Paid to Precept

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilcoWorld

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else getting emails like what I received today?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Offering $1,000 honorarium to precept our NP student

Dear Dr. WilcoWorld,

Our nurse practitioner student, John Wantsyourjob, APRN, from Not a Medical School University of Health Providers, is seeking an Emergency Medicine / ER preceptor in Your Town USA, for a 120 hour rotation, starting This Summer, 2023.

Would you or someone on your staff (MD, DO, or NP) consider precepting him?

Sorry, not gonna do it.

Also, $8.33/hour to answer a bunch of questions that'll slow me down?!? That's insulting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Oh hell no.

Even if it paid a lot more. Nope.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else getting emails like what I received today?
Re: Offering $1,000 honorarium to precept our NP student

Dear Dr. WilcoWorld,

Our nurse practitioner student, John Wantsyourjob, APRN, from Not a Medical School University of Health Providers, is seeking an Emergency Medicine / ER preceptor in Your Town USA, for a 120 hour rotation, starting This Summer, 2023.

Would you or someone on your staff (MD, DO, or NP) consider precepting him?

Sorry, not gonna do it.

Also, $8.33/hour to answer a bunch of questions that'll slow me down?!? That's insulting.

I’m also getting more and more against the idea of training NPs who are taking physician jobs despite their minimal training. I refuse to support that training model - if you want to practice medicine, go to a real school that teaches pathology and physiology - writing papers on ethics is not going to teach you medicine -_-

Reactions: 7 users
I’m also getting more and more against the idea of training NPs who are taking physician jobs despite their minimal training. I refuse to support that training model - if you want to practice medicine, go to a real school that teaches pathology and physiology - writing papers on ethics is not going to teach you medicine -_-

For real.
I get these emails.
They can eff right off.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm surprised they approached you. They usually target family doctors near retirement or they scan the state medical board and look for doctors with licensing issues/black mark.

• Wow
If you’re RVU, these idiots will cost you money even if they paid 4x as much.

A69A5E6E-6E9A-4675-BDB2-7727697043F5.jpeg

Just reply with this image.

• Haha
again, I am from a very different world - but we used to get paid $900 a month to precept from several schools - plus I could just have the pharmacy students actually do work for me. Normally still not worth it unless I owned a store and I could replace techs with them (that I had to pay) - but my hospital (affiliated with a pharmacy school) requires me - and for taking two students a year I get an meaningless bump in my annual review- so effing annoying

There's no amount of money that would make me help these unstructured degree programs.

Yes, your NP students can be taught by NPs for $8/hour. You want to be trained by a physician, then go to medical school and residency. The cost is much higher. So is the benefit.

again, I am from a very different world - but we used to get paid $900 a month to precept from several schools - plus I could just have the pharmacy students actually do work for me. Normally still not worth it unless I owned a store and I could replace techs with them (that I had to pay) - but my hospital (affiliated with a pharmacy school) requires me - and for taking two students a year I get an meaningless bump in my annual review- so effing annoying
Oh, I precept a lot of students for no extra $$$. But they're allopathic med students.

Not surprising. Quite a few respectable PA schools will give $600-1200 for a 4wk student ED rotation. We occasionally get PA students (usually people we know…) and split the stipend between the PAs who serve as their primary points of contact / preceptors… doesn’t get you rich but gets you a nice dinner.

I get approached by NP students all the time (often people I sorta know from work as RNs, or one degree separated like a floor RN to NP or a ED RN’s sister who’s in NP school, etc.) to allow them to rotate with me (personally, not like a month in our ED… just me). That answer is universally no. I also get cold call emails relatively often for NP students.

I think I remember someone posting this thought before and it stuck with me. Teaching NP students is like a mother bear eating her own cubs. Or something to that degree.

As a hospitalist, I usually got these offers from my LinkedIn account.

In fact, I had one last week. Here is it:

Hello Dr. Spenda88

My name is Omer, Founder & CEO of RotationsPlus. My passion is helping medical learners find their perfect rotation. We offer a $1,500 per 4 weeks/student honorarium. Would you be interested in this opportunity?