Paid Residencies

Discussion in 'Dental' started by AndiB, Jul 17, 2006.

1. AndiB

AndiB Member
    5+ Year Member

hey everyone, i apologize if this question has already been asked but...do all specialties except oral and maxilo surg. require one to pay tuition? im assuming it depends on the program you go to (community hostpial vs university) but assuming that you have to pay, how could you even begin to pay your entire dental school education off? if you have to pay tuition, are the hours ok (9-5) such that you could work during the evening to earn some kind of income? thanks a bunch!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MD2b20004

MD2b20004 Membership Revoked
    Removed

My friends who did GPR and Peds got paid. And NO you got no time to work, they were burnt out as it is. And the loans can always be deferred.

4. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    Friendly suggestion to the OP:

Take the advice of someone who starts every dental-related post...

...with a big grain of salt.

5. FreshBreath

FreshBreath Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am sure this is redundant but is there a website with different GPR's and they pay?

6. MD2b20004

Removed

Edited. Was unprofessional in initial response to the OP quoted which he instigated something that should not have taken place because I was responding from my knowledge to the original OP and did not really ask for his unwanted opinion or useless advice. This is a professional site so I edited the previous response to his post. Like they say do not argue with idiots because it will bring you down to their level and they will beat you at it from experience...

Take Care all

7. scalpel2008

scalpel2008 beep beep beep...smash
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    quite a juvenile response there. per your avatar you have 17998 years left before you get your MD. Is that the extended program?

8. unlvdmd

unlvdmd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

HA!!!!! Funniest thing I have heard all night. But you're competing with Regis and David Hasselhoff on this horrible TV talent show. Is this the crap I have been missing my DS2 year?

9. Prosdoc

Prosdoc New Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are many residencies of varying specialties that are paid. I'm currently a third year pros resident and here at OSU, they waive tuition and give us a stipend. There were other programs though that had no stipend and did require the resident to pay tuition. As far as previous loans, those are still in deferment as long as you are a resident

10. rarm1

rarm1 Senior Member
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The Amereican Dental Assoc has a list of all programs. tuition/salary vary with each and change each year. Best to check with the program and current residents.

Most OMS, GPRs pay, many AEGDs pay... other programs are often no salary and you pay tuition. Our program pays the mid $40,000 with many benefits.

Loans are deferable....

Key is what you want and how hard are you willing to work. Post grad dental school programs often have weekends/evenings off to work..BUT readings may make that hard. Hospital programs there is generally no time for moonlighting.. and often its banned.

Again speak to former and current trainees and see what they say.

11. MD2b20004

Removed

Wow, I never thought we have high up executives on this forum, thanks for the contribution.