Paid orthodontics residencies? Easy ones?

Started by EJDDS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EJDDS

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi- 2 questions about ortho programs:

1. Does anyone know which orthodontics programs pay their residents?

2. Which programs are easier to get into and which ones are the most competitive?

(I've looked on the Am. Assoc. of Ortho. and couldn't find the answer to the 1st question...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 
this book made by ASDA was helpful. My school had it.

http://68.20.243.219/asda/members_o...ion=view&item=PDD2&catalog=SPGD&pn=1&aff=ASDA

as a general rule, all the programs are hard to get into, you probably have your best shot at your home school.

shorter programs are harder to get into
cheaper programs are harder to get into
programs that pay are harder to get into
programs in a metropolitan city are harder to get into.
programs with a long history of famous orthodontist alumni, hard hitting research (ge Washington, UConn)

I would imagine the newer programs that have no history, no dental school association, no research, few faculty, and that charge outrageous tuition which will saddle you with debt are easier to get into, but do you want to be a part of that? (I won't name them, but a quick search on this board will give you the names)
 
this book made by ASDA was helpful. My school had it.

http://68.20.243.219/asda/members_o...ion=view&item=PDD2&catalog=SPGD&pn=1&aff=ASDA

as a general rule, all the programs are hard to get into, you probably have your best shot at your home school.

shorter programs are harder to get into
cheaper programs are harder to get into
programs that pay are harder to get into
programs in a metropolitan city are harder to get into.
programs with a long history of famous orthodontist alumni, hard hitting research (ge Washington, UConn)

I would imagine the newer programs that have no history, no dental school association, no research, few faculty, and that charge outrageous tuition which will saddle you with debt are easier to get into, but do you want to be a part of that? (I won't name them, but a quick search on this board will give you the names)
Even the programs that accept oodles of residences, charge 55k/yr, no research and are recently set up, what do you think the stats of those applicants are? Boarder line ranked 20-30% tile with 88 Part I?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
St Barnabas Hospital and Montefiore Med Ctr in the Bronx, NY both pay salaries to their ortho residents. Although Monty takes back some tuition, there is opportunity to live in hospital subsidized housing. Not so for Barnabas.
 
Mayo Clinic. Pays ~ $50,000 per year. No tuition. Very competitive, as they take only 1 ortho resident per year.
 
in general, hospital based programs pay stipends and are very competitive. Also, programs with excellent reputation (i.e. UNC, UW, UConn, Michigan ...etc) are very competitive
 
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I guess I could go to each and every program's website to find out if they pay or not...was hoping it was published somewhere.
Thanks for the idea, but before I run out and buy that ASDA publication, do you know if it states all the paid programs in it?

The reason that I'm asking about the easier to get into/versus harder to get into programs...is to cut down on applying to EVERY program out there. I'm sure there are some programs (like Mayo) that I shouldn't even bother applying too...(~1 resident, paid program, no tuition, etc. = wasting my time & money.)

Also,

* Is it true that it is recommended to take the GRE, because most applicants try and avoid taking it and so the competition is slightly less for those programs?

* Do you know which programs are very clinically oriented versus those that are primarily focus on research?

* I also heard that some programs ONLY accept already practicing dentists/GPR folks, some that only accept those straight out dental school and some that only accept applicants from their home dental schools. Any ideas which ones those would be?

So many questions...I really do appreciate all your input! Thanks.
 
... some programs (like Mayo) that I shouldn't even bother applying too...(~1 resident, paid program, no tuition, etc. = wasting my time & money.)
But Mayo has an awesome program director🙂. He had been the program director at my program before he accepted the job at Mayo.

* Is it true that it is recommended to take the GRE, because most applicants try and avoid taking it and so the competition is slightly less for those programs?
That's true and you should take the test. I didn’t so I only applied to 17 non-GRE programs.
* Do you know which programs are very clinically oriented versus those that are primarily focus on research?
Louisville has a very strong clinical program. The residents make all the ortho appliances. The good thing about this program is it is weak in research…..one can easily get the MS degree without having to spend a lot of time.
 
Last edited:
* I also heard that some programs ONLY accept already practicing dentists/GPR folks, some that only accept those straight out dental school and some that only accept applicants from their home dental schools. Any ideas which ones those would be?

So many questions...I really do appreciate all your input! Thanks.

UNC prefers its graduates (and i think UConn also)
 
Thanks again everyone for all your helpful answers.

I am just a tad overwhelmed at this whole application process.

I am losing confidence because so many of the applicants around me have parents, connections, etc. in ortho which guide them and give them all the ins and outs of getting in.

And...believe it or not, they keep real hush hush about it all. I ask, but they non-chalantly don't want to share or fib because they feel that they are "helping the competition."

Go figure...I am far from a threat as I don't know any contacts in the ortho field AND I'm not as competitive as they are academically anyways. So I really don't know who to turn to to get all my questions truthfully answered, as many of them as you can see above, are quite subjective.

So I'll keep adding to the pile of questions I guess, LOL!...

* Do practicing dentists or those who have specialized in other fields have an advantage to getting in ortho?

In other words...if a less than stellar applicant applies after other dental epxeriences, does this really help? Or does it all come down to grades/ test scores/connections?

I really do appreciate all of your time and honesty.
 
i believe grades and connections or, better said, recommendation letters from "highly reputed" faculty members will do the job

and i am in the same situation, i have no connections and my performance is not "excellent" but close to and i have applied to as many schools i can economically afford

sometimes i feel so confident that i will receive more than one offer! other times i think i may not receive any invite for interview

Ortho admission is VERY unpredictable, yes when you have +90 board scores and upper 10% ranking with 3.9 GPA you will most probably get lots of interviews, but to match is another story

you can check last year posts for a student from UW with (94 part I, 1/55 ranking) (provided he applied only to few schools, may be 6, and got about 4 interviews, two of them are conflicting)

anyway, it is a good post and lets continue to share info
 
Hi ,
I am a dentist frm India. I have scored 86 in the part 1. I am a fresh graduate with little experience in research and presently writing a paper with a professor at harvard.
I am very keen in joining residency in orthodontics .
I would be very grateful if u cud plz suggest me wich universities to apply and wat r my chances to get in.