Pain Groups, imp. question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this message is for Stinky Tofu, Drusso, or anyone else with the real-world knowledge:

Let's say that one goes through a PM&R residency and a fellowship (pain, spine, MSK, etc.) that makes him/her competent in interventional procedures and EMG.

That said, what happens when that person is in a pain group with other big-shot anesthesiologists who know NOTHING about EMG or diagnosing (or even pain, really) but walk around with a fluoroscopy needle mumbling things like "i think we oughta go into the fluoroscopy suite for an ESI..." And, by God, they're the ones trained in Interventional procedures, right?

I guess what I'm asking is this: IS A PHYSIATRIST GOING TO GET SHAFTED INTO ONLY DOING ELECTRODIAGNOSTICS AND MEDS in a pain practice, while the anesthesiologists gobble up all the lucrative procedures?

This is, of course, assuming that the jobs in pain will be attainable through PM&R.

Can anyone please calm my anxiety and confusion/ignorance about this issue? I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Frank

Members don't see this ad.

In a word, no. Why would a group cut its nose off to spite its face? A physiatrist will probably be valued for their EMG skills (keeping EMG dollars in the group) and interventional skills (again keeping indirect dollars via facility fees, office-fees, etc in the group). There should be *plenty* of work to go around.

I agree with drusso, it doesn't really make sense for a group that you're part of to block you from doing procedures. You are part of the group because they wanted you there and it doesn't really make sense for them not to utilize your skills. Also, Pain jobs are definitely attainable through PM&R. I worked with one of the major Pain groups in CT and they were specifically looking for Interventional Physiatrists. Physiatrists have a lot to offer Pain groups because on top of the procedures, we can do EMGs and attract a different set of patients.