pacific

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkbubbles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted to Pacific and the interview gave me a very positive impression of the program and school atmosphere. However, the thing that I am a little worried about is how much fun I'll have outside of school compared to a bigger city. I know that it's only a short drive from Portland, but the problem is I won't have a car. Will I have a fun experience here compared to going to a school in a bigger city?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that it's only a short drive from Portland, but the problem is I won't have a car.

I am going to Pacific next year. I have no idea what there is to do in Forest Grove but I will have a car and would probably be willing to fill it with people when I head out to do fun things. Based on the feel I got from the students when I interviewed I bet other people will be willing to do the same!

There is nothing to do in Forest Grove. Period. You have to go somewhere else to find something to do. I'm not into the the night life thing or drinking, so I can't say how good that is, but I imagine Portland has a fine night life scene, you just have to drive to get there or take the Maxx train in. If you like to do outdoor stuff there is a ton of things to do within an hour of Forest Grove. So ya you have to drive to places, but it has been fun exploring the northwest (I like the outdoor stuff). You won't have a ton of time anyways. You'll probably find some time on the weekends here and there to go out and do some things. Definetly plan on studying more than playing though. And if you come to Pacific, don't let the first 3 weeks of class fool you. They are easy with no studying but it does get a lot harder. Anyways, I'm just rambling now :). Good look with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is nothing to do in Forest Grove. Period.

Going to disagree with you a bit there... there are fun things to do in Forest Grove, if you know where to look. Depending on your tastes, you can...

• Free bowling Thursday nights
  • couple local bars, especially Players Pub, are always fun for a random Friday night
  • free movies at McMenamins
  • free movies at Forest Grove Theater
  • free soaking pool (a HUGE hot tub) at McMenamins
  • couple of pool halls
  • 2 cute little wine stores with free tastings within a block of school
  • Thai, Chinese, Mediterranean (belly dancers!), Pizza Schmizza, coffee shop with yummy cinammon rolls within a block of school
  • within 30 minutes of MANY wineries (someone will definitely want to explore with you, if you are into wine, so ride won't be an issue)
  • short drive to a few golf courses
  • free frolf/frisbee golf/ultimate frisbee (whatever it is called) at McMenamins
  • house parties :)D)

Portland is awesome! There are so many cultural events, bars/clubs, outdoor activities you can do, you'll never get bored and you wouldn't have time to do it all anyway. You can take the bus to get to the MAX and take the MAX to get into Portland. Plenty of people will be willing to go out in Portland, and so long as you are willing to chip in for gas, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a ride. You'll be pretty busy, but there are an endless array of things to do to fill your free time. Living in Forest Grove is kind of a blessing in disguise because while there are fun things to do, they aren't as tempting as a night out in Portland. Living in a big city like Chicago (or wherever you applied) would probably be a touch more convenient, but the bottom line is go to the school you liked best - you'll have fun no matter where you go.

Going to disagree with you a bit there... there are fun things to do in Forest Grove, if you know where to look. Depending on your tastes, you can...

• Free bowling Thursday nights
  • couple local bars, especially Players Pub, are always fun for a random Friday night
  • free movies at McMenamins
  • free movies at Forest Grove Theater
  • free soaking pool (a HUGE hot tub) at McMenamins
  • couple of pool halls
  • 2 cute little wine stores with free tastings within a block of school
  • Thai, Chinese, Mediterranean (belly dancers!), Pizza Schmizza, coffee shop with yummy cinammon rolls within a block of school
  • within 30 minutes of MANY wineries (someone will definitely want to explore with you, if you are into wine, so ride won't be an issue)
  • short drive to a few golf courses
  • free frolf/frisbee golf/ultimate frisbee (whatever it is called) at McMenamins
  • house parties :)D)

Portland is awesome! There are so many cultural events, bars/clubs, outdoor activities you can do, you'll never get bored and you wouldn't have time to do it all anyway. You can take the bus to get to the MAX and take the MAX to get into Portland. Plenty of people will be willing to go out in Portland, and so long as you are willing to chip in for gas, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a ride. You'll be pretty busy, but there are an endless array of things to do to fill your free time. Living in Forest Grove is kind of a blessing in disguise because while there are fun things to do, they aren't as tempting as a night out in Portland. Living in a big city like Chicago (or wherever you applied) would probably be a touch more convenient, but the bottom line is go to the school you liked best - you'll have fun no matter where you go.

Mediterranean Belly Dancers?! Where in Forest Grove?:eek:

I recently got accepted to Pacific and the interview gave me a very positive impression of the program and school atmosphere. However, the thing that I am a little worried about is how much fun I'll have outside of school compared to a bigger city. I know that it's only a short drive from Portland, but the problem is I won't have a car. Will I have a fun experience here compared to going to a school in a bigger city?

I was recently in the same spot as you. I was trying to decide between Pacfic and SCCO. I was quite worried about the fun element at PUCO. I did end up choosing PUCO though. I figure having Portland only 1/2 an hour away will be close enough to enjoy on weekends but not so close that it would interfere with studying. I also will not have a vehicle my first year or two, hopefully I'll make friends with some people who do ;). There is also the MAX that goes into Portland, I think. I am sad to think about what I gave up (SUN) but Pacific is closer to home and will end up being less expensive for me. I still don't know if I made the right choice, but I am sure it will end up ok. I am just really excited to be going to optometry school!!

Good luck with your decision! Maybe I'll be seeing you at Pacific!

I'm also choosing between a California school and Pacific too. I feel like Pacific is genuinely concerned about their students and really help them to get a job/network after graduating. But, I'm also concerned about the weather since I've lived in CA all my life. In one of yesterday's MSN articles, "Top 10 Saddest Cities" Portland was ranked #1 due to # of cloudy days, suicide rates, unemployment, and depression... I have 30 days to choose...

In one of yesterday's MSN articles, "Top 10 Saddest Cities" Portland was ranked #1 due to # of cloudy days, suicide rates, unemployment, and depression... I have 30 days to choose...

I read that article too! I decided on Pacific over other schools and I am originally from Cleveland, Ohio, the #2 city on their list. Trading up (or down?) I suppose ;)

I have lived my whole life in a place without a full year of sun but it's not that bad I promise! When I think about it, the happiness I had during those times never really depended on the weather but what I did in that weather and who I did it with.

I know you do need to consider your own personal feelings when it comes to giving up sun but I promise if you plan fun things to do you may even forget about the bad weather from time to time! Occasionally putting on old clothes and running through the puddles is actually fun!

I'm also choosing between a California school and Pacific too. I feel like Pacific is genuinely concerned about their students and really help them to get a job/network after graduating. But, I'm also concerned about the weather since I've lived in CA all my life. In one of yesterday's MSN articles, "Top 10 Saddest Cities" Portland was ranked #1 due to # of cloudy days, suicide rates, unemployment, and depression... I have 30 days to choose...

I wouldn't worry about that article. I believe I heard on the radio St. Louis was #2 and I'm from STL. (And, I thought it was Seattle that was #1) I l-o-v-e my city and it is not depressing. I've never been to Portland but I hear it is an amazing city full of mindful, cool people. A big group of my friends moved out there last year and they are not coming back.

Sometimes you don't see the sun for a week or two in a row, but that usually makes it easier to study, because you don't feel like you are missing out on much. The summers are absolutely beautiful though... and make up for the rest of the year. One bonus to the rain is everything is green and lush all year round!

I definitely don't feel any more sad, depressed, etc than I did before moving here. Maybe a little stressed on occasion, but that is the result of school, not the weather!

Thanks for all the responses you guys. I ended up talking to an optometrist who went there and she loved it and told me all the fun things you can do there. Part of me knew I would end up choosing Pacific, but I just wanted some reassurance that I won't be bored there. This thread definitely helped. The weather is not a problem for me since I'm from the far north (Canada :laugh:). But yeah, I'm really excited now and I look forward to seeing some of you there in the fall!!!