Pain Fellowship ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kindredspirit

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completed my residency in PM&R and have found that many of the jobs out there are looking for pain/spine fellowship trained Physiatrist to do interventional procedures. I interviewed for one position, that I was very interested in however, they were specifically looking for someone with experience in chronic pain/opiate med mgmt rather than interventional. Is there a fellowship that would be more suited to learning the "non-interventional" aspects of pain mgmt? I am not interested in doing interventional however, I would like get a more indebth exposure to the various issues dealing with chronic pain. How would one recommend obtaining experience in this area?

Members don't see this ad.

Any pain fellowship should be as much, or more focused on non-interventional pain management that interventional. Anyone who is fellowship-trained should be able to handle every aspect of pain, med management included.

I would not recommend any job where they want you just to do med management, however. Being only an opioid scripter is often no different than being a drug dealer.

This position was at Kaiser. They had someone else doing the interventional stuff and wanted the Physician in this position to deal with the med mgmt aspect.