Paid to Precept

Started by WilcoWorld
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WilcoWorld

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else getting emails like what I received today?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Offering $1,000 honorarium to precept our NP student

Dear Dr. WilcoWorld,

Our nurse practitioner student, John Wantsyourjob, APRN, from Not a Medical School University of Health Providers, is seeking an Emergency Medicine / ER preceptor in Your Town USA, for a 120 hour rotation, starting This Summer, 2023.

Would you or someone on your staff (MD, DO, or NP) consider precepting him?


----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, not gonna do it.

Also, $8.33/hour to answer a bunch of questions that'll slow me down?!? That's insulting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else getting emails like what I received today?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Offering $1,000 honorarium to precept our NP student

Dear Dr. WilcoWorld,

Our nurse practitioner student, John Wantsyourjob, APRN, from Not a Medical School University of Health Providers, is seeking an Emergency Medicine / ER preceptor in Your Town USA, for a 120 hour rotation, starting This Summer, 2023.

Would you or someone on your staff (MD, DO, or NP) consider precepting him?


----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, not gonna do it.

Also, $8.33/hour to answer a bunch of questions that'll slow me down?!? That's insulting.

I’m also getting more and more against the idea of training NPs who are taking physician jobs despite their minimal training. I refuse to support that training model - if you want to practice medicine, go to a real school that teaches pathology and physiology - writing papers on ethics is not going to teach you medicine -_-
 
I’m also getting more and more against the idea of training NPs who are taking physician jobs despite their minimal training. I refuse to support that training model - if you want to practice medicine, go to a real school that teaches pathology and physiology - writing papers on ethics is not going to teach you medicine -_-

For real.
I get these emails.
They can eff right off.
 
A69A5E6E-6E9A-4675-BDB2-7727697043F5.jpeg

Just reply with this image.
 
again, I am from a very different world - but we used to get paid $900 a month to precept from several schools - plus I could just have the pharmacy students actually do work for me. Normally still not worth it unless I owned a store and I could replace techs with them (that I had to pay) - but my hospital (affiliated with a pharmacy school) requires me - and for taking two students a year I get an meaningless bump in my annual review- so effing annoying
 
again, I am from a very different world - but we used to get paid $900 a month to precept from several schools - plus I could just have the pharmacy students actually do work for me. Normally still not worth it unless I owned a store and I could replace techs with them (that I had to pay) - but my hospital (affiliated with a pharmacy school) requires me - and for taking two students a year I get an meaningless bump in my annual review- so effing annoying
Oh, I precept a lot of students for no extra $$$. But they're allopathic med students.
 
Not surprising. Quite a few respectable PA schools will give $600-1200 for a 4wk student ED rotation. We occasionally get PA students (usually people we know…) and split the stipend between the PAs who serve as their primary points of contact / preceptors… doesn’t get you rich but gets you a nice dinner.

I get approached by NP students all the time (often people I sorta know from work as RNs, or one degree separated like a floor RN to NP or a ED RN’s sister who’s in NP school, etc.) to allow them to rotate with me (personally, not like a month in our ED… just me). That answer is universally no. I also get cold call emails relatively often for NP students.
 
I think I remember someone posting this thought before and it stuck with me. Teaching NP students is like a mother bear eating her own cubs. Or something to that degree.
 
As a hospitalist, I usually got these offers from my LinkedIn account.

In fact, I had one last week. Here is it:



Hello Dr. Spenda88

My name is Omer, Founder & CEO of RotationsPlus. My passion is helping medical learners find their perfect rotation. We offer a $1,500 per 4 weeks/student honorarium. Would you be interested in this opportunity?