Pages per day - Study Schedule Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to start to craft my study schedule for Step I so I have time to gather all of my materials and get a feel for the sheer amount of material I'll need to cover during 6-7 weeks.

Roughly how many pages should I be doing per day? Is it highly book dependent? Also it obviously differs person to person.

I'm was planning on using FA, RR Path, BRS Phys, and CMMRS mainly reading for ~6 hours and doing some questions after per day.

I feel like 75-100 would be doable, but I may be way off.

Cliffnotes: How many pages per day did you study for Step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did calculations when I was studying and I managed a conservative 20 pages per hour of careful reading in RR Goljan. So it depends on how many hours you study per day.

I did calculations when I was studying and I managed a conservative 20 pages per hour of careful reading in RR Goljan. So it depends on how many hours you study per day.

Hopefully this isn't considered hijacking or anything, but McGillGrad, did you do much actual note-taking during this time too? Or was most of your Step I prep basically just reading and remembering? And how did that compare to your approach to your regular coursework in M1/M2?

Thanks.

Just trying to start to craft my study schedule for Step I so I have time to gather all of my materials and get a feel for the sheer amount of material I'll need to cover during 6-7 weeks.

Roughly how many pages should I be doing per day? Is it highly book dependent? Also it obviously differs person to person.

I'm was planning on using FA, RR Path, BRS Phys, and CMMRS mainly reading for ~6 hours and doing some questions after per day.

I feel like 75-100 would be doable, but I may be way off.

Cliffnotes: How many pages per day did you study for Step 1?

You just answered your own question.

But to add to that, it's not the number of pages per day or the number of hours per day that matters; it's the quality of your study time, what/how much you get out of it.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully this isn't considered hijacking or anything, but McGillGrad, did you do much actual note-taking during this time too? Or was most of your Step I prep basically just reading and remembering? And how did that compare to your approach to your regular coursework in M1/M2?

Thanks.

I know that some people take some sort of notes, but I didn't take any notes. I only occasionally jotted down a few key phrases or ideas that I wanted to connect to something else later on.

I did annotate some review books and UW missed-questions into FA but not too much.

I found that reading and then doing questions was much more practical and effective at solidifying the information than adding new notes to the pile of review material.

The number of pages you need to cover per day will depend on the total number of books you plan to use. Add up all of the pages, divide them by the number of days you have to study, and that should give you an estimate of how many pages to read each day. Remember though, that you want to finish all of your reading early so that you can review any difficult concepts, you want to keep the short term memory topics (micro,pharm) for last, and you want to do as many questions as possible, hopefully going over your Qbank twice and giving yourself time for practice exams and rest and days off and exercise, etc. etc. You also want to leave extra time for hard concepts, and less time for easier more familar ones. Try your schedule out for a week and readjust as necessary. Good luck!