. I think the thing that did it for me was that I knew I would always wonder "what if". PA is a great profession, but you should only go in to it if you are totally devoted into becoming a PA. It shouldnt be used as an alternative for med school. If you are really interested in surgery, I would not suggest PA school. PAs are very limited in what they can do in regards to performing any type of surgery. They mostly work in the Primary Care field for Dr.s. If its the complete responsibility you want, I would say go with the MD... Its a much longer road (especially because you have a family and kids) but if they are supportive of you in taking the MD path, that is all you need (well almost :)).

Dont kill yourself taking out loans or trying to go back to a big University to take your prereq courses either. Most (almost all) medical schools accept coursework done at a JC. This will save you a lot of $$, which for me was a big factor as I have a family and child as well. Just make sure you do well on the MCAT and it will pretty much validate the courses you took at the JC.

good luck

Truth_seeker said:

Hi there,
I am a PGY-3 soon to be PGY-4 General Surgery resident. I can tell you that medical school and General Surgery do not preclude having a family and a life outside medicine. Almost every one of my married resident colleagues added to their families this year and none is contemplating divorce. With the 80-hour workweek, residents are encouraged to get out of the hospital and spend more time at home.

Will you be able to spend long hours at home and get through General Surgery residency? No. Are the hours longer than the hours of a PA? Yes. Medical school is an extreme and you will be out of the workforce for four years. In addition to the demands of school, you have to study. Malpractice premiums are up and reimbursements are way dowm. In some states, there is a real crisis for surgeons (West Virginia, Wyoming, Ohio, Pennsylvania just to name a few). There is much uncertainty too. General Surgery went back into the competitive ranks this year with only 2 categorical slots (preliminary slots won't get you to a career in surgery) this year in the scramble. You have to do pretty well in medical school and on your boards once you get in. This is easier said than done for most people. Residency is from five to seven years.

Figure out what you want and how you will be most fulfilled but be very realistic about what you and your family are willing to sacrifice with little guarantee on the other end.

njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. I guess it's like any career one should choose. You can completely immerse yourself and make no time for other things or you can balance the two. I'm sure that the trick is to find the balance in one's life. I spoke w/ my wife and she's afraid of the 4 years. She said two years of PA school would be manageable. I think it will take more investigation and networking to help her find peace. Like I said, I refuse to throw my family out in order to be an MD. With that said, I refuse to throw away my dream of getting into medicine. As for classes, so far, I've totally jumped in head first. I feel that I could go to a larger university (won't work w/ work very well) and do well or go to a CC and learn well too. I'd have to say it depends on how hard I work and study as an individual. My professor's won't sit in an interview. It'll be me that takes classes in med or PA school and me who applies the knowledge. So if that ever came up in an interview I'd have to say that my education in science was my responsibility and I studied and achieved the most I could where I could fit things in. As for the field of surgery I'd like to go into, I'm not really sure. From most of the physicians I've spoken with, they've told me to wait until rotations because you get exposed to so many different facets of medicine that things may and often do change. My goal now is to take these pre-req's and totally absorb as much material as possible that way when the MCAT's, interviews and school comes, I'll be as prepared as possible.

Truth_seeker said:
So if that ever came up in an interview I'd have to say that my education in science was my responsibility and I studied and achieved the most I could where I could fit things in.

Just remember to word it in a positive manner. Talk about and apply your scientific knowledge to present situations.

Good luck.

How old are you?

How much do you like school?

How likely are you to realize that the most important things in life are free, and waiting for you at home (wife and kids)?

It depends on who you are and who your wife is, and what you wanted from your family life.

PA school is just as intense as med school, it's just more "condensed." The studying doesn't end when you leave school, either, because there's a very steep learning curve your first year out of your PA program. After that, you learn at the pace of any resident in the field you've chosen, perhaps a LITTLE slower since you often have more clinical responsibilities they're paying you to accomplish (see patients, do the cases, not take classes/conferences with the residents--though you will go to your fair share of conferences, of course).

As a surgical PA, there will always be some things you "can't" do, because of liability or the nature of the field. However, you will have been in and out of school in 27 months or less, and making 60-80k (depending on your chosen field) sooner rather than later. If you do MD you'll have to wait 4 years to make even 40k as a resident, and work many more hours during residency than a PA would work in their actual job (generally).

Ask yourself what's right for you, but also ask yourself what's right for your wife and kids. Is she willing to support you and raise the kids while you're gone a lot of the time for med school and residency? Or did she think you were going to be an elementary school teacher before the medicine-bug bit you? ;) Was she envisioning a family life where the two of you had equally important (time, money, stability, earning potential) careers and split childcare and household chores completely down the middle?

I'm not trying to say it's impossible to be a physician and have a family at all--because many docs do it. I'm saying that is *does* change the family dynamic somewhat, unless you work VERY hard to organize your professional life around your family. That is doable, but less-so in surgery than other fields (radiology, dermatology, even psych or family practice or emergency med can be conducive to family life if you're smart about it). Surgery is a tough field--it's competitive, it's long hours, stressful, etc. Sure, most surgeons you poll will tell you they have a great family life. But they're SURGEONS. They knew it was long, grueling, and stressful, and they still wanted to pursue it--so you reap what you sow, right? I wonder if anyone out there is polling the surgeon's kids to see if mommy and daddy spend enough time taking them to ball games. Be careful of the flip side.

I was in PA school for a couple semesters, and I realized it wasn't right for me. I wanted a deeper exposure to the medicine, a chance to spend more time and effort on the material and on the transformation from lay-person to healthcare practitioner. My wife and I didn't have kids, though we had both planned to do masters degrees and then enter the workforce; she was gracious enough to understand my dilemma/depression with being where I didn't want to be, and she was very supportive of my desire to go to med school... eventually. After I convinced her I wanted it for the right reasons, and still had a committment to the family life she and I had both dreamt of (phew, after THAT interrogation, medschool interviews were a breeze!). ;)

Good luck to you, whatever you choose. But do remember that your current life situation demands that you make a choice not only for yourself, but for your wife and kids, too. If med school is what you want, do yourself a favor and be completely honest with yourself and your family about why you want it. Help your wife understand that you're not turning your back on the way things were "supposed to be" for you guys, or the way things were going to be. That was very important for my wife when we made the decision that med school was the right path for me.

I am a PA with 7 years of experience-and I am looking to med school in the next 3-4 years once I retire from the military.
I LOVE BEING A PA-but I have reached my limit of what I am doing. It isn't about the bucks-PA bucks on the outside are GOOD bucks. Pay is high, demand is high, and malpractice is low It is about the responsibility level. Being the one to call the shots and sign off on my own flippin chart. I have a tremendous amount of autonomy for a PA, I have earned that from my peers. But I can only hear so many times from so many different physicians that "You NEED to go to medical school-you aren't utilizing your full potential."
In 3 years I will be 42 years old and retireing after 25yrs in the military. 4 years after that, I will be 46 and working as a PA-or 46 and a physician. Either way-I'll still be 46.
Do what you feel is right for you...and realize that it is never too late to go back to school.
Best in your choices...

PA

Hi

I was in the same situation when i was trying to decide to goto NP/PA or Med school. Im 31 now and am looking at being 41-42 after med school and residency. A very intuitive friend of mine asked me this.

You can be 41 and a Doctor or 41 and a NP/PA, however, your going to be 41 no matter what.

Good point. Im going to med school

Hi,
I am an "OLDER" non-traditional student. Let's just say over 50.
I practiced as a PA for 10 years. Previous to that, I was a Radiographer.
The older you get the harder it is to keep all of that NEW information locked into your brain. I am at the end of my 3rd year, and have a very supportive wife. My kids are grown. I know that if I had it to do over again, I would possibly have gone the PA residency program route.....I think....
As an MD, I will have much more income, but as a PA, I had much more flexibility of where I wanted to work, and the type of work I would do. The only problem is, I was not in charge of my life, someone else was. Now if you are in a group practice, I suppose that could be said as well.
I also know that once and MD, several other doors will open that were not available to meas a PA. Incidentally, I would not go the NP route even if you are a Nurse. Nurses actually make excellent PAs. The basis of education is not the same for NPs as for PAs. I will get off of that soapbox now.
Good luck,
Ron