Paging all premed advisors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok all? Here are the facts.
Sex: Male

desire: to be a doctor
experience: EMT--- Volunteer. e.r.
undergrad gpa: 3.1 B.A. speech and hearing
grad gpa: 3.2 4th semester grad student
date of graduation may 2002 M.S. spch/Lang. path.
Question: How does one know if they have the credentials to make the change from grad school to the unchartered waters of the post-bacc. world
Question? Does it help or hurt to complete an M.S. and move on to become a doctor.
Question? What about my gpa? Is it to low to become a doctor.

I appreciate any input because your input will likely help me as well as others?????

Thankyou

Members don't see this ad.

wannabedoc,

While I am not a premed advisor, and I dont have a lot of knowledge on this subject ( I am still learning myself!!)
I think your GPA may be a little low for allopathic schools, but you may be able to get into a DO school. It could also depend on how you do on your MCATS too, that could make a big difference. But if I were you, I would probably consider going for my MS to help raise my GPA.If becoming a doc. is what you really want, then go for it! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, I wish you the best.

if you want to raise your undergrad GPA (hint: you do, since this is the GPA from which med schools make their inital screen), your time would be better served in a post-bacc program. Ace that, and it will raise your undergrad cum GPA (you should shoot for a minimum 3.3 if you're thinking allopathic... and that's low, unless you rock the MCAT). I was in your shoes at your age 5 years ago; I'm an MS 1 now. It can be done!

Members don't see this ad :)
Been there. Repeat after me. Do very well in any remaining prerequisites and MCAT...MCAT...MCAT...MCAT. Schools love to be able to compare MCAT scores. Not kidding around I know our admissions folks. A 34 on the MCAT and a good sincere person will have a good chance. Do what you have to to score well. Most med students who only have science background find the verbal section the most difficult. The LSAT test prep stuff for there verbal section was very helpful. Remember these passages are not about science. They are about trout conservation and Shaker furniture assembly so read for meaning and author perspective. Good luck.

Your undergrad and grad GPA are almost irrelevant now for med school. You say nothing about the science prereqs so I assume you have not taken them yet but are considering doing so. In that case, a postbac program seems appropriate. Those grades will be key. By that time, your undergrad and grad record will be essentially irrelevant. Your record so far is not shabby, so I wouldn't worry about it.
And of course, your MCAT scores will have to be high. But the MCAT tests in the basic undergrad sciences (which you have not taken), verbal reasoning which is independent of the sciences, but it is very helpful to be well read all around. In my opinion, the MCAT is more a test of test-taking skill when time is at a premium, than of actual knowledge. Knowledge helps, but most MCAT takers have the knowledge when they take the exam, all are bright, but high scores are achieved by relatively few. The writing sample score is relatively unimportant, yet that may vary with different med schools.

Where you take the science courses is very important. DO NOT take them at a 2-year college. It doesn't have be labeled a post bac program; you take them as either a non-matriculated or matriculated undergrad student. Despite what med schools officially may say, that which college does
not matter, it sure does. They cannot say otherwise, but it is otherwise. If you tell me where you located (city; area) I may be able to make suggestions as to which colleges to consider for the courses. If you do undertake preparing for med school, do not try to rush it. If you have a full plate, part-time is OK. Your age will be of concern only to you, not the med schools.

i think that your advice was helpful..so I was wondering if I could ask you a question...
i've done a complete 360 from my freshman year..now a sophomore..i study like mad..and am doing really well in all my class..(4.0 so far in calc 2, physical anthro, and biology) but it's the orgo that's kicking my butt..it's so hard because I've spent so many weekends inside the library..trying to learn this..and then to feel like I actually accomplished something..to feel like "hey..i can learn things if I put the time into it" to find out I fail the exam...it works out that we can drop an exam..but our final counts as 60% which at this point i odn't know how great that is..my question..is this..what advice do you give about how to study for this course??? also...i got C+ in both gen cem 1 and 2, a 4 point in the labs though...how the heck is that gonna look?? sorry if i'm a bit confusing..thanks

Becca
Originally posted by gower:
Your undergrad and grad GPA are almost irrelevant now for med school. You say nothing about the science prereqs so I assume you have not taken them yet but are considering doing so. In that case, a postbac program seems appropriate. Those grades will be key. By that time, your undergrad and grad record will be essentially irrelevant. Your record so far is not shabby, so I wouldn't worry about it.
And of course, your MCAT scores will have to be high. But the MCAT tests in the basic undergrad sciences (which you have not taken), verbal reasoning which is independent of the sciences, but it is very helpful to be well read all around. In my opinion, the MCAT is more a test of test-taking skill when time is at a premium, than of actual knowledge. Knowledge helps, but most MCAT takers have the knowledge when they take the exam, all are bright, but high scores are achieved by relatively few. The writing sample score is relatively unimportant, yet that may vary with different med schools.

Where you take the science courses is very important. DO NOT take them at a 2-year college. It doesn't have be labeled a post bac program; you take them as either a non-matriculated or matriculated undergrad student. Despite what med schools officially may say, that which college does
not matter, it sure does. They cannot say otherwise, but it is otherwise. If you tell me where you located (city; area) I may be able to make suggestions as to which colleges to consider for the courses. If you do undertake preparing for med school, do not try to rush it. If you have a full plate, part-time is OK. Your age will be of concern only to you, not the med schools.

Beccalyn: Were you addressing your request to me?