Paid 3rd/4th year rotation sites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedagain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to how many schools actually pay an amount of money to the hospitals and doctors who take their students for the 3rd and 4th years. I know there are some schools where the doctors and hospitals teach students with no compensation from the school. Is this the norm for DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the question deals more with how many schools actually compensate these people as you stated. The doctors and hospitals for the 3rd and 4th year rotations at PCSOM, for example, are not compensated for their teaching of the medical students during their clinical rotations. I do not know if this happens with other schools as well.

As far as I have seen there is very little compensation if any for the teaching staff, where I currently work there is none. OSUdoc is wrong about academic physicians be paid more, private practice pays a great deal more. Dedication is what drives most teaching physicians. The only compensation I have ever seen has come through research grants.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
Physicians who teach students are employees of the school. They will recieve a stipend for teaching activities as such. They are also employees of the hospital, and recieve pay for their usual activites. The total obviously going to be a higher amount of money than physicians who do not participate in teaching.

It is not abnormal for a teacher to be paid to teach, is it?

Duh!!!

You're missing the point of the post. I want to know which schools rely on paid faculty/clinicians for the clinical rotation years vs. which schools rely on volunteer faculty/clinicians for their clinical rotation years.

Apparently PCSOM (according to jawicobike) relies on volunteer clinicians in their program. I want to know if this is the norm for other DO schools as well.

Ok OSU I see what you are saying.

Confused -

Yes they do sometimes get paid to do lectures (these lectures are usually in someway tied to there own research), no they do not get paid to participate in clinical rotations, as attendings (at least the ones that i know don't). Some faculty will get additional pay such as program directors, chairman, etc. But the majority of attendings do not. Hope that clears it up.

OSUdoc08 said:
You are confused as to what I'm talking about. I'm talking about physicians who work in the same office and earn the same salary in that office. Let's say one of them also teaches at the school. That would be additional money---not less.

You're forgetting the fact that they're taking time away from the office/patients in order to teach.

If they get paid something to teach MS1/2 classes, like they do at OSU, they usually don't get paid anywhere near what they could make seeing patients. That is why at OSU your clinical professors are either fully-employed by the school (so their salary includes teaching and patient care) or are part-time or retired physicans from the community. I know one full-time doc who used to teach an afternoon of clinical skills each week and he decided to stop because he was losing so much income.

For the MS3/4 rotations that are at the hospital, those docs are employed by the state and receive a salary to cover both their patient and teaching time. They, at best, make an average salary for their specialty...and some of them make notably less than average for their specialty.

Resurrectnig this post instead of a new one

What do rotation sites get paid? Because I saw rotation sites take in 10 or more students for site that at most should only have 2-3. I don't see why they would do this unless they got monetary compensation.