piggy424

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
I'll be interviewing at Pacific U next week. Does anyone know any info about that school. Especially what that school is famous for? I live in CALI so don't know much about it. SUGGESTIONS anyone? :p
Thanks

HYCW

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
Status
piggy424 said:
I'll be interviewing at Pacific U next week. Does anyone know any info about that school. Especially what that school is famous for? I live in CALI so don't know much about it. SUGGESTIONS anyone? :p
Thanks
Hi Piggy424-
My interview at Pacific last Nov was really laidback. Interviews are with one faculty and one student, took about 1hr. Pretty laid back and questions were the ones you should have already prepared for--Why Pacific? Why optometry? Where do you see yourself in 10 years? etc. There's one "ethical" question that you choose blindly out of a hat, but those questions are more about how you think on your feet than the answer themselves.

As for Pacific's reputation, I think you can learn alot from alumni. What impressed me most about Pacific was how much the alumni loved their time there. The ones I spoke with raved about the friendliness of faculty.

At the interview, I heard alot about how Pacific is a great all-around school which is probably true since I think on the west coast, Berkeley gets the proprs for research and SCCO for clinical education.

That's my 2c. Hope it helps. Good luck on your interview!

OP
P

piggy424

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
Dear HYCW

Thank you for your suggestions. It really helps me in preparing and knowing more about the school. So how did your interview go at Pac. U? I bet you also applied to SCCO since you are from LA. How did you manage to answer why you choose to go to Oregon rather than going to UCB /SCCO?

Other than the fact that PAC U is a well rounded school, I also heard that PAC U is really student oriented which is probably very similar to SCCO.

I got onto the alternate list in SCCO so I hope I won't get put in the alternate list in PAC U also! :confused:

K

Kristene9

I loved Pacific when I interviewed. I liked that it was in a smaller town right by a big city and the people there were SOO nice! Everything was really laid back. Just be yourself and friendly and I'm sure you will do fine :)

HYCW

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
Status
Hi Piggy424-
Yep, I also applied to SCCO and Berkeley. I answered truthfully about why I'd go to Pacific: because the alumni loved it and I want to graduate with the same intense feelings about my optometric education. That speaks volumes about the support the school provides their students, which I think in turn makes for more caring optometrists.

Also, I would love to live in Oregon---it's gorgeous!! I spend a week in Southern Oregon every year at a friend's ranch just enjoying nature...it's so beautiful and different than LA. I've never lived outside of So Cal, so this would be a great opportunity to be away for 4 years. Plus, my grandmother and aunt are nearby in the SW Portland area.

I'm sure you'll do great at the interview. Like Kristene9 said, everyone is really really friendly and they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. My tour guide walked me to my interview spot (which was off-campus in the alumni house) to make sure I found it ok, and then the admissions counselor (Michael Goodwin) showed up to also make sure I found it ok. How nice is that?

Rosanna

Not rejected by the CIA
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Status
Optometrist
Hi piggy424-

Nothing to really add. Just wanted to wish you good luck on your interview next week! If I find any information about Pacific from classmates, I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks for being so patient today, and for letting me shine all those lights into your eye. I hope you weren't late for work! =)

- Rosanna

OP
P

piggy424

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
HYCW said:
Hi Piggy424-
Yep, I also applied to SCCO and Berkeley. I answered truthfully about why I'd go to Pacific: because the alumni loved it and I want to graduate with the same intense feelings about my optometric education. That speaks volumes about the support the school provides their students, which I think in turn makes for more caring optometrists.

Also, I would love to live in Oregon---it's gorgeous!! I spend a week in Southern Oregon every year at a friend's ranch just enjoying nature...it's so beautiful and different than LA. I've never lived outside of So Cal, so this would be a great opportunity to be away for 4 years. Plus, my grandmother and aunt are nearby in the SW Portland area.

I'm sure you'll do great at the interview. Like Kristene9 said, everyone is really really friendly and they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. My tour guide walked me to my interview spot (which was off-campus in the alumni house) to make sure I found it ok, and then the admissions counselor (Michael Goodwin) showed up to also make sure I found it ok. How nice is that?
Dear HYCW:
Thank you SO much for your input. Right now, I'm just trying to answer possible hard questions that might be popping up. I'm feeling more comfortable with the interview in Pacific now! So good luck in everything with you :p

OP
P

piggy424

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
Rosanna said:
Hi piggy424-

Nothing to really add. Just wanted to wish you good luck on your interview next week! If I find any information about Pacific from classmates, I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks for being so patient today, and for letting me shine all those lights into your eye. I hope you weren't late for work! =)

- Rosanna
Hi Rosanna
It was nice meeting you today. Guess what happened, my left eye epithelial cells were messed up after today CT or from the light. The optometrist that I work with looked at it and he said the epithelium were a bit torn :eek: Hopefully I'll feel better tmr!! hehe Anyway thanks for saying hi.

Rosanna

Not rejected by the CIA
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Status
Optometrist
piggy424 said:
Hi Rosanna
It was nice meeting you today. Guess what happened, my left eye epithelial cells were messed up after today CT or from the light. The optometrist that I work with looked at it and he said the epithelium were a bit torn :eek: Hopefully I'll feel better tmr!! hehe Anyway thanks for saying hi.
Hello:

Most likely it was the CT because light can’t really damage the epithelium too much. The tonometer tip was actually the one touching the cornea also. It should be better by today. Epithelium cells are sloughed off and replaced everyday so you should be fine.

- Rosanna

ddown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
Optometrist
Hey Piggy,

I am currently a second year student at Pacific. I too am from Southern California and chose Pacific over Berkeley and SCCO (accepted at both) for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, the faculty and staff at Pacific are VERY approachable and knowledgable with respect to their individual specialties. I didn't get that impression at when I interviewed and spoke to students at SCCO. I was not required to interview at Berkeley and never visited so I can't comment about the situation there. Secondly, I really wanted to experience a different part of the country. Be warned though, your first winter up here will be pretty hard, days and days of rain and no sunshine! The curriculum at Pacific is definitely demanding but you will be trained well. Good luck!

OP
P

piggy424

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
ddown said:
Hey Piggy,

I am currently a second year student at Pacific. I too am from Southern California and chose Pacific over Berkeley and SCCO (accepted at both) for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, the faculty and staff at Pacific are VERY approachable and knowledgable with respect to their individual specialties. I didn't get that impression at when I interviewed and spoke to students at SCCO. I was not required to interview at Berkeley and never visited so I can't comment about the situation there. Secondly, I really wanted to experience a different part of the country. Be warned though, your first winter up here will be pretty hard, days and days of rain and no sunshine! The curriculum at Pacific is definitely demanding but you will be trained well. Good luck!
Hi ddown,
Personally I have the same views as you about Pacific. It's nice to live elsewhere besides Cali and it's really patient oriented. I heard that its clinic is remodelled because from the past, it was really old. Do you have any suggestions on that?

ddown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
Optometrist
piggy424 said:
Hi ddown,
Personally I have the same views as you about Pacific. It's nice to live elsewhere besides Cali and it's really patient oriented. I heard that its clinic is remodelled because from the past, it was really old. Do you have any suggestions on that?
Piggy,

Pacific has five clinics in the immediate area. I assume you are talking about the clinic located on campus. It was remodeled along with the approx. half of the optometry building prior to my starting. The clinic and classrooms are now modern and up-to-date. As far as the remaining clinics I have only been to downtown Portland which is a large modern clinic located in a several story medical building and SE Portland which is located in the Multnomah county Health Center. Let me know if you have any other questions. Hopefully and can fill you in on the good, and bad, of Pacific Optometry.

OP
P

piggy424

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
ddown said:
Piggy,

Pacific has five clinics in the immediate area. I assume you are talking about the clinic located on campus. It was remodeled along with the approx. half of the optometry building prior to my starting. The clinic and classrooms are now modern and up-to-date. As far as the remaining clinics I have only been to downtown Portland which is a large modern clinic located in a several story medical building and SE Portland which is located in the Multnomah county Health Center. Let me know if you have any other questions. Hopefully and can fill you in on the good, and bad, of Pacific Optometry.
ddown,

Actually I'll be in forest grove tmr for my interview. I'll go on the tour before my interview so hopefully I get a better feel of the school at that time. Any suggestions for interview before I go there tmr? let me know if you do..Possibly I'll run into you tmr. Maybe you can wear a ''ddown '' name tag. hehe thanks

chester

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
Status
Optometrist
ddown said:
Piggy,

ddown,
I also am considering Pacific. The personality of the faculty and school and location sounds great and is probably a better match for me than SCCO (where I was also admitted).

I have a few concerns/cons about Pacific though. Even though it is 40 minutes from Portland, it's in the middle of nowhere. Forrest Grove is small and I wonder if the campus clinic sees enough variety of patients? Also, there is little or no research done at the school. I view research as a way to introduce students to future aspects of optometry, but does the faculty make up for this by putting 100% of their efforts into teaching?
Are students able to work with post-op patients?
Does Pacific have connections or directions for graduates looking to get started?
It would be easy for me to just go to SCCO because they sure made me say "wow" and continue to impress me because they are so organized and communcate well with the students that have been accepted. But, hot and smoggy SoCal isn't my style. I could handle it for three years though...

ddown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
Optometrist
piggy424 said:
ddown,

Actually I'll be in forest grove tmr for my interview. I'll go on the tour before my interview so hopefully I get a better feel of the school at that time. Any suggestions for interview before I go there tmr? let me know if you do..Possibly I'll run into you tmr. Maybe you can wear a ''ddown '' name tag. hehe thanks
Good luck tomorrow Piggy!

One of my second year classmates will probably give you the tour and/or be part of the interview. My name is Drew, they will probably know me. Let me know your impressions of the school when your done.

-ddown

OP
P

piggy424

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
To ddown and Chester

WOW! I love Pac U sooo much. I cannot emphasize how much I enjoy my time their. Since I'm from the bay area, Pac U seems like heaven to me because everyone there is so friendly. The environment is perfect for the optometry program. It's also really close by Portland so I wont see that a problem if I ever want to have fun at the city. Seems like everyone there is so approachable.
My interview went pretty well Drew. I met Dave and Jeanette from your class. Dave interviewed me and Jeanette gave me the tour. They are truly wonderful people. I wonder if I saw you today. Pac U definitely :thumbup: .
Compared to SCCO, I would say Pacific U would be much more lay back. First because of the weather. Secondly, people are just fantastic there. Of course, I wont doubt SCCO is as great. Pacific is a well rounded school and I really loved the practice clinic at Pac because of their elaborate setup and instruments. Even though they might not be seeing as much patients as SCCO , Pacific students might get to spend more quality time with patients. So I think there's always a pro and con to that. I would say, if I get accepted to Pacific I will :D .

By the way Drew, I am trying to find Dave's and Jeanette's email address. Do you happen to know their email? I want to send them a thank you note!!! They were both really helpful and I am so glad to meet them both. Won't it be funny if you interviewed me though?

Thanks for all of your input !!!