Pacific University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optometry1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I have an interview at Pacific in Feb and was wondering if anyone had any tips for me? I was just curious what the process was like in comparison to other interviews. I also wanted to know what the town of Forest Grove was like, what was the weather like, etc. I just wanted to get an idea before I head out to Oregon. I have to be serious if I move there since my home is all the way in Florida!
Thanks!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
I have an interview at Pacific in Feb and was wondering if anyone had any tips for me? I was just curious what the process was like in comparison to other interviews. I also wanted to know what the town of Forest Grove was like, what was the weather like, etc. I just wanted to get an idea before I head out to Oregon. I have to be serious if I move there since my home is all the way in Florida!
Thanks!
:)

Hey I haven't had an interview invite yet. Could you tell me when you submitted all your applications and when did they invite you for an interview? thanks so much

Hey I haven't had an interview invite yet. Could you tell me when you submitted all your applications and when did they invite you for an interview? thanks so much

I submitted the stuff to OptomCas last week of november. They received it a couple days later and offered me an interview within two weeks. I got a call and and email. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted the stuff to OptomCas last week of november. They received it a couple days later and offered me an interview within two weeks. I got a call and and email. Good luck!

Thanks! i'm interviewing in feb too. I would say Oregon is definitely different from florida in terms of weather. Expect colder winters than you're used to (slightly above freezing). From what I heard from a graduate, Forest Grove is a very small town where everybody knows each other and that its hard to get around without a car.

Thanks for the input! I am actually ready to leave Florida and get away from all this humidity! I would have my car shipped there because I heard the same thing. When are you interviewing? I will be there Feb 10th and I can't wait! I won't go to my other interview if I get into Pacific. I went to one in Boston already and have one for Indiana after Pacific.

Thanks for the input! I am actually ready to leave Florida and get away from all this humidity! I would have my car shipped there because I heard the same thing. When are you interviewing? I will be there Feb 10th and I can't wait! I won't go to my other interview if I get into Pacific. I went to one in Boston already and have one for Indiana after Pacific.

I am going to Pacific on February 10th as well! I fell in love with the city when I was in Boston, and have been accepted, and have three other interviews lined up before then, so I am not sure if I am going to make it. Also, I am a big city girl, and it would be tough for me to dance in Forest Grove (I am an avid dancer)... but I really like Pacific the school, and what alums have been saying about it. Decisions, decisions!

Hello everyone. Anyone going on Feb 24?

I'm going feb 24! I wonder how many seats they have filled. End of feb seems kind of late...?

Hello sugarandspice. Yey, atleast I know a person going with my interview date.

I'm thinking the same. Let's just give it all we have. :)

I have interviewed medical students for a residency position at my ER program - so it's not the exact same as your position BUT I think I can give you some pointers.

- Focus on the task at hand. Don't look around the room, don't zone out. Keep eye contact (force yourself) at all times. Do not look BEHIND the interviewer.
- Don't be cocky, keep good posture, firm handshake.
- Don't LIE. If you write that you read books, be sure you can recite a few titles out and the summaries if asked. If you say you speak spanish, you better be able to converse in spanish. You LIE, you DIE (in terms of acceptance).
- For the love of *blank*, please be peppy and don't be boring. SMILE! And engage in the conversation.
- Look presentable. Dress the part - you are a professional!

I (and my attendings) have completely crossed out people from our interview lists who were top of their class, board scores beyond 99%ile, stunning LORs, fantastic volunteer work in Kenya/Haiti or wherever.... building houses for AIDS people. It doesn't matter on interview day.

I had crossed someone off my list who zoned out during the interview. I crossed someone off the list who was seated like he owned the place (crossed legs, angled to the side).

This is your shot to make it in. They obviously like you based on the written paper. Shine during interview day and you'll get in.

Thanks pinipig523, I will surely take those into consideration. :thumbup:

Good morning. Does anyone know if this is an open or close file interview? Also, if we have to write an essay that morning?

Good morning. Does anyone know if this is an open or close file interview? Also, if we have to write an essay that morning?
From What I have heard, it is closed filed and we do write an essay in the morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to Pacific on February 10th as well! I fell in love with the city when I was in Boston, and have been accepted, and have three other interviews lined up before then, so I am not sure if I am going to make it. Also, I am a big city girl, and it would be tough for me to dance in Forest Grove (I am an avid dancer)... but I really like Pacific the school, and what alums have been saying about it. Decisions, decisions!
If you are an avid dancer than you will probably be happier in a city. I looove Portland area, but it is just not a place for dance. Boston, New York or Chicago are excellent for those things! But I agree-pacific is an awesome school.:)

From What I have heard, it is closed filed and we do write an essay in the morning.

Awesome. Thanks Optometry1988.

Does anyone know if any one got wait listed or placed as an Alternate yet? Just wanted to see if they already started doing that.

Hi everyone!!

I interviewed at PUCO on Dec 9 and was called on Dec 19th to be offered acceptance! I can answer some questions about the interview experience (since it's still fresh in my mind).
The interview is closed file, so you are really given a chance to express yourself outside of your grades. My friend helped me practice for the interview by doing a few of the questions from SDN (found here by school http://studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=optometry). I'm a very good public speaker and a really quick thinker on my feet (modest, I know.. but it is the majority of my job description :D), but even I felt a little uncomfortable going into the interview without any practice.
I wouldn't say at this point that academics *don't* matter - obviously if you're sitting in the lower GPA/OAT ranges, this is your time to really show them that you are capable.

The above is pretty general, but I can answer questions on this thread. I can't give away any specific questions that they asked me during my interview, but I wasn't asked anything I wasn't expecting to be asked (if that makes any sense). I also won't reply to private messsages just because multiple people might ask the same thing, so just ask here and I will try to answer as best as I can!

GOOD LUCK!! :luck::luck::luck:

My interviews at SCO and ICO were both very conversational and fluid, no set questions, just talking back and forth. I was a little surprised when my PUCO interview started because they had a set list of questions that they asked.. just be prepared for that. Otherwise, not a big deal, they're still all really nice people and they just want to get an idea of who you are and how you perceive/present yourself to others.

As for the weather, I was there in January and the weather was beautiful for the first two days I was there (they all said there hasn't been as much rain this winter as there usually is) although there was frost on my car window in the morning that I had to scrape off (rental company provided a handy dandy scraper). The day I left it was lightly raining and gray...

Hi everyone!!

I interviewed at PUCO on Dec 9 and was called on Dec 19th to be offered acceptance! I can answer some questions about the interview experience (since it's still fresh in my mind).
The interview is closed file, so you are really given a chance to express yourself outside of your grades. My friend helped me practice for the interview by doing a few of the questions from SDN (found here by school http://studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=optometry). I'm a very good public speaker and a really quick thinker on my feet (modest, I know.. but it is the majority of my job description :D), but even I felt a little uncomfortable going into the interview without any practice.
I wouldn't say at this point that academics *don't* matter - obviously if you're sitting in the lower GPA/OAT ranges,this is your time to really show them that you are capable.

The above is pretty general, but I can answer questions on this thread. I can't give away any specific questions that they asked me during my interview, but I wasn't asked anything I wasn't expecting to be asked (if that makes any sense). I also won't reply to private messsages just because multiple people might ask the same thing, so just ask here and I will try to answer as best as I can!

I had to like re-read the bolded quote 3x. Now, gotcha! Thanks for taking the time to help us.

Last edited:
Sorry! What I mean is... your entire application matters at every single point in the application process. I think some people are under the false idea that once you're invited to a 'closed file' interview, you've made it past the 'whether-or-not-your-grades-are-good-enough' hurdle. I don't really see this as the case. My coursework and OAT scores were mentioned in the interview and obviously were part of the deciding factor - being invited to an interview didn't mean that I no longer was judged on my grades. Future interviewers should keep this in mind!

I see. I thought PUCO have the same as or close to "interview invitation criteria" as SCCO.

It's good to know that. I'll surely keep that in mind.

Hi everyone!!

I wouldn't say at this point that academics *don't* matter - obviously if you're sitting in the lower GPA/OAT ranges, this is your time to really show them that you are capable.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback! My OAT was average but I have good grades so I hope that helps! I tend to be great at interviews so I hope that helps in my favor as well! Pacific is my dream school! :) They must have liked something or they wouldn't have invited me! lol. I am glad I am not one of the last interview days, although feb is still a little late in the cycle. I think they interview about 200 students but accept about 90. Still have a good shot!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback! My OAT was average but I have good grades so I hope that helps! I tend to be great at interviews so I hope that helps in my favor as well! Pacific is my dream school! :) They must have liked something or they wouldn't have invited me! lol. I am glad I am not one of the last interview days, although feb is still a little late in the cycle. I think they interview about 200 students but accept about 90. Still have a good shot!
Good luck! At this point I think they've accepted at least 50 people. Also, I think a tad over 400 people apply and ~180 get invited to an interview, so the chances are pretty good. The one piece of advice I can offer is to have a very interesting and unique answer to the 'Why optometry?' question. I had a chance to attend 2 PUCO info sessions at my university before applying, and both times was told that they're sick of hearing the usual answers to that question. I definitely gave it a ton of thought before my interview, and I recommend you do the same if you haven't! You definitely want them to remember you in the committee meeting the week after ;)

So my flight and hotel is booked. Now, I have think about transportation.

Did anyone tried the TriMet? Is it tourist friendly (ex: having sufficient signs) to tell me where to go, how/where to pay, etc? It feels like it's going to be an adventure (takes 2 hours); however, I do have a lot of time to spare. Also, I would like to take multiple pictures.

Did anyone tried the TriMet? Is it tourist friendly (ex: having sufficient signs) to tell me where to go, how/where to pay, etc? It feels like it's going to be an adventure (takes 2 hours); however, I do have a lot of time to spare. Also, I would like to take multiple pictures.

The MAX (TriMet) is pretty easy to deal with. You can buy a ticket in the airport on the baggage level - right before you go outside. You just have to make sure you switch from the Red line to the Blue line somewhere at or before the Beaverton/Sunset Transit stop. Sometimes the trains change lines on their own (I had that happen to me once coming home from the airport) but it is pretty easy to tell that it swapped.

The MAX doesn't go all the way to Forest Grove though, so you have to take the bus from Hillsboro. I've never done that because I usually just drive to Hillsboro but I have friends that have gone that route. There is a transit center in Hillsboro where the MAX drops you off and the bus will pick you up.

I've never felt unsafe on it and I think the signs are pretty logical. You can also "plan your trip" on the TriMet website which will tell you where to get on and off, and where to swap, etc. Plus - it goes straight through downtown which is kind of fun to look at :)

The MAX (TriMet) is pretty easy to deal with. You can buy a ticket in the airport on the baggage level - right before you go outside. You just have to make sure you switch from the Red line to the Blue line somewhere at or before the Beaverton/Sunset Transit stop. Sometimes the trains change lines on their own (I had that happen to me once coming home from the airport) but it is pretty easy to tell that it swapped.

The MAX doesn't go all the way to Forest Grove though, so you have to take the bus from Hillsboro. I've never done that because I usually just drive to Hillsboro but I have friends that have gone that route. There is a transit center in Hillsboro where the MAX drops you off and the bus will pick you up.

I've never felt unsafe on it and I think the signs are pretty logical. You can also "plan your trip" on the TriMet website which will tell you where to get on and off, and where to swap, etc. Plus - it goes straight through downtown which is kind of fun to look at :)

Yea, I had fun checking out the TriMet. In regards to switching to Red Line to Blue line, maybe they changed it from what your used to. Because from airport to the Beaverton TC, I should only stay on the red line (~1hr). Then, I take the bus from there to go to Forest Groove (~1hr). I hope the interactive map I am currently looking at is correct. But it's good to know that there will be days that it changes lane.

It's going to be my first time stepping into the MAINLAND, so I hope all is well. bwahaha. Oh my, I feel like a tourist already. :D

Thank you QueenieCSS. I'm so excited to take multiple photographs of Oregon and the University.

I am staying for a couple days in Portland with my boyfriend so we decided to rent a car. It can be pretty inexpensive if you book through expedia or cheaptickets.com. That might be less of a hassle than the bus!

I am staying for a couple days in Portland with my boyfriend so we decided to rent a car. It can be pretty inexpensive if you book through expedia or cheaptickets.com. That might be less of a hassle than the bus!

That's awesome. Go get 'em (interview day) Optometry 1988. You must be excited ah.

However, (1)I'm taking my little brother with me and were both under the age of 25. (2) It will be our first time in the mainland/or Oregon. So, just to feel the place out and experience the local culture (esp, the people). Maybe taking the train and bus would be an awesome start. hehehe

That's awesome. Go get 'em (interview day) Optometry 1988. You must be excited ah.

However, (1)I'm taking my little brother with me and were both under the age of 25. (2) It will be our first time in the mainland/or Oregon. So, just to feel the place out and experience the local culture (esp, the people). Maybe taking the train and bus would be an awesome start. hehehe

Thanks! I am sooo excited! Mine is this Friday :) I can't wait to explore the area! I am also under 25 but you can still find cheap deals on rentals. It is also my first time in Oregon...but I am staying through the weekend so I rather have a car! If you need help finding deals, just let me know. I can't wait to see downtown portland! :D

Thanks! I am sooo excited! Mine is this Friday :) I can't wait to explore the area! I am also under 25 but you can still find cheap deals on rentals. It is also my first time in Oregon...but I am staying through the weekend so I rather have a car! If you need help finding deals, just let me know. I can't wait to see downtown portland! :D

I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!! (That goes with everyone that had gotten an interview invite.) Let us know how your days went. So far, my impression of the University base from the Admission to the Alumni's (doctors I shadowed) are very positive. I can't wait to see it with my eyes.

Thank you for your willingness to help. But I think my brother and I have decided to take the public transportation (or might even consider the shuttle). Heheh. Considering that we are not familiar with the roads of the mainland. I am from a country-like place, so I'll observe how things are first. :laugh:

Have an awesome day, Optometry1988!

How did you all do at your interview? Have you heard yet? I wonder if a waiting list is in place yet?

I was put on waitlist and interviewed two weeks ago.

Anyone else get accepted? I got called a week or two ago and turned in my deposit. It'd be nice to connect with our class.

Anyone else still interviewing?

I interviewed at Pacific on February 24th and unfortunately have been waitlisted. Does anyone know how the waitlist system works and if there are any stats on what are my chances of being placed?

hello all. just wondering if anyone who has recently interviewed at pacific has any more tips or warnings? i heard rumors that their interview is tough-asking clinical questions and saying things like your hobbies are a waste of time just to see how you react. i also did not know you have to write an essay the morning of. obviously i will not ask what the exact question is, but was it a pretty straight forward topic and do you have enough time to write it? is it on a computer?

I interviewed back in November. The interviewers were super nice and it was pretty laid back. I don't remember any "see how you react" questions. The essay is really short and it is a straight forward question w/ pen and paper.

There were some ethical and hypothetical questions which you can't prepare for anyways. I thought I answered poorly but got accepted. I think there is no right answers. It depends on how you justify and deliver the answers.

hello all. just wondering if anyone who has recently interviewed at pacific has any more tips or warnings? i heard rumors that their interview is tough-asking clinical questions and saying things like your hobbies are a waste of time just to see how you react. i also did not know you have to write an essay the morning of. obviously i will not ask what the exact question is, but was it a pretty straight forward topic and do you have enough time to write it? is it on a computer?

The essay is written in the morning and it's honestly not too bad. you have about 10-15 minutes to write it, which is more than enough time since you don't have very much room to write lol. It's written with a pen & paper and you are able to choose between two topics. The interview itself was a bit tougher than the other ones I had been to, but just practice going over some questions beforehand and try your best to relax. Good luck!

How did you all do at your interview? Have you heard yet? I wonder if a waiting list is in place yet?

Unfortunately, I wasn't accepted. I respect the decision of the admission committee.

It was a nice campus indeed. Oregon was breathtaking, I guess it's because it was my first time to be on the mainland.

pudgie84, the above posters seem to have given you some awesome tips & info. Best wishes to you!

I just gave up my seat at Pacific, so hopefully one of you will get my spot. =)

Unfortunately, I wasn't accepted. I respect the decision of the admission committee.

It was a nice campus indeed. Oregon was breathtaking, I guess it's because it was my first time to be on the mainland.

pudgie84, the above posters seem to have given you some awesome tips & info. Best wishes to you!

aw im sorry you didn't get in :( PCO seems to care ALOT about GPA and OAT scores than the actual interview. did you interview anywhere else?